Nicky Hayden: Ex-MotoGP champion dies after collision

Former MotoGP champion Nicky Hayden has died aged 35, five days after being involved in a crash while cycling.

The American collided with a car on the Rimini coastline in Italy on Wednesday, 17 May.

He suffered "serious cerebral damage" and had been in the intensive care unit of Cesena's Maurizio Bufalini Hospital.

Hayden, who competed in the World Superbike Championship in Italy on 14 May, won the MotoGP championship in 2006.

A hospital statement issued on Thursday said Hayden had suffered "a serious polytrauma", which is a medical term to describe the condition of a person who has multiple traumatic injuries.

Hayden's title triumph

The Kentucky-born racer first competed in MotoGP in 2003 and finished third in the standings two years later. He ended Valentino Rossi's five-year winning streak in 2006 following a dramatic final race in Valencia.

Hayden had been eight points adrift of Rossi heading into the decider, but saw the Italian slide out on lap five and eventually finish in 13th place. Hayden's third-place finish allowed him to take the title by five points.

He remains the last American to win the premier class of motorcycle road racing.

At the time, BBC commentator Steve Parrish described the season as "the most entertaining I have ever seen".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/39972058

Awful news. :(

R.I.P Nicky.

Devastated to hear the news that he has passed away,i knew he was in a serious condition but it is still a shock.He was a great champion and will be forever remembered as so.RIP Nicky 69.

Edited by area 51

R.I.P Nicky.Very sad news. Great guy and sportsman.

From the statements released by the hospital they did seem to be using the language that they use to imply that the patient is not out of the woods, so this wasn't a huge surprise, but it's so sad.

Poor Nicky. One of the most popular guys in the paddock, a genuinely nice guy. RIP.