M1 Junctions 39-42 Speed Cameras?

Are these actually on? I always stick to 70 mph and last night, with heavy sleet in the air, slowed down to 65ish. I could swear it flashed. Getting paranoid!

Anyone else noticed them?

Yeh they're live, it's controlled by the gantry signs, so if these were set to 50 then you would have been flashed.

If there's no speed limit set they default to enforcing the 70mph limit.

I've seen a couple of people get done by them.

The cameras you need to look out for are the ones mounted on extended arms sticking out on the gantries, these are linked in to the new matrix signs and the second the speed is reduced the cameras switch to match.

Was it reduced when you passed?

As far as I'm aware this stretch of motorway is (at last) 70 mph unless indicated differently?

The cameras you need to look out for are the ones mounted on extended arms sticking out on the gantries, these are linked in to the new matrix signs and the second the speed is reduced the cameras switch to match.

Was it reduced when you passed?

Nope seen them go off when no limit was displayed, I think those are the only type of cameras on that stretch?

I've not seen any cameras mounted on the gantry above the road like the ones nearer Derby ??

Yes its the smart motorways system:rolleyes: the cameras are set to ping at the speed indicated on the gantries the ones in Birmingham on the M42 and at the end of the M1 near watford are the same and they do ping if you go past at 1 mile an hour over the limit,,seen it so many times,they have to get the money back somehow for updating the motorways for us.

Yes its the smart motorways system:rolleyes: the cameras are set to ping at the speed indicated on the gantries the ones in Birmingham on the M42 and at the end of the M1 near watford are the same and they do ping if you go past at 1 mile an hour over the limit,,seen it so many times,they have to get the money back somehow for updating the motorways for us.

The point is even if no limit is displayed on the gantrys the cameras are still active.

The point is even if no limit is displayed on the gantries the cameras are still active.

Yes I think they are as I've seen them ping on the other side of the motorways down near watford on the M1 when there is no speed limit indicated on the gantries..

I've been on the M42 no end of times and never had a speeding ticket despite rarely sticking to the limit.

I haven't found anything fro SYP with a quick search but Avon & Somerset have a page HERE.

There should be a 1 minute delay before the cameras are armed after a change on the speed limit sign. I think this is the national standard, but don't hold me to it.

There has to be a delay to allow someone to slow down safely before the next speed limit display/camera.

ACPO guidelines would suggest that enforcement should begin at 10% +2 MPH. i.e. in NSL for a car; 78MPH should see you in the clear, 79MPH may get a ticket.

Some forces commence @ 105 = 3MPH, I think GMP being one, but don't quote me on it.

Smart motorways = smart at taking your brass.

Angel1.