Do I need permission to use famous people's names in a fictional book?

Hi,

I've sorted out a storyline (and written out a rough draft) of a book that I want to self-publish on Amazon.

The book's a sort of light-hearted space adventure along similar lines as Hitchhikers Guide (mine obviously not as good).

The problem I've got is that one of the central character's very well known ... Sir Alan Sugar. This is important/pivotal to the plot ... I cannot change the name.

I've downloaded Amazon's self help manual for publishing, but to my mind it's not very clear as to what to do when including a real-life personality. It's sort of implying that I need permission off Sir Alan before publishing (or, for even bothering to write the book in the first place). Their 'Contact us' button would only appear to work if you fill out all sorts of stuff that I can't answer at the mo (until I've written the book).

At the same time, I've read (by author, Ed Halliday, for one) that you can write pretty much whatever you want with impunity in fiction ... this giving rise to my confusion.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I stand with this predicament?

Do I try to contact Sir Alan at Amstrad or 'The Apprentice' office, do I need to? Should I just give up instead of wasting months of my time?

Oh yeah, also ... can I mention historical figures like a dead Russian leader (and his made-up son)?

By the way ... there's no way I'm being anything but complimentary about Sir Alan in my story ... he comes out as a bit of a hero to be honest (although fun is made).

Thanks! :)

No, you don't need his permission. He's a public figure anyhow. But the "Any resemblance …" preface to your book will take care of any liabilities.

IANAL.

No, you don't need his permission. He's a public figure anyhow. But the "Any resemblance …" preface to your book will take care of any liabilities.

IANAL.

Thanks Phanerothyme, that was quick! :)

Although I have no reason to disbelieve you, can you point me in any direction where there's some kind of legal statement to this effect please (If you have the time).

So basically, I can have Sir Alan Sugar, his Rolls-Royce and famous catch phrase, as well as Nikita Khrushchev in my story, so long as I do the 'Any resemblance to ...' thing? (seems to be stretching the 'pure coincidence' odds a bit)

Things may be looking up for me!

(By the way ... I've sort of published a very basic/ill-written version of my story on this forum before. It's now a lot more complete).

Thanks for your time!

Yeah, if people can write plays and novels about Margaret Thatcher, The Queen, or Cameron and Salmond negotiating a Scottish withdrawal from the Union without any problems, you should be OK.

...In a similar vein, I'm currently more than half way through the first novel of mine in a planned trilogy, but in the second, which I am already outlining, I have been planning a scene where a lot of well-known Hollywood celebrities and music stars are trapped in a vast cave by the villains. Nothing otherwise really bad happens to them, (they all get out in the end) but I take it that it is OK to mention names and maybe even refer by description to familiar features? As it is set during the 1990's some of the said celebrities will be deceased, but many of them may be still living. I am aware, however, that some movie/music celebrities do not like misrepresentation, so how does that figure? Will publishers have to check with them all before ok-ing all the names?

You can mention anyone you like in your books. So long as you don't libel them or present them in any sort of negative light, you will not have broken any laws.

However, being legally in the right won't protect you from the people concerned taking legal action against you, and those legal proceedings can be costly and complicated to defend yourself against.

I strongly advise you to take legal action before publishing anything in which you mention anyone from real life; and if you can't afford it, then do not publish these works. It's just not worth going ahead with it if you've not protected yourself, as you could easily end up bankrupted and homeless.

I've seen the results of such actions and it's not pretty. Look after yourselves, please.

Let me know when it comes out, I'll be your first customer your eminence