Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

16-01-2008, 08:03   #41
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 16,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinjim View Post
I've just read and finished "The Broons 2008 annual".!

Jim
You lucky boy! I loved the Broons and Oor Wullie when I was a kid. (They've been around for ever )
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
16-01-2008, 08:14   #42
surfinjim

Total Posts: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Macbeth View Post
You lucky boy! I loved the Broons and Oor Wullie when I was a kid. (They've been around for ever )
A couple of months ago I was trying to explain to Mrs Surfin how my Gran in Scotland would send The Broons one year for Chrimbo, and then Oor Wullie the following year. Hey presto, she gets the Broons as a cheeky stocking filler for me. I'm now on the hunt for previous Oor Wullie annuals to show my little lad whose 6.

I'll have to find some more serious reading now as well though!

Jim
_______
"Get T'gorilla on!"

"A strong man looks after himself, a stronger man looks after others!"
16-01-2008, 08:51   #43
KTHFB
I'm a Lady!

Total Posts: 15,146
I'm reading How to Stop Smoking Permanently - Allen Carr. 11 days since my last ciggie too!!!!!
_______
There are three sides to every story: yours, theirs, and the truth
There's no heart you can't melt with a certain little smile
16-01-2008, 12:54   #44
StarSparkle
Still Sparkling

Total Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Macbeth View Post
Aww, happy memories! I loved them too as a kiddie - I remember looking at the pictures in Oor Wullie before I could even read!

StarSparkle
16-01-2008, 13:07   #45
Code13

Total Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Just finished Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner - interesting outlook on data, statistics and economics, but a little repetitive. ; nearly finished Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany - a good holiday read, lots of short stories, some of which are a little shocking; and just started Half of A Yellow Sun by Adiche, gripping.
I finished Half of the Yellow Sun a couple of weeks ago (discussing it at book group at the Red Lion tonight) but not my cup of tea. Also just finished Graham Greene's The Heart of the Matter.

If you liked Freakonomics (and I thought it was terrific) then I would thoroughly recommend "The Tiger That Isn't" by Blastland and Dilmot. It is mainly about statistics and shows how many news stories etc are based on completely missleading statistics.
_______
Holding on to something doesn't make it mine.
16-01-2008, 14:33   #46
BoroughGal

Total Posts: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTHFB View Post
I'm reading How to Stop Smoking Permanently - Allen Carr. 11 days since my last ciggie too!!!!!
Good luck, it worked for me, in two weeks I'll have been stopped a year. No desire either. Well done on 11 days!!!!
16-01-2008, 14:42   #47
Sultana

Total Posts: 1,740
I am reading "Making Money", the latest discworld story from Terry Pratchett
_______
"It's life Jim, but not as we know it!"
16-01-2008, 14:50   #48
beckelina

Total Posts: 1,118
Just finished The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman by Louis de Bernieres, for about the 5th time. I love that trilogy!
_______
"It all comes," said Rabbit sternly, "of eating too much."
"I thought at the time, only I didn't like to say anything," said Rabbit, "that one of us was eating too much..."
"And I knew it wasn't me".
16-01-2008, 16:09   #49
trips

Total Posts: 260
Have just finished the Kenneth Williams diarys. He presents himself as a fairly unpleasant, egotistical and repressed character. Very interesting read though.
_______
Like fingerpickin'? http://www.myspace.com/stairxx
16-01-2008, 19:23   #50
samesame monkey

Total Posts: 611
I'm reading 'The wind up bird chronicle' by Haruki Murakami. I usually flt through books but this is taking me ages, it's really good though.
_______
Ok, then I've got to ask you the ultimate question, if you're god, why THAT face?

The Na Zdrove House Band
16-01-2008, 19:38   #51
fatalstarlite

Total Posts: 148
im just halfway through Richard Hammonds biography which is giving a very interesting insight to the work on Top Gear and in to "the accident"......
_______
Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film
16-01-2008, 19:49   #52
gemma86

Total Posts: 431
I've been reading Charlotte Bronte's Villette since WAY before Christmas - I've not read it in a while with having other things to do in the past few weeks.

