Park Patrols on Motorcycles

Can anyone remember the mobile "Parky's" from the mid seventies ? They rode around on Triumph motorbikes. As kids we would try to sneak into the parks (Crookes Valley & Western Park) after closing time and were frequently chased by the patrollers.

The parks are all left open these days and its a very rare sight if you can spot a park keeper.

Yes I remember them, they were still around in the 1980's. They used to get called in if there was trouble in a park but also used to do ticket inspections for tennis courts, etc. They were called "Park Patrol".

Their bikes were changed to a more trial type towards the end so they could chase other bikes.

Read something recently that said one of the London boroughs was bringing in a similar scheme again.

We used to get cought all the time on Wincobank Hill in the 80's on our motorbikes. They didn't really do much when they cought you, just asked your name and address and then told you to go home. All good fun:)

We used to watch them try and catch the kids on Trial bikes on the Manor Fields when we were young.

They never had a chance! Once there were 4 parkies and 3 police bikes after 3 kids on trail bikes. After the kids had run them a merry dance for about an hour they just rode away :hihi:

I remember them in Hillsborough Park when I were a young 'un! Those were the days when the park was locked at night and the 'parkys' went round on their motorbikes kicking everyone out!!

We got on ok with them and it was kind of reassuring to see them. Made you feel safe.

One of them lived near my mums house on the cross, we had bikes from about 6 yrs old and would laugh at him when he could'nt follow us, only problem was he'd be at our house when we got home!

Good laugh though, ended up teaching him how to "ride like we did" in the end

Used to see them in the early 80's patroling Handsworth Rec around 8pm onwards, used to be a trials type bike with white carriers fitted on the side with "Park Patrol" in black text.

I remember a bunch of us strolling through Meersbrook park and the Yellow and Black Park patrol guy rode past, so we decided to run for the hell of it...

sure enough, he gave chase and we went through the ravine, up and down the tree lined bits and then finally accross the big grassy hill where the poor man finally cut us off.

"Why are running, lads?"

"to see if you'd chase us!"

it was funny at the time

Originally posted by freedomchap

I remember a bunch of us strolling through Meersbrook park and the Yellow and Black Park patrol guy rode past, so we decided to run for the hell of it...

sure enough, he gave chase and we went through the ravine, up and down the tree lined bits and then finally accross the big grassy hill where the poor man finally cut us off.

"Why are running, lads?"

"to see if you'd chase us!"

it was funny at the time

i remember going maggot drowning in graves park after school,you wernt allowed to fish the boating lake but it was the only place that had any fish in it........when we'd hear the parkies bike comming we'd hide in the bushes till he'd gone,one night i got talking to this kid....i says to him we'll have to get out of the way in a bit the big fat parkie will be here,i know he says,i goes......can't stand the big fat big headed get......the lad says ..he's my dad..ooops:blush: :blush: :blush:

Originally posted by kirky

i remember going maggot drowning in graves park after school,you wernt allowed to fish the boating lake but it was the only place that had any fish in it........when we'd hear the parkies bike comming we'd hide in the bushes till he'd gone,one night i got talking to this kid....i says to him we'll have to get out of the way in a bit the big fat parkie will be here,i know he says,i goes......can't stand the big fat big headed get......the lad says ..he's my dad..ooops:blush: :blush: :blush:

So tha wor an obnoxious get as a kid then :confused: some things never change :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Re: Park Patrol

Oh yes I remember the lot of them. Used to live across from their workshops at Crookes. All those beautiful Triumph Bonnevilles/Tigers growling away. MMMM NICE!!:P

Caz

I remember them well in Hollinsend park,as Gleadless infants school had two prefab class rooms in the parkwe got to know them and the park keeper well. I lived just up the road from the park on Ridgeway road and the park keepers house was just a few doors from ours plus my dad played bowls in the park so if i got up to anything my parents knew about it before i got home.

yes we did get up to mischive but nothing like the kids get up to today,getting shouted at by the parky put the fear of God up us and we were off,we sort of gave him and other people respect. if we were in the park just before dusk the wardens would come round on their bikes and we would run and hide but they always managed to find us,then we would run off before we would get locked in. Its heard to believe that kids at infant school would be aloud to be in the park till dusk.