At least 480 Sheffield band names needed!

How about Disease from the late 70s/early 80s. More recent band is Embassy although I think they have just changed their name.

Singer songwrite Dave Friskney; plays regularly in the Hollybush.

I remember seeing F.I.S.T as a support act at the Leadmill in the mid-nineties. Lead singer and bassist both went to Silverdale.

Cleopatra (I think that's how they spelled their name).

They were a hard rock band from about 1988 and the only decent 'local' live band I ever saw. In fact they were awesome!:thumbsup:

Hi thanks for the nice write up about Cleopatra.

Cleopatra was formed in 1987, and the line up was :-

Adrian Davidson - Vocals

Jon Baker - Guitar

PJ Pearl (Paul Shuttleworth) - Drums

Steve(I am sorry Steve I can not remember your surname Mate) - Bass

and me Tim Cooper - Keyboards

We came from different local groups Jon Baker had been with Confusion Reigns

I had been a founder member of Ant Hill Mob and then formed High Society.

I was dissapointed that we weren't included in the books about the music in Sheffield from around this time as we did have a large following not only in Sheffield as we toured up and down the country.

We made a record and lots of demos at vibrasound and other local recording studio's.

We supported Wishbone Ash at Sheffields Roxy,had good write ups in Metal Hammer and Kerrang one quoting that we were going to be the next big band out of Sheffield while they were doing an artcle about Def Leppard.

We were always close to get a recording contract but split after about 2 and a half years, I think through frustration of not getting the elusive contract.

I would not have really classed ourselves as heavy metal but more like the sound what was just emerging ie Bon Jovi but with a British edge to the sound.

After splitting the singer and myself formed a band with Nigel Durham and Steve Dawson from Saxon and did some work but after a bout six months we both left frustrated.

Both Adrain and myself went onto play the working mens clubs, which I am still doing in a 80's duo called Fascination.

Jon Baker just packed in and never played the guitar again which is a shame as I classed Jon as the best guitarist I have ever played with he was just a natural.

I think PJ dabled in different bands for a while, and Steve told me the last time I saw him that he played for several years in a tribute band which had toured all over Europe.

Yes cheers, to be honest my Dad has written two books about Sheffield music so I do have a pretty huge list of Sheff bands from the past, that list was done almost a week ago and has reached almost 700 now. which is very encouraging for what I have planned, although I do need to get as many of the bands recording as possible now, which is going to be extremely dificult.

I have some recordings of the bands I was in Cleopatra, IDI, Ant Hill Mob and High Society.

Can you put them in alphabetical order please?

Here's some more for you-

Dogger

Neighbourhood Watch

The Threads

Big William

Cleo bassplayer was Steve Heywood. He and John were both from Hackenthorpe.

Steve loved John's old band Confusion Rains, who'd been doing a sort of Zeppelin/Free/psychedelic swamp blues thing.

He reckoned that John was a total Jimmy Page fanatic who'd been completely mortified and shamed when a Kerrang review of Cleopatra said that he was obviously a massive fan of White Lion!

Steve said that both he and John actively hated the kind of music they played in Cleopatra and were only doing it cos that was the sort of stuff that was being signed at the time.

He used to constantly joke that he and John were going to convert Cleopatra to a Rains style as soon as they got signed!

Not seen Steve since 1996 or heard anything of John since 1989!

Edited by Hatesheff

Broke

Dry Heaves

Building Ships