Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't die out, or worse be done by a robot?

I'm actually thinking about the more 'hand-on' type of jobs. If I were leaving school today, and thinking about learning a 'trade' of some sort, then it's a question I would be asking myself.

There's an interesting thing on a beeb website which reckons:

About 35% of current jobs in the UK are at high risk of computerisation over the following 20 years, according to a study by researchers at Oxford University and Deloitte.

So it's a perfectly valid question, especially if starting out in life today.

Here's the website at the beeb which prompted my thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't die out, or worse be done by a robot?

I'm actually thinking about the more 'hand-on' type of jobs. If I were leaving school today, and thinking about learning a 'trade' of some sort, then it's a question I would be asking myself.

There's an interesting thing on a beeb website which reckons:

So it's a perfectly valid question, especially if starting out in life today.

Here's the website at the beeb which prompted my thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

Education and healthcare spring to mind.

Hairdressing ........................

Plumber. It could be automated in new builds but not repairing stuff in old houses.

Hairdressing ........................

True. I wouldn't fancy my hair being cut by a robot. I would have said driving, but they are working on building driverless vehicles. Be interesting to see how the insurance companies deal with that after an accident.

My father always used to say you will never be out of work if you are a priest, a doctor or an undertaker.

Education and healthcare spring to mind.

Production line robot engineer.

Not sure about education...Surely 'in time' that could be carried out by a robot? (Wait for all the teachers to verbally assault me)

Healthcare, I can't really be see 'fully' being outdated (but it depends which parts).

Hahaha...you're possibly right about the production line robot engineer. Although, I think self diagnostic and self 'fixing' mechanoids are a distinct possibility.

True. I wouldn't fancy my hair being cut by a robot. I would have said driving, but they are working on building driverless vehicles. Be interesting to see how the insurance companies deal with that after an accident.

Yea i have thought of that too, As you arnt in control of the car who do you lay the blame on, Also would you need a licence to drive them.

As for a trade what robots cant do, How about a Chef as robots wont have a sense of taste.

Of course the driverless cars will only ever be safe when there's no human drivers left on the road! They are the source of most accidents.

Not sure about education...Surely 'in time' that could be carried out by a robot? (Wait for all the teachers to verbally assault me)

Healthcare, I can't really be see 'fully' being outdated (but it depends which parts).

Education and healthcare will always need the human touch and understanding.

Also as the average age of the population gets older, more people will get ill so it will be a sector that will need people.

Hahaha...you're possibly right about the production line robot engineer. Although, I think self diagnostic and self 'fixing' mechanoids are a distinct possibility.

You'll always need a human to put right the stupid things that other humans will do with/around the robots.

Yea i have thought of that too, As you arnt in control of the car who do you lay the blame on, Also would you need a licence to drive them.

As for a trade what robots cant do, How about a Chef as robots wont have a sense of taste.

Not sure I'd want to be a chef...Up to market at stupid o'clock and working unsociable hours. Plus the pay is only going to be good after years and years of crap pay!