Why don't Europeans use clothes pegs?

This is just a silly trivial question. I've recently spent a few weeks in Germany and the house we stayed in had all the usual laundry facilities and a rack to hang the clothes on outside, but no washing line and no sign of any pegs.

Visiting several supermarkets, it was possible to buy some washing line, but I never found any pegs for sale.

Then I noticed, when back home again that a neighbour, from another European country does the same thing. She puts all her family's drying clothing on a clothes rack outside with no pegs. It often blows off on to the floor!

I have a similar rack but I only use it for hanging small items on, inside the house upstairs as it would be too much hassle to peg them out. I'd never imagined that anyone would use such a dryer outside.

So does anyone know or can suggest why there should be a difference ?

:thumbsup:

So Clearly not an issue in old town in Italy then. Does anyone know about Germany and other parts of Europe?

Guest sibon

What an odd assertion. Europeans certainly do use clothes pegs, there are some on my line right now in downtown Sheffield, Europe.

The French use them too. I'm off in a couple of weeks, I could pick you a pack up from LeClerc if you like.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Actually I may have a clue. Some years ago I read an interview with Arsene Wenger which include the question why British players weren't generally speaking as technically gifted as Europeans.

He stated that when he first came to England and started taking training sessions he couldn't believe how windy it was and how regular the wind blew.

Obviously that makes it more difficult to control the ball and pass accurately over distance.

It also makes it more difficult to keep your undies on the line without clothes pegs!

Carlinate,

Who are what is (an) Arsene Wenger ?

Are you sure you haven't made a typographic mistake?

I have just ordered some new Clothes Pegs, as the ones we have do not grip the washing line and the clothes slide all over the place. Got some that will.

Different cultures, would we drape the Duvet out of the bedroom window for all to see, in

mainland Europe everyone seems to do it. I f did it they would be pinched.

I have just ordered some new Clothes Pegs, as the ones we have do not grip the washing line and the clothes slide all over the place. Got some that will.

Different cultures, would we drape the Duvet out of the bedroom window for all to see, in

mainland Europe everyone seems to do it. I f did it they would be pinched.

There are different types of clothes pegs. Years ago everyone had wooden ones which with wear could lose their grip. Now they are all plastic and some are even storm proof.

When Ive stayed in Italy there was pegs for the washing line.

German guy in my office also concurs that Germans use peggs too.

I t is windier here than Europe. Funnily enough today is forecast at 5 mph which is just about the limit for no pegs, but if you look at a decent weather report you will see how rare that is.

My family in Germany use clothes pegs.

Carlinate,

Who are what is (an) Arsene Wenger ?

Are you sure you haven't made a typographic mistake?

Sorry you've lost me, is there a joke of some kind in there that's gone over my head?