Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Opinions please

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Business & Employment

Reply To Topic

12-12-2016, 16:23   #1
NewBiz

Total Posts: 2,121
I'm working with a client who will be offering serviced high-end apartments for people wanting to stay in Sheffield.

Aimed at visitors and businesses who may have staff needing to stay here from 1 night to weeks or months, the apartments will be uber modern, and will appeal to people/businesses that see themselves as very successful, urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated in an understated way, cultured, popular, highly social, super busy, health conscious and driven. They like to work hard and play hard

Their favourite brands might be Verve Clicquot, M&S Foodhall, Waitrose, Next, Apple, Audi, Bmw, with an aspiration to own Porsche maybe. They’d probably prefer to live in large modern open plan houses, or converted warehouses/loft living with chic minimalist furniture, and original pieces of art work that they’d see as a statement about themselves. They would be tech savvy and want to own all the latest must have gadgets.

Appearances matter to these people it’s as much about being seen to be successful and to be ‘living the dream’ as actually doing so. They spend a lot of money on personal grooming, both sexes. They’re probably right-wing leaning and natural Conservative voters.

Given all of the above I would really really appreciate anyone's views on the proposed name which is Homely Apartments.

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon.
_______
www.rainrescue.co.uk saving lives all year round.
12-12-2016, 17:00   #2
L00b

Total Posts: 15,109
'Homely' evokes doilies and chintz everywhere, far too Mrs Bouquet-ish to appeal to the target demographic.

Your client needs something far more aspirational and 'with it'.

Take it from someone who checks some of those stereotype boxes of yours, and who uses exactly these every now and then outside Sheffield (London and Manchester, mostly)

EDIT: and after banging in 'serviced apartments' in Google just for a lark, what should come 3rd in list? 'Homely Serviced Apartment' in S2 (with a 5 star user rating). Now, you've heard about passing-off, right? Or did you ask on here before doing any amount of due diligence at all?

Last edited by L00b; 12-12-2016 at 17:04.
12-12-2016, 17:23   #3
NewBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post
'Homely' evokes doilies and chintz everywhere, far too Mrs Bouquet-ish to appeal to the target demographic.

Your client needs something far more aspirational and 'with it'.

Take it from someone who checks some of those stereotype boxes of yours, and who uses exactly these every now and then outside Sheffield (London and Manchester, mostly)

EDIT: and after banging in 'serviced apartments' in Google just for a lark, what should come 3rd in list? 'Homely Serviced Apartment' in S2 (with a 5 star user rating). Now, you've heard about passing-off, right? Or did you ask on here before doing any amount of due diligence at all?
Hi Loob

Really interesting feedback thank you. Not sure what you're trying to say with your edit though? It's quite possible you were looking at my client's website www.homelyapartments.co.uk they seem to have more than one iteration of it for some reason, so it is a bit confusing to say the least. Also I don't get involved in due diligence, my role is purely helping with marketing and sales
_______
12-12-2016, 17:34   #4
L00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBiz View Post
Hi Loob

Really interesting feedback thank you. Not sure what you're trying to say with your edit though? It's quite possible you were looking at my client's website www.homelyapartments.co.uk they seem to have more than one iteration of it for some reason, so it is a bit confusing to say the least. Also I don't get involved in due diligence, my role is purely helping with marketing and sales
Ah, well, if that's your client, then no issue, forget about the edit (though they're already using the name, so I take it that we're talking about a re-brand...)

Point stands about 'homely', though.

It just doesn't convey "cutting edge-stylish minimalist dwellings with designer furniture, rooftop terraces, 55" OLED wall-mounted panels and Interweb-connected ice making fridges stocked full of yellow Cliquot-Ponsardin goodness"

More like "quiet comfy B&B run by a little old dear" (nothing whatsoever against B&Bs and/or little old dears...but I doubt it's your client product and their target market).

Or maybe it's me. 'Homely' to me is Miranda Hart. But your client sounds like they're marketing Charlize Theron

Last edited by L00b; 12-12-2016 at 17:39.
12-12-2016, 17:39   #5
NewBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post

Point stands about "homely", though.

It just doesn't convey "cutting edge-stylish minimalist dwellings with designer furniture, rooftop terraces, 55" OLED wall-mounted panels and Interweb-connected ice making fridges stocked full of yellow Cliquot-Ponsardin goodness"

More like "quiet comfy B&B run by a little old dear" (nothing whatsoever against B&Bs and/or little old dears...but I doubt it's your client product and their target market).
Hi Loob

As it goes I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I didn't want to influence anyone one way or another with my OP, and I would still dearly love to hear anyone else's thoughts too.

Many thanks again
_______
12-12-2016, 18:41   #6
steveroberts

Total Posts: 3,194
I agree with Stefan (L00B); it's a 'naff' name...however is your client getting lots of enquiries? If so, it doesn't really matter
_______
Delivering Product Design and Industrial Design since 2004.
12-12-2016, 19:00   #7
Mr Bloke

Total Posts: 4,006
Quote:
I'm working with a client who will be offering serviced high-end apartments for people wanting to stay in Sheffield.

Aimed at visitors and businesses who may have staff needing to stay here from 1 night to weeks or months, the apartments will be uber modern, and will appeal to people/businesses that see themselves as very successful, urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated in an understated way, cultured, popular, highly social, super busy, health conscious and driven. They like to work hard and play hard

Their favourite brands might be Verve Clicquot, M&S Foodhall, Waitrose, Next, Apple, Audi, Bmw, with an aspiration to own Porsche maybe. They’d probably prefer to live in large modern open plan houses, or converted warehouses/loft living with chic minimalist furniture, and original pieces of art work that they’d see as a statement about themselves. They would be tech savvy and want to own all the latest must have gadgets.

Appearances matter to these people it’s as much about being seen to be successful and to be ‘living the dream’ as actually doing so. They spend a lot of money on personal grooming, both sexes. They’re probably right-wing leaning and natural Conservative voters.

Given all of the above I would really really appreciate anyone's views on the proposed name which is Homely Apartments.

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sounds to me like 'Delusions of Grandeur' would be a far more apt name...
12-12-2016, 20:02   #8
NewBiz

Thanks for the replies so far. Is there anybody who likes the name and thinks it would appeal to the target audience, and/or feels it conjures up an image of smart, modern city centre apartments.

Thanks all
_______
12-12-2016, 20:06   #9
L00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloke View Post

Sounds to me like 'Delusions of Grandeur' would be a far more apt name...
It's not bragging if you can back it up
12-12-2016, 20:23   #10
Alkeys

Total Posts: 80
Hi
The name doesn't fit the target audience. I think of a retirement apartment as being more suited with that name. A more age 23-45yrs group name would be more suitable. Something urban and catchy.
_______
It's your choice how you live your life. You can choose to be a victim or...You can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.
LuxScents
12-12-2016, 20:27   #11
Chez2

Total Posts: 4,842
I agree with Loobs comments. I'm I like the good things in life, pretty much as your target market but I prefer the country rather than city life. I'm fifty years old and I cringed at the name you suggested ie homely...whatever, it sounds old fashioned to me. I would also think many of your target market will still be aspiring to the luxury lifestyle so not quite 'home' from home for them.

Edit - is this a new building? If not, can the original building use / name be of any help with forming a new name? Is it in the city centre? Is it meant to be for people working or leisure stays too?

Last edited by Chez2; 12-12-2016 at 20:29.
12-12-2016, 20:32   #12
Mr Bloke

Total Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkeys View Post
Hi
The name doesn't fit the target audience. I think of a retirement apartment as being more suited with that name. A more age 23-45yrs group name would be more suitable. Something urban and catchy.

Hmmm...

... how about 'Graffiti Squats'?
12-12-2016, 20:35   #13
NewBiz

Edit - is this a new building? If not, can the original building use / name be of any help with forming a new name? Is it in the city centre? Is it meant to be for people working or leisure stays too?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments It's various city centre apartments, all of which have different names so it's an over-arching name for the business that's needed, and it's for leisure and business clients.
_______
12-12-2016, 21:56   #14
Alkeys

Total Posts: 80
[QUOTE=Chez2;11553331]I agree with Loobs comments. I'm I like the good things in life, pretty much as your target market but I prefer the country rather than city life. I'm fifty years old and I cringed at the name you suggested ie homely...whatever, it sounds old fashioned to me. I would also think many of your target market will still be aspiring to the luxury lifestyle so not quite 'home' from home for them.

I agree
_______
It's your choice how you live your life. You can choose to be a victim or...You can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.
LuxScents
12-12-2016, 22:51   #15
monkeygirl

Total Posts: 487
I think there is a market out there but agree with others that the word "homely" conjures up an image of a much older clientele. When you described the business I immediately thought of the Roomzzz brand which I think links much better to the market you describe.

Hope this helps
13-12-2016, 11:03   #16
Chez2

Quote:
Edit - is this a new building? If not, can the original building use / name be of any help with forming a new name? Is it in the city centre? Is it meant to be for people working or leisure stays too?

Thanks for your comments It's various city centre apartments, all of which have different names so it's an over-arching name for the business that's needed, and it's for leisure and business clients.[/QUOTE]

Is there a theme to the names of the apartment blocks? Could they be linked in some way by this theme to give the business name?

If the business is already doing well I don't think you need to worry too much about being too clever with the name. Sometimes I find people can be too inventive and fail to get across over what the business is about without having a tag line after the business name.

Edit - I have been thinking.......

I'm not saying this is a good idea but a point for discussion. I have a property abroad which is on a serviced complex. We can opt in or out of cleaning / maid service but the complex ranges from bed sit studios to more spacious apartments so its sounds a similar concept to the one you are discussing. Most are privately owned, some are still owned by the property company themselves. Some are for private use, some are for short or long term rental, single nights, holidays to a full season. The term they use for these is often apart hotels. I don't know how the UK market would react to the term apart hotel.

The website looks nice so I go back to saying its more about getting your point across. Its about letting people know that they can stay and use as a hotel or longer term stays.

Last edited by Chez2; 13-12-2016 at 11:43.
13-12-2016, 12:40   #17
NewBiz

Is there a theme to the names of the apartment blocks? Could they be linked in some way by this theme to give the business name?

If the business is already doing well I don't think you need to worry too much about being too clever with the name. Sometimes I find people can be too inventive and fail to get across over what the business is about without having a tag line after the business name.

Edit - I have been thinking.......

I'm not saying this is a good idea but a point for discussion. I have a property abroad which is on a serviced complex. We can opt in or out of cleaning / maid service but the complex ranges from bed sit studios to more spacious apartments so its sounds a similar concept to the one you are discussing. Most are privately owned, some are still owned by the property company themselves. Some are for private use, some are for short or long term rental, single nights, holidays to a full season. The term they use for these is often apart hotels. I don't know how the UK market would react to the term apart hotel.

The website looks nice so I go back to saying its more about getting your point across. Its about letting people know that they can stay and use as a hotel or longer term stays.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. The business is in its infancy and the website is a work in progress. I agree that you can get too smart/obsessed about names however when possible I think it's wise to give yourself a fighting chance with the name, and I really don't think Homely Apartments reflects the offer at all, and could be quite off-putting for the target group.
_______
13-12-2016, 12:55   #18
Chez2

I agree NewBiz. I must say homely apartments does sound like a retirement village so I was pleasantly surprised to see the photos on the website.

The price is very reasonable too. Is there a shop or café nearby where they can buy something for breakfast? Where is the nearest parking? All things I would consider if staying over for business. Perhaps make this more prominent on the website.

It may be worth speaking to Sheffield Chamber of commerce. See if they can do an email advert out to their members.

We have a business twitter account. I will re tweet an advert for you if you want to advertise for the client. Our business twitter account is @ctsenv
13-12-2016, 13:00   #19
NewBiz

Hi Chez2

That's really useful and a very kind offer. There's so much work to do before they're ready to go out all guns blazing but I'm sure they'll take you up on the offer when they're ready.

Thanks again
_______
21-12-2016, 17:01   #20
Margarita Ma

Total Posts: 899
Homely sounds like open or wood-stove fires rather than all electric: Carpets and rugs rather than concrete and laminate flooring. There is a big difference in the sound connotations and associations of home and homely. What we take from the word depends on our past experience of course but homely does not bring to mind the sort of surroundings shown on the website that I saw. Something much more on target is needed.
_______
Do as you would be done by, or be done by as you did.
Reply To Topic