Do you remember Rowlinson Technical in the 60's

Can any one remember Mr Kay, Buzz, Bumble,and all the other from the 60's

I went to Rowlinson Technical in the early 70s, did Elecronics, but i carn't remember any of the above they must have moved on by that time. Sorry

Originally posted by coyleys

I went to Rowlinson Technical in the early 70s, did Elecronics, but i carn't remember any of the above they must have moved on by that time. Sorry

They would have I imagine

I am an electronics engineer, but when I was there electronics was in its infancy. There was only ONE computer in Sheffield in the 1960's at Pond St College- Incredible! I used to have to take data from work (Laycocks)to be processed when I went on day release and pick it up when I went to Night School.

All this as well being a barman at the Nelson :thumbsup:

Originally posted by artisan

Can any one remember Mr Kay, Buzz, Bumble,and all the other from the 60's

Hazy memories. Dr Stephen Kay - retired during my time. Replaced by Peter Dixon. Can remember the names Buzz and Bumble. Was one of them Mr Rutherford? - taught Maths I think and for some reason woodwork comes to mind. I feel I should know the other nickname but cannot put a face and name together. The language lab held many terrors for me - being "listened" in to by ? Mr Shipley and the other, smaller one - Spike was his nickname I think. Did Art with Michael Hildred and the other scary, aggressive one - Pete Holmes I think. Enjoyed Games with Mr Ibbotson - Keith I think. Always a laugh with him. English was good - a woman teacher who for some reason I remember as Welsh and had a squint. Took great delight in rapping small boys across the knuckles with a steel ruler. On a roll now - we also had another English teacher Tall, gangly bloke who looked as though he'd come out of Hammer House of horror. Dropped a rather large, heavy bible on a boys head once. (perhaps he deserved it, cannot remember).

Played Spot against the old gym wall pre alterations. Tore my first pair of long trousers playing football on the tennis courts. Saw my first Carry On film when I joined the Cinema club after school. Learnt to play chess in the Chess club, again after school. Did Athletics for the school.

Looking back - they weren't bad days all in alll

Mr Kay the greatest headmaster of all time. Mr Fisher taught me how to do maths, He was brilliant

Rowlinson was a great school

they were called Buzz etc. because they kept bees at the bottom of the fields where I believe they have built a housing estate.

'That were all fields in moi day by eck'

Buzz Bumble-woodwork(removed splinters with chisel)

Mr Simpson-metalwork

Spike(ass. head)-french

Mr Johnson-physics(school trip expert)

Pop Ellis-percussion band

I departed 63 for employment and I'm still working

Some really good memories

I went to Rowlinson Technical in 1966.

The head was Mr Charles Kay (known as Yak)

The deputy head was Cyril Askham, called Toj after the Japanese WWII emperor Tojo (both small, bald and round glasses)

"Fred" Barker taught history.

"Pop" Ellins was my first form master (he taught maths).

"Buzz" was Rutherford.

The Hammer Horror enlish teacher was Stephen Clarke who we called Adam Adament (after the TV show).

French was taught by Spike Godfrey and Mr Shipley.

Art was run by John "Killer" Holmes and Mike Hildred.

Others I remember are:

Alan Benskin - Geography

Mr Holt - Physics

"Harry" Roberts - Chemistry

Keith Ibbotson - PE

Mr Reddish - RE

Mr Copeland - Woodwork

I'll add to the list when memory returns if anyone is interested.

Stayed until 6th form in early 70's. Was friendly with Yvonne Spink if anyone knows her.

Thanks giotto - that's filled in a few gaps. Adam Adamant - that's the bloke. How it all comes back. Remember Alan Reddish now you mention him. He was the one who took groups of us out into the community. Decorated my first ever house on Woodseats Road because of him and once rode pillion on his motor bike.

Once told to go and ask Toj for the cane. "Won" a burping contest in the library when a group of us were meant to be quiet. Cannot remember who was supervising us but he sent me to Toj to ask for the cane.

Can remember most of class register (don't get out much!!). All males

Addy; Bamforth; Bettison; Brown; Danks; Davison; Fisher; Fovargue; Gill; Globe; Goode; Guite; Hall; Hilton; Hopkins; Liversedge; MacDonald; Nixon; Owen, Parkinson; Pearce; Rowlinson; Shaw; Shaw; Simm; Skelton; Waite; Westwood: Wetherall

I think that's everyone. Apologies to any readers if I've missed them out.

I was the first term of 1967 and remember Mr Benskin being popular, also Mr Dawson, who taught English, reading us The Hobbit and encouraging me to read Lord of the Rings. An influence, definitely.

The strangest teacher of all taught music, was a dab hand at the hurled board rubber and was either very amusing or quite frightening, depending on the phase of the moon.

Originally posted by rogil

I was the first term of 1967 and remember Mr Benskin being popular, also Mr Dawson, who taught English, reading us The Hobbit and encouraging me to read Lord of the Rings. An influence, definitely.

The strangest teacher of all taught music, was a dab hand at the hurled board rubber and was either very amusing or quite frightening, depending on the phase of the moon.

That sounds abit Mr Rowley i think his name was