Sheffield Forum

CCTV recommendations

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 16:49   #41
alarmingmark
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Total Posts: 450
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
My friend on the next road had burglars last week and although she has a burglar alarm she forgot to switch it on when she went out. She is now thinking of having security cameras installed . I think she will be shocked at the price of supplying and fitting. Has anyone already got these cameras and are they worth it ? Your advice would be welcome.
If she didn't switch on her alarm , is she going to remember to check to see if the cameras are working if she had them ? They can fail ! Better to spend the money on physical security and set the alarm !
And as cyclone has pointed out they may take the recorder as well

Last edited by alarmingmark; 01-04-2016 at 16:52.
  Reply With Quote
01-04-2016, 16:52   #42
mmitchell
Registered User
mmitchell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: sheffield S5
Total Posts: 2,303
I bought mine off Amazon last year and installed the system myself, It was easy to fit as well and I was surprised of the quality of the pictures especially at night where the images are clear.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Channel-Hi...camera+systems
  Reply With Quote
01-04-2016, 18:23   #43
mafya
Registered User
mafya's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: on one of the 7 hills of sheffield
Total Posts: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
My friend on the next road had burglars last week and although she has a burglar alarm she forgot to switch it on when she went out. She is now thinking of having security cameras installed . I think she will be shocked at the price of supplying and fitting. Has anyone already got these cameras and are they worth it ? Your advice would be welcome.
Costco have a 4 camera 702 HD set up with 1tb hard rive in store for 215.98 until this Sunday. Remote viewing on mobile or tablet etc and lifetime support.
  Reply With Quote
01-04-2016, 18:48   #44
dongle
Registered User
dongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Total Posts: 2,969
I'm looking at some cammy ones 7.50 per month per camera, there monitored with alerts to your phone and live viewing, all images are stored on the cloud and you can access and control it from your mobile phone
  Reply With Quote
02-04-2016, 00:32   #45
glitterballs
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Total Posts: 194
My 2p worth.
Make sure all doors and windows are shut/locked and you have an alarm and set it, end of.
Yes you may have/want the latest system of video security but whats the point of seeing your hard earned belongings taken or smashed while sunning yourself on the beach!
If you alert the police they may not turn up for days, then they'll just give you sympathy and a crime number and go back to form filling.
Ooh, but I've got a good 1080p video showing their faces
"Have you?"
"YES"
"oh, but its not really that clear is it?" don't call us, we'll call you.

This happened to my parents, the video was stored in't cloud and locally and it did bugger all.

Sweet dreams x
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 19:20   #46
ihpb
Registered User
ihpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Total Posts: 103
You will need to read this guide if you install cameras on your house https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organis...f-practice.pdf

On my daily visits I see cameras on houses and have come to a chilling side conclusion that they are also used to control the occupants in the house to see if they go out or have visitors. You have to think what are the cameras for and what do they say when they are up. A crime ridden area or the home of a controlling abuser?
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 19:25   #47
mafya
Registered User
mafya's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: on one of the 7 hills of sheffield
Total Posts: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpb View Post
You will need to read this guide if you install cameras on your house https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organis...f-practice.pdf

On my daily visits I see cameras on houses and have come to a chilling side conclusion that they are also used to control the occupants in the house to see if they go out or have visitors. You have to think what are the cameras for and what do they say when they are up. A crime ridden area or the home of a controlling abuser?
My bold=
How exactly do you come to this side conclusion?
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 19:34   #48
mafya
Registered User
mafya's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: on one of the 7 hills of sheffield
Total Posts: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba View Post
hi i am thinking of putting cctv up externally outside my house, looking for around 3 cameras decent quality, any of you got any advice on what system i should go for and a rough price if you have had CCTV fitted?

thanks
I just bought one of these for 450 off another seller on EBay, HD quality that records sound as well= http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANN-SWNV...oAAOSwJQdW-79i
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 19:36   #49
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpb View Post
You will need to read this guide if you install cameras on your house https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organis...f-practice.pdf

On my daily visits I see cameras on houses and have come to a chilling side conclusion that they are also used to control the occupants in the house to see if they go out or have visitors. You have to think what are the cameras for and what do they say when they are up. A crime ridden area or the home of a controlling abuser?
Or people wanting to protect there property with piece of mind ?

I live in a decent area and have had 4 cameras up for years and they seem ti do the trick as things have happend to neighbours but not me but it could also be my 4 staffys that help as well !!

