Sheffield Forum

How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 10:08   #1
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Personally I cannot believe that just when a narcissistic populist, who got the Presidency by promising to protect US jobs by introducing tariffs, is coming to power, the UK is, probably, leaving the biggest free trade area in the world. And there`s more, Trump has consistently said he`d cut back on the US involvement in NATO. During the Referendum campaign the Leave lobby were saying our security is based on NATO, not the EU. So what happens now ?
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 10:13   #2
Petminder
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Total Posts: 818
It won't affect it and I think some people need to stop making prediction because they keep being wrong.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 10:42   #3
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petminder View Post
It won't affect it and I think some people need to stop making prediction because they keep being wrong.
What, like the prediction we could spend another 350 million a week on the NHS if we left the EU. Yes, you`re right, maybe people shouldn`t make predictions, particularly if they may affect the result of an important referendum. The latter having, in my opinion, an effect on the US presidency, which has resulted in us having a narcissistic egotistical populist as head of the most powerful country in the world.

One minor positive of Trump`s election. After the EU Referendum I no longer regarded the US electorate as the stupidest in the world, but know, I can tell you all, they have resumed their crown.
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:11   #4
Bottletop
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Total Posts: 220
So Brexit, and now Trump.
In both cases it is/was reported we were all apparently shocked, not going to vote them in and none of us can believe the outcome. Yet the majority of the UK and US populations have voted in this way.

Do you ever get the impression the press just has way too much sway these days in saying whatever they like? Either that or they no longer have their fingers on the right pulse of the public...
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:15   #5
Robin-H
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Total Posts: 1,421
Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:18   #6
Gamston
Registered User
Gamston's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Newark
Total Posts: 2,131
How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

Answer - The UK will be at the front of the queue.

Bye bye Obama.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:20   #7
Petminder
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Total Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
Trump wants to end big trade deal like TTIP and form trade deals country by country.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:27   #8
tinfoilhat
Registered User
tinfoilhat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 12,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petminder View Post
Trump wants to end big trade deal like TTIP and form trade deals country by country.
^^^On a pretty dark day this is the only ray of sunshine.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:30   #9
mafya
Registered User
mafya's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: on one of the 7 hills of sheffield
Total Posts: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
What, like the prediction we could spend another 350 million a week on the NHS if we left the EU. Yes, you`re right, maybe people shouldn`t make predictions, particularly if they may affect the result of an important referendum. The latter having, in my opinion, an effect on the US presidency, which has resulted in us having a narcissistic egotistical populist as head of the most powerful country in the world.

One minor positive of Trump`s election. After the EU Referendum I no longer regarded the US electorate as the stupidest in the world, but know, I can tell you all, they have resumed their crown.
My bold=
Give it a rest now as the same line over and over is getting boring now.
I see you don't bring up the lies that the remain side told, you remainers need to look in the mirror= http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matt..._12191462.html
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:35   #10
phil752
Registered User
phil752's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: I some time wonder
Total Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
What, like the prediction we could spend another 350 million a week on the NHS if we left the EU. Yes, you`re right, maybe people shouldn`t make predictions, particularly if they may affect the result of an important referendum. The latter having, in my opinion, an effect on the US presidency, which has resulted in us having a narcissistic egotistical populist as head of the most powerful country in the world.

One minor positive of Trump`s election. After the EU Referendum I no longer regarded the US electorate as the stupidest in the world, but know, I can tell you all, they have resumed their crown.
OMG he only won the populist vote by around 1%, that less than brexit, some on here will be calling for a re run. Oh its in American and they already seem to be accepting it
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:37   #11
lizmachin
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Juan Islands. British Columbia
Total Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Personally I cannot believe that just when a narcissistic populist, who got the Presidency by promising to protect US jobs by introducing tariffs, is coming to power, the UK is, probably, leaving the biggest free trade area in the world. And there`s more, Trump has consistently said he`d cut back on the US involvement in NATO. During the Referendum campaign the Leave lobby were saying our security is based on NATO, not the EU. So what happens now ?
Oh dear Another whining thread about the same old same old.
Conservatives in power
Labour Party appoint an unelectable leader
UK votes to leave the EU
Trump becomes US President.

All done through the democratic process.

Some must think their birthdays have all come at once because they have so much to moan about.

Perhaps you need to push for an inquiry into the US elections now.

