Sign in to follow this  

What are Intake, Handsworth and Gleadless like?

Originally posted by "monkjack"

Look for the out of town areas. Sheffield carries a price premium for no advantange really when you could find a decent area in Rotherham, say the south side of Broom for a lot less. Or somewhere like Anston. But you're moving further out then.

Your right.........Broom, Brecks and Wickersley are nice areas in Rotherham also parts of Bramley and Thurcroft are worth looking at.

Originally posted by "Jo25"

Hello everyone!

I am hopefully moving to Sheffield soon with my partner and 21 month old toddler. We have visited but only got round to seeing the above areas which seemed ok, but there is only so much you can tell from a quick drive around (we drove up from Sussex so did not have much time).

Can anyone tell me what these areas are like? Out budget is 75k at the most and we are looking for a safe and preferably green area in which to buy a house. Are there any other areas that match our needs and budget with good schools nearby? I don't drive so good transport links would be nice too (don't want much do I?!!)

One last question is what is Rotherham like? Would anywhere in Rotherham match our requirements

Thanks!

PS Hi Linsey - hope u are ok and your visit to Sheffield goes ok - you never know, we could be neighbours soon if we both find the right area!

I grew up in Gleadless Valley and am sorry to say that the area has taken a nose dive in recent years. Norton is an area you might want to consider.

I live nr Crystal Peaks (Sothall) and you can buy houses up my way for less than 75K but you're looking at 2 bedrooms only.... but they are semi detached.

Handsworth is generally regarded as a nice area and is Intake 'IMHO'.

You can get good deals at Intake at the mo.

Gleadless Townend has some nice areas (especially off White Lane).

Other areas to consider are: Meadowhead, Woodseats, Birley and parts of Heckenthorpe.

Originally posted by "lynseyscott"

hi ya Jo and others, I'll be up Sheffield way this weekend and I am gonna look at a few houses too.

Can anyone tell me about Aston?

Aston is very nice.... but a little out of the way if you are going to work in Sheffield town centre.

Again.... might be worth looking at Mosborough, Sothall as well as Aston.

Originally posted by "RPG"

Firstly to Jo, the areas you mention are OK, about 5 miles out of town all got good communities with shops etc, IMHO Handsworth is the best area, Gleadless depends where as this covers a big area and a lot of Council houses/flats ect.

Gleadless is a massive place ;)

the closer to the city borders in gleadless is better/nicer IMO

Yeah, I'd be willing to agree with that.. having grown up there!

I'm moving to Beighton. Hopefully it's a good area, it looks ok.

Is there anything untoward I should know?

I saw that you lived nr Crystal Peaks....that's why I asked :)