Sign in to follow this  

Spare room/sofa?

Hello I'm house hunting from 23rd January and with my maxxed out budget going on a place to live (£40K) I can't afford to pay silly rates for a hotel room. Has anyone got a spare room or a sofa I can kip on for a few nights from next Weds/Thurs night. I can pay up to a tenner a night. Can anyone help please? M/38/

Theres something about calling yourself Rampant Rabbit and asking for a room that just makes me think: "Not in my house your not!"

Justa laff really. At 38 I'm well past it and it wasn't until I read The Sun I decided on that name. Anyway if anybody can help I have a tad more sensible name in jamdonut_@excite.com. BTW do you know anything about the Bradway region of Sheffield in S17? Thanx

Bradway is a respectable area situated on the South East outskirts of the city. Has all the usual amenities close by, shops, schools, pubs, bus route etc.......oh and a driving range if your into practising your swing.

Can't help out with the sofa, wish I could. I'm trying to set up a youth hostel for people like your self. You could ring the tourist info we've got and tell them how useless Sheff is to not having cheap accomodation! It'd help me out, the cheapest b+b's I know are £18 if that helps.

Thanx for the tip re: b+b. Thought it might as much as that. Anyway was let down by chap who didn't get back to me on property concerned. Thought £42,000 was too low a price for a nice place in a nice area. Oh well back to the drawing board. Keep up the pressure for those Youth Hostels. Sure more people would visit if they know what Sheffield has to offer but only paying reasonable prices.

Hello Rampant. House prices have gone pretty balistic over here so you may well need a bit more to get the sort of house you want. Hey, you don't fancy being a partner in a buisness do you? My bank would give me a pretty hefty mortgage for a large property,with room for a flat, only my only money has to go into the set up costs and so I cant afford a deposit, shame. yOu shoudl tey looking at hillsborough for houses, or for cheaper, Pitsmoor. It can be a bit rough but I've had a few mates live there happy enough and you can pick up a real nice property if youre lucky. Good luck. N

Hi Nancy

Re the partnership e-mail me on this and tell me what you're thinking ok. As for youth hostels and you don't mind being out of Sheffield (I'm just looking for a cheap+cheerful place fora few days), 10 miles from Sheffield is a place called Hathersage and there is a hostel. Address is Castleton Rd, Hathersage,Hope Valley, Derbys (ahem) Tel: 0870 770 5852 or hathersage@yha.org.uk

Prob not your cup of tea but I need a place to live as I'm living outa cardboard boxes at my parents.

Don't think you'll get much for £40,000 in Hillsborough, I live there and my very ordinary terraced house is valued way above that. Bradway is nice but very pricey. Perhaps your best bet is to try ex council in reasonable area

Guest Guest

Ex council in reasonable area for £40,000?? where??

Sheffield 8 area u'd be lucky to get an ex-council house for less than £55,000. Maybe a 3rd floor 2 bed flat will set you back c£42,000. like you say property has gone ballistic.

In Batemoor Jordanthorpe & Lowedges (classed as an area of depravation where council properties are classed as "hard to let") 3 bed ex-council houses are selling for £60,000+!!

Intake ex-council are selling for c£54,000.00.

Not sure what prices are in Shiregreen or Parson Cross though.....but wouldn't expect anything in region of £40,000.

If Manor is any good to you, not that many think it is, I know 2 bed houses are going for around 35k with a garden etc. York Met housing asscoiation are selling them.

BC

I live in North Anston which is close to Dinnington, not too much here at the moment but it is an up and coming area, we have a Wetherspoons opening in June yippee!!and the people are very friendly. Its a 45 min bus ride from Sheffield though thats the only drawback. You can get a house for the cash you have available, wont be much but its a home. Good luck in your search :)