Credit/debit card fraud.

Early December I noticed fraud on my credit card so the Bank's fraud squad took over and cancelled my card. A month later another fraudulent entry using my new card. Yesterday the Bank rang me to ask if it was ok to transfer £5000 to someone I've never heard of. So, at the mo I have neither debit card nor credit card. The Bank will no doubt restore my accounts ok but they will not tell me how someone using a mobile app attempted to rob me using my card details. How did they come by them. I use them carefully at garages and supermarkets and ATMs. I've been to a police station and bought metal foil type envelopes to keep cards in to prevent cards in a wallet being read by someone brushing against you or in a crowd. Anyone else had this or is it just me?

you have to be careful with atm's and give them a good look over to check no card skimming hardware is installed.

I rarely use ATMs unless they are actually inside the bank, I use the post office to withdraw money.

It has crossed my mind to change my facebook name to a fake one, so many ways that they can get info about you these days.

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 17:00 ----------

MikeG, that is giving info away too ;)

Early December I noticed fraud on my credit card so the Bank's fraud squad took over and cancelled my card. A month later another fraudulent entry using my new card. Yesterday the Bank rang me to ask if it was ok to transfer £5000 to someone I've never heard of. So, at the mo I have neither debit card nor credit card. The Bank will no doubt restore my accounts ok but they will not tell me how someone using a mobile app attempted to rob me using my card details. How did they come by them. I use them carefully at garages and supermarkets and ATMs. I've been to a police station and bought metal foil type envelopes to keep cards in to prevent cards in a wallet being read by someone brushing against you or in a crowd. Anyone else had this or is it just me?

Card-skimming is known to occur at certain petrol stations.

I know this to be true as I've been done-over twice in the last few years.