BRW TV cable period.

In the early 60's, the British Relay Wireless company ran TV cables to every street in our area for connection if required, not sure if it was city-wide. At the time it was eagerly taken up by many suffering poor aerial reception and all the kids played for weeks with the off-cuts of cable left lying around. It must have been colossally expensive, and I don't remember them removing the tons of copper-valuable cable when re-housing demolitions took place; maybe they did, otherwise someone else made a killing.

My own parents had BRW connected due to bad aerial reception where the TV picture kept 'pulling' out of shape. We later heard that some aerial fitters working for Wigfall's etc. positioned the aerials not towards the transmitters, but to the TV signal's reflection from some gas ometters (sp), this resulting in them getting called back to rectify at more expense; don't know if that's true; any old aerial fitters out there, and can a vintage valve TV pick up today's signals without modification ?

You would need a free view box connected to the aerial that has a rf out socket to your TV.the valve TV wont pick up digital signals which I'm sure is all we have in this area.

I remember when the Emley Moor mast blew down.

We were the only kids on our street watching telly:cool:

As you'll know Dun Graftin, that was due to the winds and ice on the cables of the old metal mast.

I think it's time we had a category on here for the over 60's 'cus few know what us old uns are on about; providing we can be un-PC if we wish. ( NO chance, you silly man.)

Yes my parents had BRW on Cross Addy Street remember it was the time JFK died

Still got the cable on my offshot - to high to get to. Seem to remember they paid you 5d, a year rental for running it across your property.