Crime in south Sheffield council estates

I am moving to sheffeild to be nearer my four year old daughter the. Having lost my job the only accomadtion I can really afford is council accomadation and because of my circumstances the only chance I've got of getting accomadation quickly is to move to one of the estates in the south of the city. These houses tend to be in area's likw Batemoor, Lowedges, Gleadless valley and Skelton I have had a drive round and I just want to know which of these areas is safest. I desperartley want to be close to my kid but I havebeen the victum of a violent crime before want some where safe. I'm not greatley worried about the qualty of the housing, the communitie facilties, the friendleyness of the people just somwhere safe. I have found in genereal that area's where there arefewer kids are a bit safer and I suppose my prefferred area would be demographically biased against kids between 12 and 21.

Would really appreciate some unbiased input here.

Thanks.

Gleadless Valley

I grew up in Gleadless Valley and I now live away from the area which should give some indication of what it's like.

It has gone from bad to worse and their is a high level of adolecent crime in the area (when it happens).

This is usually centred around the John O'Gaunt area (around the shops) of Gleadless Valley. So if you post a road or collection of roads I may be able to offer some advice. But although the area is close to my heart, and I know most of the people on the estate, it's not somewhere I would want to bring up my family these days. It's a case again of the minority ruining it for the majority.

Lowedges

I live at lowedges when I got my first flat at the age of 18 (now 26) I was there 2 yrs and can say the area (although supposedly notorious) was quiet, and local ameneties good. The community was very nice, and kept themselves to themselves.

Although there is again a high volume of adolecent's in the area, I was never subjected to crime or violence from them... or even intimidation (then again I am pretty big... well I am a bouncer).

Lowedges for me was a nice area (close to the countryside and quiet).

Batemoor

No real knowledge of batemoor, but have heard it's not the best place in the world. But then again... that's just what I heard; I don't actually know firsthand.

Skelton

Haven't a clue.... again sorry!

You could try Bradway... there is housing associations that cover Bradway and the area is very nice, quiet and friendly. Bradway is just down the road from Lowedges so still in your locality.

You could also try meadowhead and woodseat. Both have council homes, both nice, both within the same sort of areas as the others. Also ask PM CosyWolf as she lives in the Meersbrook area and this is also close to Gleadless Valley, she may be able to offer advice on the community as I have no knowledge.

Hope this helps!

When you say Skelton do you mean the Skelton Lane estate in Woodhouse? If you do then I'd say that out of all the places you listed Woodhouse is the best area. It has it's share of crime like anywhere else but still has a villagey feel about it.

There are other council estate apart from those. Are you wanting to keep to the south of Sheffield?