Sheffield Forum

How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 22:58   #41
phil752
Registered User
phil752's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: I some time wonder
Total Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
He actually is losing the popular vote.

With 99% of votes counted, Hillary Clinton has 59,680,006 votes. Donald Trump has 59,479,105 votes.

Clinton therefore has more of the popular vote than Trump.

(As did Al Gore when he lost against Bush Jr in 2000)
at time of post i was correct
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2016, 00:24   #42
Robin-H
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Total Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil752 View Post
at time of post i was correct
He may have been winning the popular vote at the time by 1%, but it was incorrect to say that he had won the popular vote by 1%.

It actually makes your point more valid.

Last edited by Robin-H; 10-11-2016 at 00:38.
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2016, 04:42   #43
Beechwood_S6
Registered User
Beechwood_S6's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 294
I doubt they'll be any friendly deals under the negotiations table from Trump, I think May will want his hands firmly above the table at all times..
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2016, 11:53   #44
Afilsdesigne
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Total Posts: 157
It won't affect Brexit at all other than to give the EU mandarins an even bigger headache than they had before. DT is a battle hardened, successful businessman who has traded in some of the toughest places in America (unionised, Mafia run New York for example). If he applies the same sort of business acumen to running the country as he has done with his businesses, then we stand a chance of doing very well out of it.

Two things stand out, his Scottish roots and golf course and Nigel Farage who may be about to become an amazing (and unwanted by many) link between the two Nations. There is no telling where this might end up.

The world has changed with the political elite ruling class on the run. Whether DT will be allowed to pursue any of his plans by his own party (until he 'drains the swamp') remains to be seen, but for business, DT has to be a good thing. It will be fascinating to see what he does about China and indeed globalisation in general which is responsible for so many manufacturing job losses in both the US and UK. If he does manage to 'level the playing field', normal Americans, just like us Brits, would much prefer to buy home made products provided the price is OK.
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2016, 14:06   #45
apelike
Registered User
apelike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Total Posts: 2,374
I dont think the Trump win will have much effect on Brexit but given we have just had 2 voting upsets what's next? The French elections will be in April and May and the German one in September so more upsets could be on the cards.
_______
The EU PAC-MAN lost.
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2016, 15:05   #46
jonwebb
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Location: lamma island
Total Posts: 13
I think more so than ever the past few years in politics have shown us how dreadfully disjointed, distrustful and fear-infected our world has become.

Due to our insatiable penchant for hyperbole, the media are forced to take ever more extreme stances when trying to force their own opinion across. Making certain groups and people seem like the devil incarnate.

'Due partiality' is extinct, non-existent. Every publication, every broadcaster is partisan - some duplicitously so - so where does that leave us?

We're hurtling towards destruction as a species and our innate arrogance is merely expediting the process.

Because of what we're told is at stake by the omnipotent media, nobody wants to admit that they're wrong. Look at the Labour leadership contest, Brexit and no doubt the fall-out from this election for recent proof.

People hide from dialogue, dismiss dissenters and only hear what they want to hear. This is terrifying, dangerous and certainly not democratic. We're more divided and more dissonant than ever, with this division and dissonance being communicated faster and more continuously than ever before.


The 'let's build a wall'? Could now become a metaphor for stronger borders - something which may actually prove beneficial - we have nowhere near the same experience of immigration in the UK as the U.S.A, and so it's wrong for us to tell them how to get their house in order (particularly after a referendum won on anti-immigrant rhetoric).
  Reply With Quote
18-11-2016, 01:35   #47
phil752
Registered User
phil752's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: I some time wonder
Total Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwebb View Post
I think more so than ever the past few years in politics have shown us how dreadfully disjointed, distrustful and fear-infected our world has become.

Due to our insatiable penchant for hyperbole, the media are forced to take ever more extreme stances when trying to force their own opinion across. Making certain groups and people seem like the devil incarnate.

'Due partiality' is extinct, non-existent. Every publication, every broadcaster is partisan - some duplicitously so - so where does that leave us?

We're hurtling towards destruction as a species and our innate arrogance is merely expediting the process.

Because of what we're told is at stake by the omnipotent media, nobody wants to admit that they're wrong. Look at the Labour leadership contest, Brexit and no doubt the fall-out from this election for recent proof.

People hide from dialogue, dismiss dissenters and only hear what they want to hear. This is terrifying, dangerous and certainly not democratic. We're more divided and more dissonant than ever, with this division and dissonance being communicated faster and more continuously than ever before.


The 'let's build a wall'? Could now become a metaphor for stronger borders - something which may actually prove beneficial - we have nowhere near the same experience of immigration in the UK as the U.S.A, and so it's wrong for us to tell them how to get their house in order (particularly after a referendum won on anti-immigrant rhetoric).
wow is that basically saying the state is out of tune with population, that climate change is getting discredited, giving it the big eve ho, or people know what they want and no one is listening.

