Sign in to follow this  

Any comments on Firth Park?

I am moving to Sheffield soon and I have looked around place to stay. I will work at Northern General Hospital and I have seen an ad about a semi-detached at Firth Park Road. Is this a safe area as I read from the forum the crime rate is pretty high?

Any suggestion to me about this area?

Looking for someone to contribute.

Thanks.

Which end of Firth Park Road? The end by the hospital is pretty scruffy, with late night takeaways and litter etc. Some of the houses are nice and big, but parking will be a nightmare. As you'll be close the the hospital tho', that may not be a problem. I'm aware of some crime down there - the odd burglary, or car being vandalised, but no major crime families... ;)

The other end of Firth Park Road, towards Firth Park Centre, is nicer, especially the houses looking over the park. You've got shops there and plenty of bus routes to town and Meadowhall. There are plans to redevelop the Park soon, making it an even more attractive place.

Just off Firth Park road are some troubled areas but stay on the main road and you should be OK.

Thanks for your information. I am not sure but it is around Firth Park Cresent and also the Medical Centre - is it near the centre?

I hope to know more about that area, is there any web I can look at?

Firth Park Crescent is at the nicer end of Firth Park, so that's the good news. Look here for a map

Which medical centre are you close by? There's a medical centre in Firth Park Centre, which is close to the shops, but wouldn't be the quietest part of the area. If you look at the map of Firth Park Crescent, the further away from the centre of Firth Park, the quieter. Also, the centre of Firth Park can be very busy, so parking may become a problem if you're living right near the centre.

Originally posted by Abdul

There are plans to redevelop the Park soon, making it an even more attractive place.

Abdul - do you know what the plans entail?

A little - the plans were on display at the Firth Park library a couple of months ago. Note that most of these were proposals, so a final yes or no may not have been given.

Do you know the old basketball court that nobody uses next to the clocktower? That will be redeveloped into a lake, like in this picture taken a century ago!

There's a new community centre and nursery being built as I speak right in Firth Park centre, hopefully to be opening later this year.

The existing swings and slides will be moved elsewhere in teh park, and there will hopefully be decent sports facilities like football pitches.

That's what I remember - if I find more info, I will post it here

Thanks - yeah I know the basketball courts, the lake sounds like a good idea.

The actual park at Firth Park is so nice but I feel that it doesn't get used to its full potential. There never seems to be anybody in it playing games and making full use of it which seems a shame.

Thanks Abdul for your information. I get the post code of that property and it is at s5 6HH. Is it close to the centre? What other facilities are nearby?

Is it very difficult to find a place for off-street parking at that area?

I am not 100% familiar with the exact area that postcode covers, but by looking at this map it seems close to the centre and I think that parking may be a problem. Some of the houses in that area do have a driveway or garage. Do you know if your house does?

Other facilities in the area include a very good Doctors surgery, some dentists (although they are all very busy now and may not be taking on new patients), a sports centre, many bus routes into town and meadowhall, a library and many parks to go walking / running.

You will also be just 5 minutes walk away from the Northern General Hospital.

Are you bringing any children with you? There are a few schools in the area, but I cannot comment on them, as my sons are too young to go.

If you get REALLY bored there's a bowling alley near the centre of Firth Park, just round the corner from the Hospital.

Not as good or cheap as Hollywood Bowl at Valley Centertainment but meh, it'll do for summat to keep the brats entertained on a weekend.

dtytsoi (or similar).

You will be very close to where I live - I agree with Abby - that is a nice area. And very close to the park, shops, library, doctors, dentists, Health Centre and 4+ buses to town and straight to Meadowhall.

PM me if you want to know anything specific.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Abdul

A little - the plans were on display at the Firth Park library a couple of months ago. Note that most of these were proposals, so a final yes or no may not have been given.

Do you know the old basketball court that nobody uses next to the clocktower? That will be redeveloped into a lake, like in this picture taken a century ago!

There's a new community centre and nursery being built as I speak right in Firth Park centre, hopefully to be opening later this year.

The existing swings and slides will be moved elsewhere in teh park, and there will hopefully be decent sports facilities like football pitches.

That's what I remember - if I find more info, I will post it here

I've seen the ongoing works in the park itself but do you know what is happening with the Roundabout? It's all fenced off.