Holiday Dilemma

Do I take the holiday  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do I take the holiday

• Yes, its not fair for our son to miss out
    • No, my partner is correct

For years I have said I would take my son to Orlando once he is the right age - old enough to be able to do everything but still young enough for the magic of it, he loves his films so I thought it would be a good experience, he 13 next years and i'm 50 so perfect opportunity, in the intervening years my partner has developed a fear of flying although its not so much the actual flight but being in a confined space and not being able to get out of it thats the problem, she has catergorically stated that she will never board a plane again, despite doing so many times in the past.

I am prepared to take my son on my own and know another couple that are going with a child of the same age.

I have mentioned this to my partner and she has gone ballistic and basically said we cannot go, I dont really want to upset my partner but feel my son will miss out on something that he would remember for the rest of his life, he's an only child and we will never get these times back, what do I do??

Your partner is being childish for going ballistic, as you put it, and needs to grow the hell up.

If your partner would even consider denying a child the joys of Orlando because they were to wimpy to get on a plane, you need to consider whether this person is right for you and your child.

What a nasty, selfish thing to do.

If your partner would even consider denying a child the joys of Orlando because they were to wimpy to get on a plane, you need to consider whether this person is right for you and your child.

What a nasty, selfish thing to do.

Not a fair comment, but reaches the same conclusion as me.

It's not "wimpy" to have a phobia, it's a mental health issue.

It is wrong however to not even have a discussion about whether you could go without her.

Presumably she feels like she'd be missing out, both on a family holiday and on the fun. But in this case, just once, maybe she should make the sacrifice for the benefit of your son.

Has she considered speaking to your GP about the fear of flying? They might be able to give her medication that would allow her to go.

Go to Disneyland Paris instead?
A good and constructive suggestion...but Disneyland Paris is not a patch on the whole Orlando experience: no 'side' Disney parks (EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, <etc.>), no Universal Studios, no water parks, no evening resort parks, no Sea World, no weather, no Yanks, etc.

I've been to both, they just don't compare (much).

Think of Disneyland Paris as a scaled-down version of Orlando's Magic Kingdom (-ish, there's 2 or 3 rides from the other Orlando Disney parks shoehorned in there as well) and that's it.

Edited by L00b

A good and constructive suggestion...but Disneyland Paris is not a patch on the whole Orlando experience: no 'side' Disney parks (EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, <etc.>), no Universal Studios, no water parks, no evening resort parks, no Sea World, no weather, no Yanks, etc.

I've been to both, they just don't compare (much).

Think of Disneyland Paris as a scaled-down version of Orlando's Magic Kingdom (-ish, there's 2 or 3 rides from the other Orlando Disney parks shoehorned in there as well) and that's it.

Went to Disneyland Paris last May as a "taster" but agree with you, I have done Orlando twice in the past and its much more of an immersive experience add in Kennedy Space Centre, Busch Gardens etc and theres no comparison.

Seems like an extreme reaction, probably because she fears being excluded and made aware of her own phobia which triggers guilt.

You need to talk to her. Maybe get her to go on one of those courses for people with flying phobias, so she can better understand her fears or a general one for claustophobia?

Its just a holiday. You and your chil will survive without it, just as her world wont fall apart if you go. Find a compromise and talk to her.

I don think it helps if you start calling her unreasonable. If its a genuine issue then you need to help her find a solution.

Seems like an extreme reaction, probably because she fears being excluded and made aware of her own phobia which triggers guilt.

You need to talk to her. Maybe get her to go on one of those courses for people with flying phobias, so she can better understand her fears or a general one for claustophobia?

Its just a holiday. You and your chil will survive without it, just as her world wont fall apart if you go. Find a compromise and talk to her.

I don think it helps if you start calling her unreasonable. If its a genuine issue then you need to help her find a solution.

I had looked into the flying phobias courses but are they more of a fear of flying because the plane may crash or do they also deal with claustrophobic type fears.

There are cahrities like anxiety uk who deal with claustrophobia. If you are too agressive or dismissive in her concerns then she may go defensive and dig her heels in as a push back. Its important you talk as then that opens the options of finding a solution rather than arguments.

Will she go to see her GP, will she do anything about it? I'd think the fear of flying courses deal with both. It might be better if she undergoes some CBT/NLP therapy to deal with it. I dont know her, so its hard to estiate how she might react and how willing she would be to do anything about it. The compromise could be if she goes on a cbt course to deal with her fear, then if after full completion she is still unwilling, then you wont go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19255087