I decided some time last year that I'd finally like to read some 'classic' stuff from the Brontes and Jane Austen, so went on Amazon and found two big books, one with Austen's entire works and one with 5 novels by the Bronte sisters. So far I've only read Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility and half of Villette, but I am finding the latter much 'easier' than the other two, it's not quite so round-about-the-houses in saying things.

I used to love reading when I was little and had 2 or 3 books on the go from the library. I can't really be bothered these days
16-01-2008, 21:58   #53
Jessica23

Total Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemma86 View Post
So far I've only read Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility and half of Villette, but I am finding the latter much 'easier' than the other two, it's not quite so round-about-the-houses in saying things.

I used to love reading when I was little and had 2 or 3 books on the go from the library. I can't really be bothered these days
If you can plough your way through Austen and the Brontes you're doing pretty well! I've been meaning to read Villette for years...

I'm reading John le Carre and Paul Virilio at the moment. Interesting mixture
17-01-2008, 05:47   #54
fyy123

Total Posts: 525
Upstairs: I'm almost at the end of Norman Wisdoms autobiography 'My Turn' and I am enjoying it very much. His struggle through childhood when he was abandoned by his mother then kicked out by his father, his days on the streets then in the army then a boxer. It's a fascinating story and one I heartly recommend reading.

Downstairs: I'm also almost at the end of Philip Pullmans dark Materials the Northern lights which is the first part of the Golden Compass and I am well and truly hooked. First time I've ever read any of his books and I think this one is wonderful. I've just ordered the other two in the series, So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope they arrive before I finish this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Wallace* View Post
Phillip Pullman his Dark Materials.
Just reading back through what other members are reading and saw that you are reading the same as me, How far are you with it? Ive just got to where she is up in the balloon being pulled along by the witches and finding it very good indeed. What do you think of it?

Last edited by fyy123; 17-01-2008 at 06:04.
17-01-2008, 05:56   #55
fyy123

Total Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by trips View Post
Have just finished the Kenneth Williams diarys. He presents himself as a fairly unpleasant, egotistical and repressed character. Very interesting read though.
I have also read his diaries and agree with what you say Trips, He did seem to had a low opinion of most of the people he worked with like Tony Hancock and a very high opinion of himself but diaries are always more interesting that biographies because they are not written to be read and you get more honesty.

But if you like diaries Micheal Palins Monty Python years is a must. Very interesting read indeed.
17-01-2008, 14:46   #56
bobsyouruncle

Total Posts: 1,057
Send a message via MSN to bobsyouruncle Send a message via Yahoo to bobsyouruncle Send a message via Skype™ to bobsyouruncle
I am currently re-reading Stephen Kings' "The Stand".
Absolutely best book i've ever read!!
_______
Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, thats not a safe place to stand.I'm the Doctor
You're in the biggest library in the universe.Look me up
17-01-2008, 14:59   #57
trips

Total Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I have also read his diaries and agree with what you say Trips, He did seem to had a low opinion of most of the people he worked with like Tony Hancock and a very high opinion of himself but diaries are always more interesting that biographies because they are not written to be read and you get more honesty.

But if you like diaries Micheal Palins Monty Python years is a must. Very interesting read indeed.
Aye i've read that. Very good. I've also read the Tony Benn diary....dull and the Alan Clark diary.....very funny.
Pepys is still the one though.
_______
Like fingerpickin'? http://www.myspace.com/stairxx
17-01-2008, 15:03   #58
neeeeeeeeeek
Sumatran rat-monkey

Total Posts: 14,568
Crow Road, Ian Banks... It's got loads of characters in and I keep forgetting who is who! And it jumps about lots...
It's good tho!
_______
Peeple of zee wurl, relax!
17-01-2008, 15:08   #59
Joey

Total Posts: 1,019
Send a message via MSN to Joey
I've just this minute finished The Ripple Effect by Dominic Holland. Nice amusing light read, thoroughly enjoyed it. Now onto something a bit more meaty I think.
_______
A synonym is a word you use if you can't spell the other one.
Joeys can be girls too !!
17-01-2008, 15:13   #60
surfinjim

Total Posts: 2,695
The biography of Steve McQueen

Just started it ........... now!

Jim
_______
"Get T'gorilla on!"

"A strong man looks after himself, a stronger man looks after others!"
Reply To Topic