Bachelors Foods

I worked next door to the building of batchelors as it was getting smashed up by vandals. One dinner we had a walk around the landscaped garden at the rear, i couldn't beleive that this had just been left,we even found a pond.

Anybody used to work there?

If you mean the factory on Claywheels lane, I worked there with a mate for a short period back in 1969,they used to have a coach that used to take workers from wadsley bridge up to the factory.I also remember they employed loads of students.

I think the gardens were in front of the office block, I worked on the green bean production line,they were unloaded from lorries on to a conveyer belt,which took them through a washing process,then through a Blanching machine(which partly cooked them),then they were sliced and the last process was Drying them by hot air.

I worked in the Drying plant for a while,it was absolutley unbearable the heat in that building, we were given salt tablets, and they had a milk churn full of orange squash, with a ladle stuck in it.

I was glad to leave Batchelors, not one of the best Temp jobs I've done.

Hope this jogs a few memories. Steve

I spent one summer working there in the canteen, shift work, better paid than Basset's. I can remember tottering accross little bridges over channels which were carrying peas. The lads told tales of frogs getting in and being mashed up in the mushy peas! Hmmm..

This was in 1975 0r 6

I remember the staff shop where you could buy reduced items, i especially remember getting impulse body spray really cheap. My mum was a cleaner there. :thumbsup:

Hi I worked at Batchelors from 1967 until 1979 as computer room manager mainly. The computer was in the basement of the Head office. The gardens were at rear of the H.Q with the railway line running at the side. I,m very pleased that you've updated me, cos I do have an awful lot of memories. I would welcome further chats with anyone, re questions etc. P.s. I,m 80 now.

KERLYTOPS. RE.Frogs in mushy peas. On afternoons, I used to take my evening meal in the works canteen. As I got served at the counter, I noticed several bluebottle flies in the cabbage. When I pointed this out the lady said 'It's alright Luv, we've been spraying!!. She then said 'I'll give you another meal. Will you want cabbage with that !!!. I said 'No thanks, I've just remembered, I've got get back.!

anyone know of any old photos of batchelors at claywheels lane.

Further memory. I was passing the main factory exit, just as the morning shift was coming out. Someone shouted 'SECURITY CHECK'. After everyone had been searched the ground was littered with a grand selection of all Batchelor's products!. Vulan B2 where did your mother work?. As I type this, a lot of names are flooding back.I,ll post further memories. I've got stacks. A question now. Does anyone know the history of the house which nr.the bridge on Limestone Cottage Lane. Bye for now.

PETERPETE. Appreciate your interest. I personally can't think of any photos,sorry about that.,but know a lot about Batchelors history if anyone is interestd. Further to that Gerry Kersey, Mon eves on Radio Sheff. has a huge audience. Hope you keep your posts coming. Bye for now.John.

Further memory. I was passing the main factory exit, just as the morning shift was coming out. Someone shouted 'SECURITY CHECK'. After everyone had been searched the ground was littered with a grand selection of all Batchelor's products!. Vulan B2 where did your mother work?. As I type this, a lot of names are flooding back.I,ll post further memories. I've got stacks. A question now. Does anyone know the history of the house which nr.the bridge on Limestone Cottage Lane. Bye for now.

hi, my aunty worked in Batchelors canteen on the night shift. She was there in the 60's and 70's, she retired about '82 she is in her 70's now and lives on parson cross, I am sure she could share a few memories with you, I'll let her know about this thread.

ps i remember her cupboards being full of batchelors peas, curry powder etc, oh and she worked in the canteen so she also had the blue plates in her cupboards....dont know how they got there:suspect:

Edited by shaznay

Thanks Shaznay. I must know your Auntie as we both there at the same time.We had a close arrangement with the canteen regarding meals,due to the odd hours we worked. I wonder if she remembers the 6 week strike in the 70's?. See you. John.