Worst Christmas TV programmes ever !!

This Christmas and New Years Eve and Day programmes have been the worst I can remember ! Repeats of Christmas Films, the Two Ronnies, Morecambe & Wise, Dads Army, The Sound of Music, The Worst TV Moments, The Worst Pop Moments !! Grrrrrr.......... Its sent me mad !! :rant:

The Sound of Music is a classic. And Then There Were None was supposedly very good, though I've yet to watch it, and Sherlock was fun.

I was going to have a look at the ITV adaptation of Ghosthunters; the book was disappointing, but the story (based - very loosely - on the work of real-life paranormal researcher Harry Price) has potential. But after the mess ITV made of Midwinter of the Spirit I decided not to bother.

The best thing I watched over Christmas was White Christmas on Netflix, the annual outing of Scrooged and a marathon of Christmas-themed 80s action films on blu-ray.

There was a lot of dross on and even some of that got repeated again a few days later but And Then There Were None made up for that.

I agree Patricia. I stayed with my Mum for Christmas & both of us were bemoaning the shocking state of Christmas telly.

You'd think given that most people have time off at Christmas, and the weather is predictably lousy, there would be something worthwhile on the telly. But no, same old Shi'ite.

You're right about the glut of the 'best of', 'worst of', 'most shocking' programmes. In fact, why don't they create a television programme called 'The Worst Christmas Television Programme, Ever'. Brilliant! They could spread it out over hours and hours, intersperse examples of crap Christmas TV with talking heads who could remind us how the proliferation of media studies degrees, are essential if we're to have television programming that's informative and entertaining.

A few gems among the dross (and yes, there was plenty of that..)

I enjoyed 'Call the Midwife,' 'And then there were none' (brilliant!) 'Downton Abbey,' and 'Sherlock.'

Nice to see Diana Wynne Jones' "Howl's Moving Castle" get a screening via Studio Ghibli, may have been on Sky... utterly captivating.

The Sound of Music and White Christmas are classic films but do we have to watch them EVERY year ?

The best programme I saw over Christmas was about baby pandas presented by the vet Steve Lennard.

Best thing for me was Katherine Tates nan,Sherlock was confusing big dirty pants,the rest of the tv schedule was slightly less dirty pants.

A few gems among the dross (and yes, there was plenty of that..)

I enjoyed 'Call the Midwife,' 'And then there were none' (brilliant!) 'Downton Abbey,' and 'Sherlock.'

Me too re all of those bar Sherlock which I just can't get into. We also watched the Wizard of Oz with our four year old granddaughter, she was spellbound! Not bad for a film made in 1939.

But I agree with the majority, if we'd relied on TV for entertInment over Christmas we'd have been very disappointed.

I quite agree. I have complained to the Beeb about timings and quality. We have Freeview, and on many occasions, just nothing worth watching. Far too much rubbish from the other side of the pond. Repeat after repeat...... gggrrrr!

^^^ It doesn't give you much confidence when the advert for it has so many spelling and grammar mistakes.

Please note the post the arrows point to has been removed.

Edited by *Wallace*

This Christmas and New Years Eve and Day programmes have been the worst I can remember ! Repeats of Christmas Films, the Two Ronnies, Morecambe & Wise, Dads Army, The Sound of Music, The Worst TV Moments, The Worst Pop Moments !! Grrrrrr.......... Its sent me mad !! :rant:

Thank God for Netflix.:hihi: