Half billion redevelopment project announced.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-s-new-480-million-retail-quarter-will-be-the-envy-of-europe-1-8519616

Should read "Half billion white elephant project that will be the laughing stock of Europe"

Why will people just not accept city centre retail is dead?

Insufficient parking (that doesn't cost a week's wages)

Insufficient reliable public transport.

Trying to get large retail into the city centre is moronic. They will come, last about a year because there isn't enough trade and leave.

That and it's SCC so we'll end up "remortgaging" it halfway through and spend the next 50 years paying back four times as much ala Don Valley...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-s-new-480-million-retail-quarter-will-be-the-envy-of-europe-1-8519616

Should read "Half billion white elephant project that will be the laughing stock of Europe"

Trying to get large retail into the city centre is moronic. They will come, last about a year because there isn't enough trade and leave.

That and it's SCC so we'll end up "remortgaging" it halfway through and spend the next 50 years paying back four times as much ala Don Valley...

It looks to me that the total retail floor space is not increasing, maybe even decreasing. The whole Waingate area is ceasing to be retail. Not all the demolished areas around the top of the Moor will be rebuilt as retail.

It's more a plan for bring all the retail closer together and making the shopping area more compact. It will feel more like a proper city centre afterwards, not strings of badly connected streets.

Looking forward to it.

Oh here we go again.

Negativity, whining and criticism about a draft proposal which has barely got the ink dry.

Attitudes like the OP really do sum up why we have the city in its current state.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 16:18 ----------

It looks to me that the total retail floor space is not increasing, maybe even decreasing. The whole Waingate area is ceasing to be retail. Not all the demolished areas around the top of the Moor will be rebuilt as retail.

It's more a plan for bring all the retail closer together and making the shopping area more compact. It will feel more like a proper city centre afterwards, not strings of badly connected streets.

Looking forward to it.

Could not agree more.

I've never found parking a problem in the city centre. Yesterday I had to go into town to do some things. Even on a Saturday afternoon I had no problem at all finding a parking space in John Lewis multi-storey. At (I think) £2.40 for 2 hours it didn't seem too bad for me.

Increasing the number of shops people want to go to might make parking more difficult in future. But as it is now, if you really think there's "Insufficient parking (that doesn't cost a week's wages)" you ought to try most other cities!

Guest makapaka

That's the spirit!!

Good grief. Talk about looking at the negatives!

That's the spirit!!

Good grief. Talk about looking at the negatives!

But Sheffield City Centre is a craphole....and just how do you get to the bottom of the Moor and back (so you can take "advantage" of the "wonderful" new market, Primark, T J Hughes and all the other "delightful" things it has to offer) from the Tram stops - I gave up trying to work it out when the Freebie ceased to be.

Since then if I want a DECENT market or a DECENT shopping mall I'll go over to Doncaster.

Sheffield City Centre is dead on it's feet.

Guest makapaka
But Sheffield City Centre is a craphole....and just how do you get to the bottom of the Moor and back (so you can take "advantage" of the "wonderful" new market, Primark, T J Hughes and all the other "delightful" things it has to offer) from the Tram stops - I gave up trying to work it out when the Freebie ceased to be.

Since then if I want a DECENT market or a DECENT shopping mall I'll go over to Doncaster.

Sheffield City Centre is dead on it's feet.

Well you'll be glad to read they're investing £480m in it then.

Surely arguments about how 'bad' it is currently are in favour of the investment?

And the complaints about parking are nonsense, there's plenty and it's cheaper than comparably sized cities.

Surely arguments about how 'bad' it is currently are in favour of the investment?

And the complaints about parking are nonsense, there's plenty and it's cheaper than comparably sized cities.

But until the roads are empty other than the person who wants to shop, and that person can park on the street for free outside their chosen shop's doorway, Sheffield will always be anti-car and thus totally impossible to get around.

I think it is fairly anti-car, but parking isn't the issue, nor the cost of it.