<<Completely disagree with that statement.>> That's up to you, but I have been running a very successful printing business since 1983, so perhaps I do know a bit.

we all have our own views - mine is from an impartial point of view so it's bound to be different. And what you say is never ever relayed in any marketing course, material, qualification, etc etc.

The medium needs to be appropriate for the product, so what might work for one, eg the drive being tarmacced on the fly with a mobile number for £99 will look very different to the high quality hardwood mahogany conservatories from a 30yr established supplier.

No one size ever did fit all thus my disagreement with your sweeping statement.

Me too, that is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard! If i needed a plumber, and a leaflet came through with a childs drawing of a plumer, crayon writing about what he does and which number to ring, do you think id call him or find someone else?

Indizine- yes i went, it was very interesting and i learnt plenty, the focus was more on how google can increase your sales as a business which wasnt that relevant to me. However i managed to grab 10 minutes with one of the google people afterwards and she gave me some advice on how adwords can be used to attract members.

For free it has to be said it was excellent, 5 speakers, including the council leader and the founder of more computers (winner of website of the year). So high quality speakers and a great venue in the electric works. They also put on a buffet which was a nice touch!

So more focussed towards adwords then I guess. Onbviously the more you spend the more they win, but they win whether you win or lose, but of course they do better the more you sell because you realise it works (for you) and thus want to spend more.

If £100 adwords brings in £200 of profit then one could assume that £200 will bring you £400 profit (just examples).

Remember, you need to do more than break even, you need to make a profit after the adwords cost has been deducted along with all your other costs of course.

People think that because they have made sales, adwords works. It's not quite that simple - you need to make sure adwords is profitable just like any other advertising medium you use. Breaking even is OK whilst your learning and getting it right in the early days, say the first month or two, but by month 3 your campaign should be working well for you.

Edited by indizine

Yeah I guess by them putting this on "free" people will go and try out adwords, thus spending money with google and eventully spending an awful lot over the years on their adwords account. It was funny at one point the google man asked "who uses adwords?", 10 people put their hands up, "who is happy with the returns?" one person put their hand up!

Yeah, they make millions from people dabbling, clueless, still not getting it but keep trying it, types. Shame really. I know a guy who was spending £7k a month and it was really badly set up despite him having his own Googl account manager - he spent many thousands and even then they didn't really sort out his account. I have the proof as I saw their before and after spreadsheet.

7k per month!? Wow, thats a crazy amount. I did wonder last night what the big companies spend on adwords, judging by that maybe its onto the millions for some of the biggest? The woman said to me have a go at putting a £5 budget on and seeing what happends, imagine how many people like me do that and yeah, they must make millions from the odd dabble.

Ok, how's this then: KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid.

You DON'T need glossy, you DON'T need pictures, you DON'T need colour, you don't necessarity need to go overboard on design. As long as the person who gets the leaflet/flier/brochure needs the service you are offering, it will work. You need the leaflet to get the person to call you, then you need to sell yourself.

lol, ok then, you send me a flyer with your crappy design on for your printing company and ill be sure to use you for your services next time im doing a design job :loopy:

if i get 5 leaflets offering the same service im most likely choosing the one that presents there brand/company in the best or most professional way. even if i dont need their service right now and its good design ill keep it, i may never use their service but ill keep it as a piece of good design.

i cant believe you would even dare say it about a brochure, a brochure with no colour/pictures/design, good luck :hihi:

lol, ok then, you send me a flyer with your crappy design on for your printing company and ill be sure to use you for your services next time im doing a design job :loopy:

i cant believe you would even dare say it about a brochure, a brochure with no colour/pictures/design, good luck :hihi:

good luck indeed!