What would happen if no one voted in a general election?

Collaboration did not have positive consequences in wartime France...

Not so much collaboration as capitulation in that case (see Jeremy Corbyn on agreeing to Theresa May's Brexit).

I'm personally getting pretty fed up of the continual left right idealistic fight. There doesn't seem to be anything in the labour or tory manifestos that are evidence driven. They're just playing to the gallery. It's like no one is even looking at the real problems and how they are actually solved. Some collaborative effort by politicians would lead to more sustainable policy and stable direction.

Not so much collaboration as capitulation in that case (see Jeremy Corbyn on agreeing to Theresa May's Brexit).

I'm personally getting pretty fed up of the continual left right idealistic fight. There doesn't seem to be anything in the labour or tory manifestos that are evidence driven. They're just playing to the gallery. It's like no one is even looking at the real problems and how they are actually solved. Some collaborative effort by politicians would lead to more sustainable policy and stable direction.

That's far too sensible!

Collaboration did not have positive consequences in wartime France...

It did for the collaborators and the collaboratees.

Did your attempt to make a point have any relevance to the discussion on the table, or did you just want to get Godwin out of the way?

To stand as a candidate you need ten people from the constituency to sign your application and endorse you as a candidate, so they would presumably vote for you.

However the rules state that the seat is vacated when the writs are issued. So someone must be elected. If there is a tie (fairly common in council elections - never happened in general elections yet but has been very close on occasions) then the Returning Officer has to make an unbiased choice on chance. Typically they will toss a coin, or draw lots, or even split a deck of cards - anything that can give a 50:50 outcome is valid.

If no-one voted at all, then it would be a tie on no votes and I presume that they would toss a coin etc. but we've never come close to that of course.

Equality of votes

49Where, after the counting of the votes (including any recount) is completed, an equality of votes is found to exist between any candidates and the addition of a vote would entitle any of those candidates to be declared elected, the returning officer shall forthwith decide between those candidates by lot, and proceed as if the candidate on whom the lot falls had received an additional vote.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2/schedule/1

Did your attempt to make a point have any relevance to the discussion on the table, or did you just want to get Godwin out of the way?

Er, who's that?

Er, who's that?

How did you get to become a moderator without knowing the basic laws of internet discussion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

I wont be voting again so i am making a start,spread the word lets get everybody to not vote.All the mp's would get one vote has they would all vote for themselves.

I wont be voting again so i am making a start,spread the word lets get everybody to not vote.All the mp's would get one vote has they would all vote for themselves.

Or you could vote for the one and only Crookedspire god help you!:help::o

Better to make a point of not voting than to simply not vote: spoil your ballot paper.

Better to make a point of not voting than to simply not vote: spoil your ballot paper.

Its spoilt already,it has politicians names on it.:hihi: