Sheffield Forum

Beware of Breitbart lies

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

08-01-2017, 19:07   #1
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 1,462
The far-right 'news' website Breitbart has completely made up a story about a mob setting fire to Germany's oldest church while chanting "Allahu Akbar"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ortmund-church

It's important to know this if either you come across a Breitbart article that you might otherwise assume was true, or if other people cite Breitbart as a source of information that has influenced their opinion. They make things up to whip up hatred against Muslims and migrants, and there is a clear parallel between this and anti-Jewish propaganda in the 1930s. Beware.
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
08-01-2017, 19:10   #2
taxman

Total Posts: 20,354
Send a message via MSN to taxman
I thought Fox "News" was bad but this lot really are dissembling scum.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
08-01-2017, 19:19   #3
carosio

Total Posts: 3,583
Doesn't appear at the bottom of this list either:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/9...y-islamization
08-01-2017, 20:14   #4
BHRemovals

Total Posts: 2,171
the internet has many negatives as well as positives
_______
Man and Van in Sheffield
Phone: 0114 2660829 — 07920 223518
Email: contact@broomhillremovals.com
08-01-2017, 20:23   #5
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 53,641
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
fake news is definitely getting worse
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
08-01-2017, 21:18   #6
the_bloke

Total Posts: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
The far-right 'news' website Breitbart has completely made up a story about a mob setting fire to Germany's oldest church while chanting "Allahu Akbar"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ortmund-church

It's important to know this if either you come across a Breitbart article that you might otherwise assume was true, or if other people cite Breitbart as a source of information that has influenced their opinion. They make things up to whip up hatred against Muslims and migrants, and there is a clear parallel between this and anti-Jewish propaganda in the 1930s. Beware.
However, the facts are that a crowd of foreign people surrounded the church chanting Allahu Akhbar and the church caught fire.

Breitbart is trash reporting and blowing the facts out of proportion to make nonsense, but the German Police are also very good at denying racially aggravated anti social behaviour as well, as seen on NYE a few years ago ('what attacks?').

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7512636.html
08-01-2017, 21:32   #7
retep

Total Posts: 7,437
And having a look at this dreaded site it gives a response,

"Fake ‘Fake News’:
Media Sow Division with Dishonest Attack on Breitbart’s
‘Allahu Akbar’ Church Fire Story"
_______
Death keeps no calendar or return tickets.
08-01-2017, 21:52   #8
mickey finn

Total Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
fake news is definitely getting worse
Fake news is also becoming the phrase people use for anything they dont agree with, how can fake news be weeded out and who will be the ones assigned to police it, it is a mammoth task, who could you trust to filter it out ?
08-01-2017, 22:05   #9
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
Fake news is also becoming the phrase people use for anything they dont agree with, how can fake news be weeded out and who will be the ones assigned to police it, it is a mammoth task, who could you trust to filter it out ?
You'd like to say auntie Beeb but they don't even know who they're interviewing 4ft away!
_______
We get the world we deserve.
08-01-2017, 22:08   #10
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 53,641
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
how can fake news be weeded out and who will be the ones assigned to police it, it is a mammoth task, who could you trust to filter it out ?
thats exactly it Oo
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
08-01-2017, 22:33   #11
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Well, it would be good if you could have a single source of news that was 'the truth' because the people controlling it said it was.

Could be a natural authoritarian backlash to 'fake' news.

In the USSR the main print news was 'Pravda', which literally means 'Truth'

Failing that the state could take control over all media.
_______
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"
Maya Angelou
08-01-2017, 22:41   #12
flamingjimmy

Total Posts: 11,473
Are we only learning this now?

Don't google Steve Bannon guys, you won't like it.
_______
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
08-01-2017, 22:57   #13
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep View Post
And having a look at this dreaded site it gives a response,

"Fake ‘Fake News’:
Media Sow Division with Dishonest Attack on Breitbart’s
‘Allahu Akbar’ Church Fire Story"
Notably they didn't respond to either the Guardian or the Independent when invited to comment because they know they can't hold up under scrutiny.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 22:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjimmy View Post
Are we only learning this now?

