Sign in to follow this  

My memoir set in Sheffield

I thought that members of this group may be interested to learn that I am about to publish my memoir - launch date in Nov. I live in Canada, but I grew up in Sheffield, so the backdrop for the book is Sheffield in the late 1940s to 60s. I spent 2 summers in the Local Studies Library in Sheffield researching events that occurred during my childhood, so there is a fair bit of local "history" interwoven into the narrative.

The book itself describes my personal journey growing up within a family that was initially close-knit, then began to fragment. The social attitudes of the day toward divorce, marital infidelity, and most important, mental illness are major themes. With respect to the latter, I have committed to donate 50% of the book royalties to the Mental Health Foundation (UK) and Canadian Mental Health Association.

The more serious elements of the book are tempered by my use of ironic humour and by what now seems to be the quaintness of the times I lived in. That said, it conveys serious messages about the need to give more attention to mental illness, the futility of family feuding and the healing power of reconciliation and forgiveness.

I invite you to follow the progress of my book on its web and fb pages. Please do feel free to "like," comment, blog and most important, share.

http://www.startingtoframe.com

https://www.facebook.com/startingtoframe

thank you.