Last edited by lizmachin; 09-11-2016 at 11:39.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:43   #12
Gamston
Registered User
Gamston's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Newark
Total Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmachin View Post
Oh dear Another whining thread about the same old same old.
Conservatives in power
Labour Party appoint an unelectable leader
UK votes to leave the EU
Trump becomes US President.

All done through the democratic process.

Some must think their birthdays have all come at once because they have so much to moan about.

Perhaps you need to push for an inquiry into the US elections now.
Perhaps, they should move to America and teach those anti Trump voters, who are unhappy with the democratic decision, how to moan and complain.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:45   #13
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
Sorry, is this the same Trump who primarily got elected by promising the (white) working class of America he`d protect their jobs by introducing tariffs ?
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:48   #14
Robin-H
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Total Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Sorry, is this the same Trump who primarily got elected by promising the (white) working class of America he`d protect their jobs by introducing tariffs ?
Perhaps he feels other countries are a bigger threat to American jobs than the UK. He did rabbit on about Chi-na quite a lot.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 11:53   #15
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafya View Post
My bold [ref the infamous 350 million pound claim]
Give it a rest now as the same line over and over is getting boring now.
I see you don't bring up the lies that the remain side told, you remainers need to look in the mirror= http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matt..._12191462.html
I shall not give it a rest. I shall never forget it. And neither will a lot of others.
I read that article, it was, as I`m sure you`ll admit, rather tendentious. That said, there was the one thing the Remain campaign said which I squirmed at, the infamous emergency budget. But that was soon forgotten, even the remain campaign tried to bury it. But back to that article, in case it hadn`t escaped your notice, we haven`t actually left yet, and the Government has already started making (uncosted....) promises to anyone it feels might react badly to Brexit, e.g. Nissan. But spending the NHS`s 350 million, how has that happened.........

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
Perhaps he feels other countries are a bigger threat to American jobs than the UK. He did rabbit on about Chi-na quite a lot.
The implication being the UK is not going to export much to the US ?
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 12:11   #16
Robin-H
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Total Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post

The implication being the UK is not going to export much to the US ?
Did I imply that? All I'm saying it that Trump might consider other countries more of a threat to American jobs than the UK. It is not difficult to think why.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 14:02   #17
andyofborg
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: unimatrix 45
Total Posts: 9,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
Trump said that the UK would get a trade deal with the US before the EU (in contrast to Obama's warning that we would be at the back of the queue).

Don't get me wrong, I did not want Trump to win, but every cloud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
except he wants to tear up nafta and the other's america is involved in

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 13:09 ----------

as with everything, what happens next depends on what he does. on the basis of what he has said and written over the past few years then he may take the USA out of NATO and undermine the network of free trade and other deals which have underpinned global trade for the last 40 years.

Alternatively, once he sees the consequences of some of those actions then maybe he wont do either of these things.
_______
Very funny Scotty, now beam down the uniform
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 14:45   #18
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post
Did I imply that? All I'm saying it that Trump might consider other countries more of a threat to American jobs than the UK. It is not difficult to think why.
I think you did. Trump got voted in by cleverly portraying himself as anti establishment and "for" the working man. We`ll pass on how thick so many Americans must be to fall for that one, and concentrate on the fact he appealed to the working classes in particular by promising to introduce tariffs to protect their jobs. Almost by definition, if he`s not going to introduce tariffs on British goods it can only be because there won`t be much of an effect on American jobs by not doing so, due to the fact there won`t be much stuff imported. Either that or he`s just as duplicitous as most other politicians.
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 14:47   #19
Alan Hartley
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Total Posts: 2,841
Post Brexit Britain has a friend in Trump, whereas it wouldn't have under Hillary Clinton.
  Reply With Quote
09-11-2016, 14:48   #20
Justin Smith
Registered User
Justin Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofborg View Post
except he wants to tear up nafta and the other's america is involved in

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 13:09 ----------

as with everything, what happens next depends on what he does. on the basis of what he has said and written over the past few years then he may take the USA out of NATO and undermine the network of free trade and other deals which have underpinned global trade for the last 40 years.

Alternatively, once he sees the consequences of some of those actions then maybe he wont do either of these things.
So, is he cleverer than we think, but also a typical lying politician who never does what he said he would. Or is he actually going to do all those things and cause Gawd knows what problems for the USA and the World.
On balance I`m obviously hoping he`s just a typical politician. The thing is, Hitler got voted in because the population didn`t believe he actually meant to do all he said he would, but he did mean it. Not that I`m equating Trump with Hitler, not yet anyway !
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017