Sign in to follow this  

Hi I need some help guys!

Hi everyone, im an A level student hoping to study medicine at Sheffield University this october (grades permitting!).

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding the city and the accomodation? What is the university actually like? Does anyone know anything about the medical shcool and the hospitals?

Thanks

Matthew

As a pretty recent arrival to sheffield myself (4 years ago) I can say it is the finest city I have landed in to date, although Hull and Liverpool have their charms Sheffield wins out.

Accomodation near the university is hard to come by unless you plan well ahead. The standard varies enormously, but if you are in a group planning to share the chances of you finding something good go up.

The city seems to be more a collection of smaller towns with suburbs filling the gaps inbetween. A lot of the suburban housing within the closer city limits is Victorian Terraced housing which I happen to think is an excellent housing solution, but the state of houses varies enormously.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals are nationally recognised centres of excellence. I have receieved cancer treatment at the Weston Park Hospital, and on that evidence alone I would say Sheffield is a pretty good place to fall ill in.

The surrounding countryside to the west of Sheffield is breathtaking, youget good bus access to the whole Peak Distract National park. On a clear day you can see the cooling towers of 4 power stations in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. The only thing that Sheffield lacks is access to the sea. In my opinion they should flood the prehistoric sea between Sheffield and the Wolds, for a much improved city.

Sheffield has great beer at good prices (Don't miss the Sheaf View pub with real german and exotic lagers on tap!), a bustling nightlife (if that is your sort of thing) plenty of international cuisine, good takeaways, pleasant nooks and crannnies to explore and 40,000 students roaming the city getting drunk and shouting a lot. Welcome to Sheffield!

I can only really comment on the Hospitals. I moved to Sheffield from Barnsley.

Barnsley hospital seems more like something you would see in Carry on Doctor with the practises twice as worse. I would rather die on the pavement than be treated in that hell hole.

Sheffield hospitals on the other hand and the medical teams in the community are outstanding. I have have recieved no end of support for most things from my community doc and childrens team. Any problems are reffered straight away.

The staff in the Childrens hospital, Jessops and Hallamshire are fantastic. Appear well organised so they can do their job and enjoy doing it too. My hubby lost his mum to a untreatable cancer - but the care she recieved at Weston Park was second to none and made her last days as comfortable as possible.

Basically even though there can be slight problems as we are only human - overall I cannot speak more highly of the Sheffield hospitals I have been in.

Moon Maiden

I work at the Northern General and we have a very high number of medical students studying here and staying on when they graduate, or at least so I'm told.

Sheffield it's self is a great place to live but you will need to sort out your accomodation sooner rather than later to have a sharter walk to Uni ever day.

Good luck with it all.

The only problem with this forum is that it is making me homesick!