Scissor and knife trade.

Did anyone who writes in this forum know my Dad. Joseph Thompson. Work for Champions after the war and then with George Darwin, and a few others whose names I can't remember.

Homeric was on chambers lane can remember the scissors all dumped at back of bowling green pub:hihi:

The owner of Homeric was my grandfather Wilhelm Morsbach. He had been in the trade in Germany and between wars set up in England because he liked the English and didn't like what was happening in Germany. He was interned for the duration of the Second World War and always spoke highly of the workers who kept the factory going during his absence. I was born and raised in Devon but as a child was taken to stay with my grandparents in Sheffield. The highlight of my stay was a visit to the factory in Chambers Lane. My grandfather had the key to the bubble gum machine and he would open it for me! I still use the manicure set I was given. Can I remember a slag heap and a milk factory behind Homeric or is my memory failing me. I remember everyone I met there being kind to me.

I'm 69 now so all those workers will be long gone.

I ahve a full canteen of Georer Butler cutlery. It is beutiful. Knives and forks (particularly) are so well 'balanced'. I use them on special occasions, I make sure I wash and dry them and count them all as I put them away!!!

I ahve a full canteen of Georer Butler cutlery. It is beutiful. Knives and forks (particularly) are so well 'balanced'. I use them on special occasions, I make sure I wash and dry them and count them all as I put them away!!!

I probably made the knives in your Canteen.

The owner of Homeric was my grandfather Wilhelm Morsbach. He had been in the trade in Germany and between wars set up in England because he liked the English and didn't like what was happening in Germany. He was interned for the duration of the Second World War and always spoke highly of the workers who kept the factory going during his absence. I was born and raised in Devon but as a child was taken to stay with my grandparents in Sheffield. The highlight of my stay was a visit to the factory in Chambers Lane. My grandfather had the key to the bubble gum machine and he would open it for me! I still use the manicure set I was given. Can I remember a slag heap and a milk factory behind Homeric or is my memory failing me. I remember everyone I met there being kind to me.

I'm 69 now so all those workers will be long gone.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6112388027387824097

Hiya JFrost, This should bring back memories of Homeric firm in

Upwell St, i worked there about 1957/8.

I Started upstairs in the tool shop and couldn't get into it, gaffer give me

a job stamping out blank nail files that machine was near the doorway

as you got upstairs. Then when i wasn't on there he took me downstairs

bottom floor backroom Gold platting scissors, that wasn't a bad job but

i moved into Firth Browns. Hope you like the pic. :hihi::hihi:

Hi Dana.

Im Sharon Heald. My great Grandfather had the Charles Heald & Son cutlery firm. Im looking into my dads side of the family. I was wondering if you found out any other information about it. Id love to know why it closed and who worked there alongside my great granddad and his son.

Thanks

Sharon

My grandad was a little mester who made scissors I remember my mum taking me to his workshop just off Glossop Rd in the early 60s.

hi i worked there think i was about 17 im well ive retired now if i remember right it was german company i remember my gran was not happy about me being there don t think i stayed very long but i seem to remember going to pub at dinner times

Yes use to frequent the Bowling Green Pub when I worked there.

I worked at Cowlishaws on Hill Street. That was like a little mesters shop. I linished pen and pocket knife blades

I probably packed those I worked at a little Fancy Goods Warehouse we handled those little pearl knives etc. The place was called Ashburys. It was at the top of one of those steep roads near to Footprint Tools. It was my first job and for a whole £5.00 per week I had to Take heavy Parcels up and down the steep lane to the PO then come back and go on a Hafting Machine then do everyone's teas and coffees then Packing then Teas again etc.

Does anyone remember this little Firm I cant find it on Google, not even from the past stuff.

On 08/09/2008 at 14:40, Bellstar said:

My hubby Frank Turton (Family name Toni)comes from generations of grinders, his dad frank (Jack) Turton, taught him all he knows. Frank has been in the trade from the age of 15 he is now 61. Im sure he would love to hear from anyone who knows him or knew his dad.

Hi I worked with Frank , true gentleman