Last edited by phil752; 18-11-2016 at 01:38.
  Reply With Quote
19-11-2016, 20:10   #48
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 52,216
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
funnily enough just like brexit, his win has affected the amount of hate crimes in the US

http://www.avclub.com/article/beasti...ed-pro--246186
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
19-11-2016, 21:04   #49
phil752
Registered User
phil752's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: I some time wonder
Total Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
funnily enough just like brexit, his win has affected the amount of hate crimes in the US

http://www.avclub.com/article/beasti...ed-pro--246186
not to mention a lot of civil unrest from Clinton's supporter.
  Reply With Quote
19-11-2016, 21:09   #50
Alan Hartley
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Total Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
funnily enough just like brexit, his win has affected the amount of hate crimes in the US

http://www.avclub.com/article/beasti...ed-pro--246186
Its not organic for the most part; they're a George Soros funded rent-a-mob! just like Black Lives Matter.
  Reply With Quote
19-11-2016, 23:13   #51
BHRemovals
Registered User
BHRemovals's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 1,987
we wont be going out once people realise full consequences
_______
Man and Van in Sheffield
Phone: 0114 2660829 07920 223518
Email: contact@broomhillremovals.com
  Reply With Quote
20-11-2016, 22:13   #52
phil752
Registered User
phil752's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: I some time wonder
Total Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHRemovals View Post
we wont be going out once people realise full consequences
you mean downtown, why would Trump affect that
  Reply With Quote
06-01-2017, 16:57   #53
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,265
I was reading an article in The Times the other day, the writer was a pro Brexiteer, and the point of the piece was to be as positive as possible about Trump`s presidency. many of his arguments were based around the fact that Trump has veered all over the place in his pronouncements, both what he said before running for the presidency and during the campaign (more of this "post truth" era) > so we`ve some reason to hope he won`t actually do most of what he said. However, he said the one area he`s been consistent about all along, was trade tariffs, and even the pro Brexit writer was worried about this.
Just when we`re leaving the biggest free trade area in the world !
GREAT !
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
06-01-2017, 23:46   #54
crookedspire
Registered User
crookedspire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Not a clue any ideas anyone?
Total Posts: 1,028
Trump is an lose cannon says one thing then another I doubt Mr Trump going to lose much sleep over Brexit it's not his problem after all. I'm looking forward to see how he performes in office it's going to be fun to watch.
_______
Not him again isn't their some other forum he can torment?
  Reply With Quote
07-01-2017, 00:06   #55
Litotes
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hunters Bar
Total Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Personally I cannot believe that just when a narcissistic populist, who got the Presidency by promising to protect US jobs by introducing tariffs, is coming to power, the UK is, probably, leaving the biggest free trade area in the world. And there`s more, Trump has consistently said he`d cut back on the US involvement in NATO. During the Referendum campaign the Leave lobby were saying our security is based on NATO, not the EU. So what happens now ?
When he doesn't deliver on the lies: Clinton in jail on day 1, the wall etc, then there will be a backlash against him - the thing is that the US have an out in 5 years... they will not be premanently crippled in the way that the UK will be when Brexit happens - a brexit that occurred mainly because of the lies of the campaign.
  Reply With Quote
07-01-2017, 01:27   #56
apelike
Registered User
apelike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Total Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
they will not be premanently crippled in the way that the UK will be when Brexit happens - a brexit that occurred mainly because of the lies of the campaign.
I thought it was because of the votes counted as lies were peddled by both sides.
_______
The EU PAC-MAN lost.
  Reply With Quote
07-01-2017, 16:18   #57
bazjea
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: HIllsborough
Total Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelike View Post
I thought it was because of the votes counted as lies were peddled by both sides.
If that was the case, the more believable lies must have been told
by the BREXIT candidates.

Last edited by bazjea; 07-01-2017 at 20:29.
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2017, 10:43   #58
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,265
This morning Radio 4 was talking about "the special relationship" between the USA and Britain, they concluded, as is more or less the accepted wisdom, that it matters to us more than it does to America. This assumption that the British are bothered about a "special relationship" with the Americans rather annoyed me because I couldn`t give a toss either way. I`ve always felt we`ve more in common with our European neighbours than our rather brash cousins over the Atlantic. I feel even less attachment to them now they`ve voted Trump into office, in fact I don`t even want to be associated with the Americans any more. With Brexit of course, we`re suddenly like Billy no mates, trying to cosy up to anyone who may ne interested in us. It`s sickening.
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2017, 10:58   #59
Gamston
Registered User
Gamston's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Newark
Total Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
This morning Radio 4 was talking about "the special relationship" between the USA and Britain, they concluded, as is more or less the accepted wisdom, that it matters to us more than it does to America. This assumption that the British are bothered about a "special relationship" with the Americans rather annoyed me because I couldn`t give a toss either way. I`ve always felt we`ve more in common with our European neighbours than our rather brash cousins over the Atlantic. I feel even less attachment to them now they`ve voted Trump into office, in fact I don`t even want to be associated with the Americans any more. With Brexit of course, we`re suddenly like Billy no mates, trying to cosy up to anyone who may ne interested in us. It`s sickening.
We have a common language with America. Their legal system is based on the principles of English law. We watch a lot of American television programs including their News networks. About four million British people visit America each year. We share the same common values as Americans. Americans are great people.

How do know that if every EU country had a referendum, that many would not choose to do what the UK did, and vote to leave the EU ?
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2017, 11:51   #60
Bonzo77
Registered User
Bonzo77's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Total Posts: 7,477
He will probably make it worse. He'll make life a lot harder for so many different sections of society.
Women, who he disrespects.
The disabled, who he mocks.
Muslims, who he hates.
He will cosy up to Putin and the two of them will dictate to the middle east and start another cold war with Europe.

I hope he is assassinated!
_______
Anarchism... stands for liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from shackles and restraint of government. It stands for social order based on the free grouping of individuals.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:12.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017