People in cars should wear crash helmets

Wearing crash helmets would slash head injuries in car accidents. It's the logical next step after compulsory seat belts for us all to wear a crash helmet in the car.

....and reduce their ability to see other road users further?

I'd rather they not.

....and reduce their ability to see other road users further?

I'd rather they not.

There's not bad visibility in some of the helmets that aren't full face. But a silly idea nevertheless.

There would also be the problem of the police being hampered in their identification of drivers. So all in all, NO the face should NOT be covered whilst driving a car at all.

There's not bad visibility in some of the helmets that aren't full face. But a silly idea nevertheless.

There would also be the problem of the police being hampered in their identification of drivers. So all in all, NO the face should NOT be covered whilst driving a car at all.

While I think it's a silly idea, I don't see where the OP said "full face" helmet...

The driver can wear a hi viz numbered tabard as well as a helmet. Problem solved.

Nobody can deny that it wouldn't save lives if motorist were forced to wear crash helmets.

Nobody can deny that it wouldn't save lives if motorist were forced to wear crash helmets.

Yes they can. A head in a crash helmet weighs far more than a head without, so you are far more likely to break your neck. On the other hand a crash helmet only protects the head from direct impact.

Yes they can. A head in a crash helmet weighs far more than a head without, so you are far more likely to break your neck. On the other hand a crash helmet only protects the head from direct impact.

So you're suggesting a really lightweight helmet, good idea! It would also protect you from flying debris from any impact.

We need some statistics on that. :| I agree that a lightweight helmet would be an excellent safety improvement.

Responsible drivers should carry spare helmets for passengers.

Maybe it could be law that you have to carry the same number of helmets in your car as you have seats, with maybe one extra for emergencies?

Responsible drivers should carry spare helmets for passengers.

*Spare lightweight helmets