Transport Companies Sheffield

does anyone remember old transport companies around sheffield?.i first worked for rileys at birley vale 1964 diong local work.then on to long distance multi drops south coast,also delivering steel up to scotland bringing scrap back to roe brothers at wincobank.in 1969 worked for ross garages at tyler st.drivin old atkinsons up and down to south wales my first truck was reg no

DBO380.ross sold out to humber warehousing in grimsby and later became humber mc.vee.i mooved to felixstowe in 1975 worked for p&o roadways untill i left and worked for james martin transport doing runs to iran jorden turkey greece and suadi arabia.travaling through belguim.germany.austria.cross yugoslavia bulgaria down through tukey into iran.great days.any one rembers me love to hear from you

bryan

hi Bryan, I too worked for Ross, just before they was tacken over by Humber Warhousing and then got laid off, and humber started a new depot at Frckley nr Doncaster,the depot if you can call it that was on a farm,they grew potatoes and made frensh frise (chips) that we deliverd,i worked there untill i got sacked because i was emigrateing to Canada,we left Heathrow December 28 1974 and have never been back but my wife and i are finaly coming for a holliday this week we will be in Sheffield May 26 until june 18.

Graham

hi Bryan, I too worked for Ross, just before they was tacken over by Humber Warhousing and then got laid off, and humber started a new depot at Frckley nr Doncaster,the depot if you can call it that was on a farm,they grew potatoes and made frensh frise (chips) that we deliverd,i worked there untill i got sacked because i was emigrateing to Canada,we left Heathrow December 28 1974 and have never been back but my wife and i are finaly coming for a holliday this week we will be in Sheffield May 26 until june 18.

Graham

HI GRAHAM.

good to here from you i can remember bill garrer scotch man.also kenny cant john williams roy organ manager collinn fleming and many others good old days.

I think i remember them,some of the names seem familier,i do remember the manager was a Welshman not sure of his name but the yard forman we always called him sn*ts because that is what he was always doing,the manager would have him get him a pot of tea and he always did it in his cup,i don't think he ever new what he was drinking, well i wont be on the computer untill the end of June when we get back from Sheffield talk to you then.

Graham

Hi Bryan,just found this thread.I remember Ross Garages,their main depot was in Cardiff and I recall them using Atkis,AEC MK5s and - I think - Scania 110s or 111s.When I worked for A E Evans tankers I picked one of their night trunk drivers up early one morning,somewhere between Ross and Monmouth.He'd run out of time and dumped his artic (I'm sure it was a Scania) in a lay-by.I didn't realise Humber McVeigh bought them out.

This picture of a Ross AEC MK5 Mandator DKG 483C,might bring some memories back.....

DKG483CMANDATOR.jpg

Chris.

PS I always thought they were on Barrow Road.

I remember a lot of old Sheffield hauliers,I worked for C H Preston,Naylor and Wagstaffe,A.E.Evans and then 27 years for GGD/Wincanton at Maltby.

Edited by Manxdeedah

I worked at Pickfords Heavy Haulage

Richmond Road Garages (not long)

Sykes Bulk Liquids ( Sheaf Petroleum )

Magnet Southern Rotherham

Applied Distribution Chapeltown

Dodds Transport Swallownest

Syd Woods Rotherham

Exel Logistics Brinsworth

The Old Sheffield firms I can recall are

H.Atkinson

R.Earls

T.Simmonite

Kitchens

Wilf Baxter

Parkers

Warringtons

Falkland Road

Wheeler Road

Trowbridge

Bonsalls

Smiths Denby Street

Caudles

Rivelin Valley

Shepherds ( Greenhill)

Jack Shepherds

Barber Road

Revill Sons & Broadbent

Ernest Thorpes

Truswells

Gloystarne

Hadfields

BRS

Gillots

Procters

Chamber & Illingworth

Sid Harrison

Willie Harrison

Jacksons

T.Blacks

Singletons

Furness High Green

and one or two I can't remember at the moment

:hihi:

Hmmmmmmmm,we know each other then.:D

A few more....

Wm Bradley,Surbiton Street

Cooper and Hart

Bradley that did Batchelors work

L H Mills - Maltese Tony's company:D

Henry Matthews

Frank Philips

H Askey

Wm Marsden,Malin Bridge

Wilsons - did TWIL

H Cawthorne

Flemings

George Cowan

Ibbotsons (Carbrook Transport)

A.E.Evans Regent Transport

Blagdens

One at Wadsley Bridge that did Whitbreads work amongst others.:help: - Wesley Nichols?

Talbot Transport

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Chris

Edited by Manxdeedah

no one mentioned H.J.TUFFNELLS understand started with horse and cart developed in to lorrys depot in mary st moved to woodbourne road then to shepcote lane to present but now a International firm any one from 52 to 64 around

Pat O'Brian

Lol Wilson did you mean manx I think we might know each other

Pat O'Brian

Lol Wilson did you mean manx I think we might know each other

Aye,L Wilson,green motors,they had some Mastiffs IIRC.

See yer in t'Red Lion when I come over.:hihi:

deepcar transport

a&e

gregorys(ecclesfield)

po middleton

bw.dimmock

housleys(tippers)

bradburys(ecclesfield)

geoff hardisty

hughes haulage

george lymer

burgins

cardiff transport

h waters

r cox

rdb freight lines

handsworth transport

hornsby (brinsworth)

stuart keen

? fox (cant remember his 1st name)george?

r&j transport

g fisher (tippers)

john dee

gosneys

gw grice

s&h motors

ford&perry

burgess haulage

intake transport

j cooper (tippers)

newell & wright

stardes

rw simpson

hartley haulage

t roberts

a e obrien

greg saynor

price express

buckleys (eckington)

c&d express (now owned by a&e)

hastings freight

arnold pell (bought out by ernie thorpe)

gd wragg (tippers)

mappins (chapeltown) (tippers)

marriots

Edited by mh01

:D

The list is endless. I forgot all about P O Middleton and Harry Waters.Geoff Hardisty was known as Wharncliffe Transport,he subbed for Wincanton at Maltby.

Hallam Freight was another,off Handsworth Road.

Chris