Can I drive a motorbike on my license?

So I've never done a motorbike test or a CBT or anything but this is a picture of my license http://imgur.com/xJWbOAu and the A category is filled in, so what's going in with that, what does that mean?

Cheers.

Mopeds

Category AM

You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

##unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)

##maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

---------- Post added 21-02-2016 at 17:03 ----------

Category A

You can drive:

##motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg

##motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

Yeah but why is it showing category A, aren't you supposed to take a motorbike test to be allowed to drive that?

Yeah but why is it showing category A, aren't you supposed to take a motorbike test to be allowed to drive that?

You would have to ride the motorbike or moped with 'L' plates displayed until you pass a motorbike / moped test .

If you have a full car licence I don't think you need to do a CBT for a moped,but you would for anything else.

So I've never done a motorbike test or a CBT or anything but this is a picture of my license http://imgur.com/xJWbOAu and the A category is filled in, so what's going in with that, what does that mean?

Cheers.

I'd call in at a bike training place and check with them ,they should know what you need to do if anything

If you have a full car licence I don't think you need to do a CBT for a moped,but you would for anything else.

Not straight away, I think you have 2 years.

Look at far right window next to both categories.

I think you get licence for motorcycle based trikes only + provisional for bikes.

Means up to 125cc with CBT or tricycles without - might be with some limits on trikes as well.

Look at far right window next to both categories.

I think you get licence for motorcycle based trikes only + provisional for bikes.

Means up to 125cc with CBT or tricycles without - might be with some limits on trikes as well.

I asked the DVLA about this in 2010. I still have their reply :hihi:

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 17/6/10. Your email reference number is 388570.

I hope the following will clarify your enquiry.

Provisional drivers of three wheeled vehicles used on the road must have the appropriate entitlement. Generally the driver should hold either category B or B1.

Category B covers motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg.

When driving a three wheeled vehicle provisionally the driver will be subject to the provisional licence conditions which are shown on the back of the driving licence, ie must display 'L' plates (which are clearly visible from the front and back of the vehicle), be supervised by a qualified driver and must not tow a trailer.

However, there is one exemption from the need for learner drivers of certain three or four wheeled vehicles to be supervised by a qualified driver when driving a vehicle in category B/B1 constructed to carry only one person and not adapted to carry more than one person.

Do not reply to this email.

I think you still have to do a CBT to ride a 125. My licence looks the same (full licence since 2008). I changed my address last year, and I've just done my CBT a few weeks ago, but as far as I know I don't have to change my licence. The piece of paper (DL196) I got validates my provisional motorbike entitlement.

I also have the code 79(3) in the '12' column, I googled it and it is to do with tricycles.

I have 122 in the "12. codes" box along side my cat P entitlement which means I need a CBT even for 50 cc mopeds. I guess if you don't you don't need a CBT.