Buying a used Diesel - advice needed

I am planning to buy a used Diesel car, and was looking for advice on things to keep in mind while buying one, like:

1. What is the maximum mileage to look for?

2. Any particular thing to avoid?

3. Any particular brand/model/range to avoid?

I have come across something called DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which have made cars cleaner and reduced road tax, but are quite expensive to repair. Any "words from the wise" on this subject would also be appreciated :)

I will be using it primarily for commuting to work using the motorway and not for short trips.

I am planning to buy a used Diesel car, and was looking for advice on things to keep in mind while buying one, like:

I have come across something called DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which have made cars cleaner and reduced road tax, but are quite expensive to repair. Any "words from the wise" on this subject would also be appreciated :)

I will be using it primarily for commuting to work using the motorway and not for short trips.

The dpf,s are expensive to replace but sometimes all they need is what's called a regeneration but also the fluid they use is very expensive esp if it's a Citroen/ Peugeot which takes Elyos .most dpf,s get clogged up due to short runs ,stop start journeys etc .milage wise is not too big a concern I have a c5 which has done 140000 and still pulls mega strong and I've serviced diesel cars with a lot more than that and they still going strong.

Avoid any 1.6 hdi,s or 1.6 tdc,s the engines in those are well known for their unreliability

Edited by rudds1

The dpf,s are expensive to replace but sometimes all they need is what's called a regeneration but also the fluid they use is very expensive esp if it's a Citroen/ Peugeot which takes Elyos .most dpf,s get clogged up due to short runs ,stop start journeys etc .milage wise is not too big a concern I have a c5 which has done 140000 and still pulls mega strong and I've serviced diesel cars with a lot more than that and they still going strong.

Avoid any 1.6 hdi,s or 1.6 tdc,s the engines in those are well known for their unreliability

I have had a string of diesels from Ford, Alfa and Fiat. The latter two caused me DPF issues. More recently I moved into Citroen and now a Pug which uses the AdBlue system to avoid this. So far so good. Tho the French cars are noticeably more tinny and rattly, despite mine being top of the range and looking the part externally.

In terms of mileage - a 2 litre 165bhp turbo diesel used to return me around 45 mpg whilst giving boy racers a run for their money. My Pug is a smaller 1.6 stop-start at 130BHP and is no slouch, and gets me around 55PMG. And I don't drive carefully.

The dpf,s are expensive to replace but sometimes all they need is what's called a regeneration but also the fluid they use is very expensive esp if it's a Citroen/ Peugeot which takes Elyos .most dpf,s get clogged up due to short runs ,stop start journeys etc

I drive a company diesel, so I am surprised you are saying the fluid is expensive, I havnt a clue.

With the typical company car undergoing perhaps three services during its fleet life that could amount to, at a conservative estimate, £60 per vehicle having to be added to a fleet SMR’s budget.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/1/4/warning-over-hidden-diesel-running-costs/45836/

I drive a company diesel, so I am surprised you are saying the fluid is expensive, I havnt a clue.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/1/4/warning-over-hidden-diesel-running-costs/45836/

I once went to the dealers for some eylos and was told it was around£45a litre and my car would need around 3litres once it went empty but this as for a 2002 c5 back some time ago .i believe now newer cars can/do take ad blue which is much cheaper

I once went to the dealers for some eylos and was told it was around £45a litre and my car would need around 3 litres once it went empty but this as for a 2002 c5 back some time ago. i believe now newer cars can/do take ad blue which is much cheaper

£20 for 4 litres at Halfords.

Not all DPFs use fluid, Vauxhalls don't for example. They incinerate the particles periodically instead of using the liquid to clean the filter.

Mileage is no indicator of potential failure or work required.Only looking at,and driving will tell you how good a car is.

one with 120,000 miles maybe less problematic than one with 50,000,its no guarantee.

DPf's rarely fail but often misdiagnosed. with regular motorway runs makes it even more unlikey.

Dpf's are not expensive either,only if you run to dealers for repairs.

The main thing is to make sure you buy the right car,no matter what brand it is.If you dont know what you are doing,get someone who does.

£20 for 4 litres at Halfords.

Not for Eolys fluid it isn't, Adblue is around that price as it's much much cheaper.

Eoyls fluid is around 30 quid a litre :o

Adblue is used to reduced the NOx emissions, not burn off particulates.

How much do you want to spend? Cash or credit? Will you buy private or only from a dealer...

I've bought a very high millage Saab 95 2.2diesel because it was cheap and never had any problems. Previously I owned a 2.2diesel Honda Civic which was much newer and excellent.

Need more info really, new diesels are even better on economy, the new Volvo engines are brilliant.

Starting point is knowing your budget.

I would also say check out the service history. Not just the book, if in any doubt give the dealers a call. I inquired about various cars when I bought my current one, I called a few dealers to check they had a record of the services listed in the book.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

Why just buy a diesel,the're okay when they are okay,but when they give problems they are usually big ones.Don't forget the government are going to make things hard for diesel owners because of the emissions.However they are talking about a scrapping plan to help owners to buy a new friendly car.Buy a petrol they are much better.

How much do you want to spend? Cash or credit? Will you buy private or only from a dealer...

Starting point is knowing your budget.

I would also say check out the service history. Not just the book, if in any doubt give the dealers a call. I inquired about various cars when I bought my current one, I called a few dealers to check they had a record of the services listed in the book.

I could go as high as 7K, maybe a few hundred quid more if it was a really good car.

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 13:02 ----------

Which range of cars are these, please :confused: