Modern Football .. Pah!

I played football for 18 years (late 70s-mid 90s). Playing twice a week for school and Hillsbro Athletic/Sheffield Ranger/Sheffield Boys/South Yorkshire/and later pubs. As a goalkeeper it was drilled into me by some great coaches that a goalkeeper should always try and catch/hold the ball. Unless a shot was point blank range, penalty or a punch from a corner, it was frowned upon to parry the ball away. Now, goalies do it all the time! Any kind of shot now and it's slapped/punched away. Is it down to the type of ball used these days?

Also, referees these days seem to give in to the crowd, especially Man Utd at home.

football all seems about money these days , there was a time when manager was in charge of the team !! now its the players who if dropped seem to want to move away or if think can get higher wage will refuse to play until sold . Do feel sorry for some managers ,

as for tackles the days of Pearce , Keane , have long gone and im sick of this Diving lark , slight touch and player seems to role over - put em against a sunday morning team think most would crxp themselves:hihi::hihi:

best football to watch is on your local parks pitch where real football is still played in my opinion ;)

football all seems about money these days , there was a time when manager was in charge of the team !! now its the players who if dropped seem to want to move away or if think can get higher wage will refuse to play until sold . Do feel sorry for some managers ,

as for tackles the days of Pearce , Keane , have long gone and im sick of this Diving lark , slight touch and player seems to role over - put em against a sunday morning team think most would crxp themselves:hihi::hihi:

best football to watch is on your local parks pitch where real football is still played in my opinion ;)

Right with money,Everton paying 22million for a player Jose doesn't rate.

The solution to teams getting super defensive is simple.

Two players must at all times be in the opponents half.

They did this I believe in hockey to open the space up a bit and it has made he game a much better spectacle.

The solution to teams getting super defensive is simple.

Two players must at all times be in the opponents half.

They did this I believe in hockey to open the space up a bit and it has made he game a much better spectacle.

Then they would have to alter the offside rules, as the defenders would step over the half-way line and leave them stranded.

True,and that's also what they did in hockey.

Marco Van Basten recently proposed doing away with the offside.

You add the two player over the halfway line rule - and the game would change for the better.

Super defensive football - like the way Middlesboro or WBA play away from home would not be possible.

The first half of the Spurs v WBA game last week - was totally unwatchable for me anyway.

They parked the bus big time and it was worse than watching paint dry.

The recent Euro's and the last WC were blighted too by this super defensive tactic.

Till it changes - I'm pretty much through with watching football.

Edited by MAC33

We used to have 'obstruction'. If you obstructed a player from getting to the ball using your arms, back, backside or whatever, it was an indirect free kick.

Unless you were Kenny Dalglish…

I watched the first 10-15 minutes of the Chelsea v Swansea match and then switched it off,for good!

Swansea nearly instantly dropped all eleven of their players behind the halfway line as soon as the Chelsea defenders and GK had the ball.

Totally boring to watch - only one team trying to press / play.

The solution is simple. Two players from each team must at all times be in the other teams half.

Till this is made a rule - I will only watch a football match when both sides try to press the other side in their own half.

Carrick awarded a testimonial by Manure after 11 years,is football the only job what gives these to employees.?

I feel modern football has its advantages, and downsides.

The game is now played at a much quicker pace, and is now heavily reliant on tactics. However I feel sometimes the simple "just put it in the net" idea is lost.

The game is very stop start, with any niggly foul being pulled up unless a clear advantage is available. Makes the game lack flow.

The WhU v Chelsea match is about to start in half an hour or so.

Not sure who will win but what I can guarantee you is ---- it will be a back to goal defensive strategy from WHU despite being the home team.

They will defend with 11 players in their own half sometimes with 11 defending from just outside the penalty box.

They will rely on occassional forays into the Chelsea half. They will rarely press high up the pitch with decent numbers.

Chelsea will do the opposite and press very high up the pitch with decent numbers.

This is modern football or another description for it is ultra defensive football.

Like Italian football of the 60's and 70's.

Bottom line - it's crap to watch.

The WhU v Chelsea match is about to start in half an hour or so.

Not sure who will win but what I can guarantee you is ---- it will be a back to goal defensive strategy from WHU despite being the home team.

They will defend with 11 players in their own half sometimes with 11 defending from just outside the penalty box.

They will rely on occassional forays into the Chelsea half. They will rarely press high up the pitch with decent numbers.

Chelsea will do the opposite and press very high up the pitch with decent numbers.

This is modern football or another description for it is ultra defensive football.

Like Italian football of the 60's and 70's.

Bottom line - it's crap to watch.

Watched the Man U Bournemouth game on Sat and for once enjoyed the game.