How would you attract female members to a club?

I run a successful sports club. It was resurrected from a failing club of 8 members to one now with 30+ members.

Historically the club was mixed sex but over the years female participation has dropped off and we are now almost(not quite) exclusively male.

In the past we have tried Open Days to the general populace which has been almost 99% failure.

I/We are looking at proactive promotion/publicity to attract lady members - this would allow us to grow the club and diversify the league/team participation.

Anyhow does any one have any ideas where to promote such a thing?

Obviously we'll poster the post office and local supermarket notice boards.

Why?

Your 'club' has evolved to fit its members.

Don't insult females when they have obviously used their heads and voted with their feet.

Why?

Your 'club' has evolved to fit its members.

Don't insult females when they have obviously used their heads and voted with their feet.

Simple really the club isn't now what it was.

Under the old guise, marital issues and a lack of competitive/supportive male players for mixed games weren't there.

None of the old team are there and 90% of the current players would relish the challenge of playing in mixed teams.

(we do have lady members by the way who have joined over the past 24 months,just not enough of them)

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:49 ----------

What sport?

Badminton - the female interest in it is reducing drastically by all accounts.

Some leagues even allow teams of 4 instead of 6 as the numbers in the clubs are so poor.

Edited by willman

Do none of the male members have female SO's? Do the female members not have any fe3male friends?

A basketball session I used to attend before knackering my knees had a similar problem. The key problem there is the physical aspect of the sport, can't really see that being an issue with badminton though? Have you tried an 'open session' for women to try the sport? Might be worth talking to them (if they come) to find out what might stop them from coming?

Also consider advertising at local secondary schools - most female sports participation drops off after school - not progressing into local organised sport as far as I know.

Are you associated with any governing bodies like Badminton England?

Do you have policies or code of conduct for players?

Is the price right?

Under the old guise, marital issues and a lack of competitive/supportive male players for mixed games weren't there.

None of the old team are there and 90% of the current players would relish the challenge of playing in mixed teams.

(we do have lady members by the way who have joined over the past 24 months,just not enough of them)

Some leagues even allow teams of 4 instead of 6 as the numbers in the clubs are so poor.

Maybe its not as popular now. Women seem like their more into football, rugby etc.

Show them your shuttlecocks, that'll attract the ladies :hihi:

Perhaps on a more serious note has the OP tried advertising at the local sports centre - those who go there will probably be sporty, and may be looking for extra activities.

Edited by Mister M

I run a successful sports club. It was resurrected from a failing club of 8 members to one now with 30+ members.

Historically the club was mixed sex but over the years female participation has dropped off and we are now almost(not quite) exclusively male.

In the past we have tried Open Days to the general populace which has been almost 99% failure.

I/We are looking at proactive promotion/publicity to attract lady members - this would allow us to grow the club and diversify the league/team participation.

Anyhow does any one have any ideas where to promote such a thing?

Obviously we'll poster the post office and local supermarket notice boards.

Whatever the opposite to a milkshake is I suspect.

Are you associated with any governing bodies like Badminton England?

Do you have policies or code of conduct for players?

Is the price right?

Yes to everything.

We are associated with BE - its get us free insurance:D

We(well I) am just in the process of working with BE to become a Premier status club - but to be honest i don't see it as a benefit in this situation.

We have a club mandate and the relevant official procedures in place as such.

We don't have any child procedures in place - so we have no intentions of promoting it to under 16+ anyway.

If someone wants it for free then no the price isn't right, but the monthly membership works out at about £1.50 per hour.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 14:56 ----------

Do none of the male members have female SO's? Do the female members not have any fe3male friends?

We've discussed these issues many times, and most male players including myself don't have partners that can play (at all).

The female members don't actually see it as a concern not having more ladies present, many of them joined us exactly for the reason that none of their female friends played badminton.