Make sure they only view your own land as had the police at my house checking as neighbours didnt like it.
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES

Last edited by Starlc; 04-04-2016 at 19:48.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 19:42   #50
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy livin View Post
Yawn.

yet another uninformed fool spouting bull as fact.
Must be uninformed by the police then as i have had them at my house before making sure they only view my property as the neighbours didnt like them keyboard warrior !

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 19:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
No it isn't.
Police have said they are to me so your wrong.
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES

Last edited by Starlc; 04-04-2016 at 19:50.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 20:27   #51
Easy livin
Registered User
Easy livin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: No longer in Walkley
Total Posts: 603
Then your listening skills are broken.
I will repeat

You are wrong.

Want it in bold?
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 20:34   #52
mmitchell
Registered User
mmitchell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: sheffield S5
Total Posts: 2,303
Since we've had CCTV installed at our house, we have had the police knocking on our door on 4 occasions asking if they could view the footage from our hard drive because they have been incidents somewhere on the rd or in the park, and not once did they say it was illegal to record public areas. In fact I have very funny CCtv footage on my Facebook page of cyclist going A*se over t*t on one of those stumps the council put in on the grass verge.

Last edited by mmitchell; 04-04-2016 at 20:37.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 20:39   #53
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell View Post
Since we've had CCTV installed at our house, we have had the police knocking on our door on 4 occasions asking if they could view the footage from our hard drive because they have been incidents somewhere on the rd or in the park, and not once did they say it was illegal to record public areas. In fact I have very funny CCtv footage on my Facebook page of cyclist going A*se over t*t on one of those stumps the council put in on the grass verge.
Well i have so what can i say !

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 20:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy livin View Post
Then your listening skills are broken.
I will repeat

You are wrong.

Want it in bold?
Dont care what you say when ive had 2 coppers at my house telling me otherwise.
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES

Last edited by Starlc; 04-04-2016 at 20:50.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 20:48   #54
Pkingy
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 429
A Friend of mine had his house broke into to get his car keys. He had security cameras on their way out they posed in front of the camera wearing ski masks and put two fingers up to him while dangling his car keys in front of the camera. Never saw his car again
_______
if the man who invented the drawing board got it wrong what would he go back to
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 20:54   #55
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkingy View Post
A Friend of mine had his house broke into to get his car keys. He had security cameras on their way out they posed in front of the camera wearing ski masks and put two fingers up to him while dangling his car keys in front of the camera. Never saw his car again
You will do well to stop anybody who is determined burglar, all you can do is make it as hard as possible.
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 21:21   #56
Easy livin
Registered User
Easy livin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: No longer in Walkley
Total Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlc View Post
Well i have so what can i say !

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 20:40 ----------



Dont care what you say when ive had 2 coppers at my house telling me otherwise.

There are none so blind.

Your wrong. It's hard to put it more clearly.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 21:27   #57
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy livin View Post
There are none so blind.

Your wrong. It's hard to put it more clearly.
Right or wrong i have had the "POLICE" telling me this !
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 21:34   #58
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 66,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlc View Post
Must be uninformed by the police then as i have had them at my house before making sure they only view my property as the neighbours didnt like them keyboard warrior !

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 19:43 ----------



Police have said they are to me so your wrong.
The police are not experts in the law.

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 21:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlc View Post
Right or wrong i have had the "POLICE" telling me this !
The police tell people lots of things, they are often wrong though.

If it were illegal, you'd be able to locate the law which made it illegal and prove it...
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 21:40   #59
Starlc
Registered User
Starlc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
The police are not experts in the law.
Listen the police come to my door and tell me this, i obviously believe what they are saying and dont need some nerdy keyboard warriors being clever when they wouldnt say boo to a goose in real life.

If im wrong its because of being told by the police but i think i will beleive them over the walkley uni brigade ! Lol

Anyway im done, on yer bike !
_______
Live free, ride a bobber !
I'm Starlc, I do what I want !
LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES

Last edited by Starlc; 04-04-2016 at 21:57.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2016, 21:43   #60
Easy livin
Registered User
Easy livin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: No longer in Walkley
Total Posts: 603
Why not just spend 5 minutes researching the facts and you can stop looking silly.


It is Not illegal to film the street.
You can film or photo graph anything you wish that's available to the public eye.
That means Street. Your neighbours front lawn. The queen. The police themselves. And a whole lot more.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:02.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017