How expensive was your electrical task: fitting a consumer unit etc

Recently we were told that all houses must be protected by a Consumer Unit, so as to comply with current legislation and help prevent electrical fires which may result from some form of electrical malfunction.

Our Consumer Unit is made by British General and has two RCDs, whatever they are. The electrician took three hours to fit it. I would be interested to know more about this unit.

Can anyone tell me what a Consumer Unit does (using non-technical language) and precisely what legislation requires that households fit one?

Also, just out of interest, what were you or your friends charged to have one fitted and how long did it take to fit?

A big thankyou to all who can answer any/all of these questions. ;)

A consumer unit it just another name for a fuse box. Mains electricity will come into it from your electricity meter and be distributed throughout your home.

The consumer unit will contain fuses to protect you and your stuff from certain electrical faults. The RCDs (residual current device) are switches that quickly turn off the electricity if a failure is detected (such as an overloaded device or a faulty cable).

Check this out for some more details and a pic or two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_unit

I didn't think it was the law to have a consumer unit fitted, the last place we rented had a proper old-school fuse box.

Also, just out of interest, what were you or your friends charged to have one fitted and how long did it take to fit?

You expect the electrician to supply and fit one for free? :loopy:

A consumer unit it just another name for a fuse box. Mains electricity will come into it from your electricity meter and be distributed throughout your home.

The consumer unit will contain fuses to protect you and your stuff from certain electrical faults. The RCDs (residual current device) are switches that quickly turn off the electricity if a failure is detected (such as an overloaded device or a faulty cable).

They contain mcbs which do the job of fuse wire but can be reset and are rather more sensitive.I would expect the separate installation of a consumer unit would cost between £300 and £400 depending on the size of the property

I didn't think it was the law to have a consumer unit fitted, the last place we rented had a proper old-school fuse box.

You expect the electrician to supply and fit one for free? :loopy:

I wouldn't expect one to be fitted for free. I know that our model sells for just shy of £80 online. ;)

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 18:11 ----------

Thanks Dave. That Wikipedia page answers just about all my questions. :) We did have an old fuse box, but, for some reason, the electrician thought the new unit was far superior, as well as necessary.

Edited by Native lad

A consumer unit change should be £300-400 as stated. The electrician's cost is not just the cost his time at the site and the materials he uses.

A consumer unit with RCDs needs an extensive pre-installation survey if future problems are to be easily fixable. The electrician has to carry a sensitive test meter that needs yearly recalibration and also has to expect a certain number of such board changes to result in problems such as nuisance tripping of the RCDs that the customer will expect to be fixed for free. Add on professional, public and employees liability insurance and it is not unreasonable to have to pay £40/hr for a technical trade.

However, there is no law that says you have to have a modern consumer unit but given how much safer they are, it is very worthwhile. Well done for taking your electrician's advice.

Tony - not an electrician.

Why do people think that paying £65 plus VAT at a garage (and probably getting a trainee to work on the car) is acceptable but paying a self employed craftperson £30 to £40 an hour is a rip off. The sole trader has all the overheads of a big outfit as well.

Why do people think that paying £65 plus VAT at a garage (and probably getting a trainee to work on the car) is acceptable but paying a self employed craftperson £30 to £40 an hour is a rip off. The sole trader has all the overheads of a big outfit as well.

I agree. However, as a skilled tradesman myself, I do find it morally difficult to justify charging in excess of £30/hr to Joe public, although I know many others who do and still manage to keep a straight face.

A fuse box is a consumer unit.