The Oscars - aren't ya sick of them?

I've just been looking through the past oscar winners and a fair chunk of films I can't remember and some of the winners are as mystifying now as the probably were then. Some have stood the test of time, not all though.

Exactly as the choices are agenda driven rather than being the actual best films of the time.

Exactly as the choices are agenda driven rather than being the actual best films of the time.

Im not sure agenda is the right word - but you get some odd choices. What agenda was running when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan in 99 (?) I do not know. Maybe theyre reflecting trends more?

Im not sure agenda is the right word - but you get some odd choices. What agenda was running when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan in 99 (?) I do not know. Maybe theyre reflecting trends more?

It's the buddy system e.g. How come Meryl Streep is up for an Oscar every damn year(seems that way). She's good, but not that good. The grammys are evenworse lol. There is a rapper who just got his 21st, yet Elvis Presley got one for a gospel album...go figure.:confused: And that is just one example, check out all the music icons who have never won one.

I didn't know that! I mean Shakespeare in Love is fine for what it is, but Saving Private Ryan at the time was groundbreaking...

I don't think there is an agenda with the Oscars, just a load of out of touch judges voting within their own tiny sphere of reference of what a good film is. I don't think Moonlight won because the cast was black, it won because it was a film that dealt with complex issues in a way that appealed to the judges and just happened to have a black cast. Moonlight appears to have been almost universally acclaimed unlike La La Land which got great critics reviews and then a panning from the public.