Don't google Steve Bannon guys, you won't like it.
No, but it's a particularly good example of why not to trust anything they report.
_______

08-01-2017, 23:03   #14
Harrystottle

Total Posts: 1,176
Ho Ho.

"Fake news" is the first shot in the powers that be trying to regain influence. The proles aren't voting the way they should, the way they are being pointed to vote.

Nobody will lie to you like your own government will.

People talk about fake news and a post truth society? Where were these people when Tony Blair was in power?

Should we return to the Golden Age of truth, when a British Prime Minister stood up in parliament and started talking about weapons of mass destruction to be deployed within 45 minutes? Ring any bells?

Most news outlets including Sky and the BBC are pushing an agenda, as are people like RT, you just have to be aware of the fact.

Fake news? Remember the recent story about the Russians hacking into the electric grid in Vermont, as reported by the "reputable" Washington Post?

Read this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevlee.../#620dbdc9291e
09-01-2017, 07:24   #15
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrystottle View Post
Ho Ho.

"Fake news" is the first shot in the powers that be trying to regain influence. The proles aren't voting the way they should, the way they are being pointed to vote.

Nobody will lie to you like your own government will.

People talk about fake news and a post truth society? Where were these people when Tony Blair was in power?

Should we return to the Golden Age of truth, when a British Prime Minister stood up in parliament and started talking about weapons of mass destruction to be deployed within 45 minutes? Ring any bells?

Most news outlets including Sky and the BBC are pushing an agenda, as are people like RT, you just have to be aware of the fact.

Fake news? Remember the recent story about the Russians hacking into the electric grid in Vermont, as reported by the "reputable" Washington Post?

Read this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevlee.../#620dbdc9291e
All valid points and of course everyone needs to be aware of the agenda of the source they are reading. In Breitbart's case the agenda is virulently anti-Muslim and anti-migrant and they will say anything at all to push this agenda whether true or not.
_______

09-01-2017, 09:22   #16
Harrystottle

Total Posts: 1,176
This is true.
09-01-2017, 10:06   #17
makapaka

Total Posts: 1,560
The Ministry of Truth controls information: news, entertainment, education, and the arts. Winston Smith works in the Minitrue RecDep (Records Department), "rectifying" historical records to concord with Big Brother's current pronouncements, thus everything the Party says is true.

......I'd advise people to get a copy to see how this ends up!
09-01-2017, 10:28   #18
sgtkate

Total Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
All valid points and of course everyone needs to be aware of the agenda of the source they are reading. In Breitbart's case the agenda is virulently anti-Muslim and anti-migrant and they will say anything at all to push this agenda whether true or not.
Yeah, I think that hits the nail on the head. It's also important to look at multiple sources to verify if something is true, we all fall into the category of tending to believe things that align with our own views more than things that do not, so I'm likely to believe the Guardian over the Daily Mail even though the Guardian has printed its share of trash recently too.
09-01-2017, 11:12   #19
mafya

Total Posts: 7,714
Just because a Muslim chants Allahu Akbar it doesn't mean he/she is chanting it for a sinister purpose.
Chanting Allahu Akbar is used in many different contexts, take this story where at a memorial ceremony Muslims chanting the phrase due to mourning fellow countrymen were confronted= http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...unich-shooting
Allahu Akbar is a phrase used commonly in mourning but unfortunately it a a phrase now seen as a terrorists chant.
After prayer I say Allahu Akbar while thumbing my prayer beads a certain number of times, I'm not doing it in a terrorist context I'm doing it as part of my worship.
I think the media has a lot to answer for in regards to spreading disinformation regarding muslims....
09-01-2017, 14:00   #20
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtkate View Post
Yeah, I think that hits the nail on the head. It's also important to look at multiple sources to verify if something is true, we all fall into the category of tending to believe things that align with our own views more than things that do not, so I'm likely to believe the Guardian over the Daily Mail even though the Guardian has printed its share of trash recently too.
I think standards of journalism are generally on the slide, the Guardian is often pretty dire these days, the odd good bit of investigative stuff aside, e.g. phone hacking. The Washington Post story looks like very sloppy journalism but there is a difference between failing to corroborate your source and wilfully making stuff up; although neither is acceptable the latter is worse.
_______

Reply To Topic