Girl walking in middle of Barnsley Road

Driving down Barnsley Road today about 11.40 ish , down towards NGH from town, cars were stopping because this poor girl was walking all over the road stopping traffic, don't know if she was stoned, had a mental illness or what but she was walking in front of cars, she came right past my window and was white as a sheet and just staring. Hope she got the help she needed, it was distressing to see. Did anyone see her?

Did you do anything? Stop, ask her if she needed help, call the cops?

Or just being nosy now you're safe home and nowt on telly?

I can't believe that someone would pass a person in that sort of condition and not stop to offer help, or contact the police so that they could help.

You are making a big assumption if you were thinking she was stoned she could have been bleeding to death internally, from a hit and run for instance.

No Natjack I wasn't being nosey, you couldn't miss her cos all traffic had stopped both sides, she walked straight past, had I been driving alone I might have stopped to help her. I was with my husband and had dog in back of car. I was hoping someone else might have stopped but I think people were just shocked. She was just staring vacantly, I wasn't making assumptions just stating it could have been a possibility. Why are people so horrible on here!

No Natjack I wasn't being nosey, you couldn't miss her cos all traffic had stopped both sides, she walked straight past, had I been driving alone I might have stopped to help her. I was with my husband and had dog in back of car. I was hoping someone else might have stopped but I think people were just shocked. She was just staring vacantly, I wasn't making assumptions just stating it could have been a possibility. Why are people so horrible on here!

I definitely would not have stopped if I was on my own and I am not sure I would have done anything different to you if I had family or friends in my car. If I was you I would try to forget about it, you have done nothing to reaproach yourself for. There was other cars who also did not stop.

Without wishing to personalise it, hoping that someone else would have stopped/done something is where we are going wrong as a society isn't it? You may have had genuine reasons for not stopping but I bet everyone else was also hoping someone else would stop. But when people seemingly can't cope when a chugger asks them for money on Fargate or someone on a protest offers them a leaflet, what chance have we got of them involving themselves in someone else's distress?

I think I might have seen the young lady in question at the bus stop near the junction of Barnsley Road and Earl Marshal Road at around 8am this morning.

A young lady in a black coat and red trousers was sat on the kerb at the bus stop.

Then all of a sudden she walked away from the bus stop, then sat down in the middle of the junction with cars driving past just inches away.

She was clearly distressed about something, shouting and throwing her bag around.

A passer by came to her assistance and took her to the pavement.

There is a Mental Health Unit at the Northern General. I really do think that anyone found in that state anywhere should get urgent help so 999 is appropriate.