Buying a used Diesel - advice needed

Might pick one up a bit cheaper though?

Don't think it's effected prices all that much, sales of new models took a hit tho IIRC.

Maybe when the recall announcement is made, depends on the work needed and the outcome though.

I bought a 09 ford mondeo titanium tdi a few years back.

35000 on the clock.

It's been a great car, no problems whatsoever and saved me a fortune on fuel after being used to a 2.0 petrol

Chris

Bear in mind not all diesel engines have the DPF. They weren't fitted as standard until around 2008-2009? And only then on larger BHP models. My 2L 90bhp car doesn't have one, nor the dual mass flywheel.

From my experience, the "bad" 1.6 diesel engine mentioned earlier has been unfairly cursed due a combination to poor servicing (Peugeot thought that 20,000 miles between oil changes was fine, yet in other marques the same engine has a service interval of 16,000 miles, and in some, 13,000) and wrong oil used. The oil gets thick and blocks the turbo oil feed pipe and just gums up the engine.

Golfs are good but you will get more car for your cash if you can get a Skoda or even Passat.

3series BMW's, loads of them about, great cars.

Bear in mind not all diesel engines have the DPF. They weren't fitted as standard until around 2008-2009? And only then on larger BHP models. My 2L 90bhp car doesn't have one, nor the dual mass flywheel.

As far as I know anything classed as Euro IV compliant has a DPF. My Ford has and it's an '07.

Golfs are good but you will get more car for your cash if you can get a Skoda or even Passat.

3series BMW's, loads of them about, great cars.

I suppose it depends on what the OP wants. If there were 2 comparable priced cars one being a BMW and one a Skoda, many if not most would probably go for the Beamer. Years ago, I would have. Now, I know that the spec in a good Superb/or cheaper car is as good as. I also know that repairing them is far cheaper with the VW engine, and car as a whole.

The Golf and my A3 option perhaps asks something else that the OP hasn't mentioned, what size vehicle are they looking for? (though I may have missed it if they did say)

Also: If it's a second family car, then I would want to know what size the other one was first.

If it's an only car, and the majority of it is long journeys I would prefer a larger car (i.e Passat/Beamer/Skoda) over a Golf or A3.

If the OP had said they just wanted it for a round town, I would probably recommend the smaller one, and perhaps petrol too.

-

Another option that people have mentioned, but I don't know much about modern ones, is the Ford. These days Diesel engines are pretty good, and for a lot less you could probably pick up a high-spec Ford for far less that Audi/VW/BMW. I had one and it was very good (though it was an older model and petrol) - the rare time it needed anything doing, parts and ease of fixing meant it was very cheap to run.