History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

I remember the Suzi Quatro one and the Quo one but not the Alex Harvey one

The first gig I ever went to at the city hall was Slade supported by The Alex Harvey Band.

Guest sibon

I have a hazy memory of seeing Mick Ronson in the Spiders From Mars. They were supporting someone else, but I can't remember which band, probably early in the 90s. Can anyone assist my faulty memory?

Buddy Holly, City Hall 1958

I remember going to see Faust , the support band were good but cant remember the name . But when Faust brought on a Jack hammer and started to break up some concrete all the lights came on and that was it , over to the Albert . It cost 50p . Bought the album , might be worth something now :hihi:

The support band were Henry Cow.

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 09:10 ----------

The Slade,Suzi Quattro gig also had Thin Lizzy on the bill

I have a hazy memory of seeing Mick Ronson in the Spiders From Mars. They were supporting someone else, but I can't remember which band, probably early in the 90s. Can anyone assist my faulty memory?

Somewhere I have the flyer for the Hunter / Ronson gig at the City Hall. Guessing late 70s. Great gig.

Also saw Bowie, Slade, Roxy Music, Dr Feelgood, Mink DeVille, John Entwistles Ox, showaddywaddy, Mud, The Bay City Rollers, Gary Glitter, The Glitter Band, Elvis Costello, Fanki Valley and the Four Seasons, The Damned, more recently Gregory Porter, Richard Hawley, Rumer. And there are many more that evade my memory at the moment.

Edited by scargill

That - I would love to have seen.

Wow! never knew Buddy appeared there and I lived in Sheffield then-age 11- I have a mini- poster of him appearing at the Doncaster Gaumont, which I suppose was around the same time and he died less than a year later aged 22.

Hi all - I'm sure there were a few Pop/Rock groups I would have liked to have seen but your title denotes many memories and a whole different perspective for a few oldsters like me, I'm talking about the Big Band era as it was in the late 40's, 50's and I suppose into the early 60's and the City Hall certainly had it's share, as a Jazz fan there wasn't a time like it, it's still around in one form or another but you have to dig for it now and find out where the small groups are playing. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood

I thought I had stuck to the title

Hi bazjea - I'm with you, you've certainly addressed the title admirably and honestly and lets face it our stuff was promoted first. I don't have anything against what came later and had I been around would have taken in a few choice groups I'm sure. fleetwood

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 10:21 ----------

The first music I ever heard at the 'City Hall' was on a field trip from school one afternoon, where SirJohn Barbarelli and the Halle Orchestra performed Sergei Prokofied's music and narration of 'Peter and the Wolf', have heard it many times since and always enjoy it. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood