When would the Mottram Bypass be done?

I heard the news that a bypass in Mottram-in-Longdendale was approved by the Highway Agency.

But when would it be done then?

I'm travelling to Manchester twice a week, and that half a mile in Mottram can take half an hour to drive through.

It should have been done about 20 years ago, but an announcement now may mean that it doesn't even start until the vague idea of a bypass is firmed up with a route, then each service is allocated by tender (which could, in itself, take months) so it's quite possible that the first machine isn't put in place for a year or longer, and it could take a couple of years to finish, depending on the complexity of the scheme and how long it takes to buy up the relevant bits of land, secure access and the like.

In short- don't hold your breath :(

Don't forget the hippie mob who will probably try and have a sit-in to prevent the road going through a tiny bit of the countryside.

The same road would ease a ton of congestion and cause a massive improvement in air quality, but since it will trample a few flowers they'd rather die than see it built.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've given up on Mottram recently and my last few trips have included going over Winnatt's pass, onto the A6 and joining up with the M60 near Marple. It takes longer than either Snake or Woodhead when there's no traffic jams (but there are queues all of the time unless you're coming through at 4am!) but it's a nice relaxed drive and doesn't take any longer when the queues are taken into account.

Heading between Sheffield and Manchester airport in the rush 'hour', the Winnatt's Pass-Whaley Bridge-Kettleshulme-Adlington-Styal route is your friend.

Taxi driver took us this way to the airport on a Friday teatime once, I was thinking 'Where on Earth are we going here'? Looks like you're driving into the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Brian Equato

I want to know where the bypass is going. Someones house is up for the chop as I dont think they will be tunnelling....

I thought the bypass was the M62? Or that was the intention.

Heading between Sheffield and Manchester airport in the rush 'hour', the Winnatt's Pass-Whaley Bridge-Kettleshulme-Adlington-Styal route is your friend.

Taxi driver took us this way to the airport on a Friday teatime once, I was thinking 'Where on Earth are we going here'? Looks like you're driving into the middle of nowhere.

Also known as going via Pott Shrigley....and yes, is by far the best way to Manchester Apt from south west Sheffield

I've given up on Mottram recently and my last few trips have included going over Winnatt's pass, onto the A6 and joining up with the M60 near Marple. It takes longer than either Snake or Woodhead when there's no traffic jams (but there are queues all of the time unless you're coming through at 4am!) but it's a nice relaxed drive and doesn't take any longer when the queues are taken into account.

When i go over from up here i pop down into Holmfirth ,then up over the moors on the A635 , drop down through Mossley ,then pick up the M60 at Ashton under Lyne .

Its a lot quicker than sitting in gridlock down though Tintwistle and Mottram.

The Broadbottom sneak through is effective but not that easy. If there is a delay on that route you'll be in deep do-do.

I heard the news that a bypass in Mottram-in-Longdendale was approved by the Highway Agency.

But when would it be done then?

I'm travelling to Manchester twice a week, and that half a mile in Mottram can take half an hour to drive through.

Could you pop a link us for us because I can't find anything other than the PM's promise to do it back in 2014.

Cheers.

That sounds like Pott Shrigley route, so he must be an experienced driver.

-

I doubt Mottram bypass will ever be built personally.