Sheffield Forum

2015/16 recommended tradesmen MEGATHREAD no advertising/self promotion

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Topic Closed

08-09-2009, 10:26   #1
Aqua

Total Posts: 214
I've just moved to Woodseats and need a window cleaner. Does anyone know of a window cleaner in that area that comes around monthly or fortnightly?

Thanks,
A x
_______
Onwards and upwards!

09-09-2009, 08:59   #2
shazzamattazza

Total Posts: 548
Try Firths 07876735307, we live on Woodseats and they clean ours and several neighbours windows.
_______
You can't be young forever.

But you can be immature for the rest of your life.

09-09-2009, 09:31   #3
norks

Total Posts: 2,349
sham.69er on here is brilliant. he has done my windows for ages and does a really good job.... is cheap too

09-09-2009, 17:13   #4
Dizzyblonde

Total Posts: 1,545
I can recommend firths. I had several no hopers and phoned around trying to find one, eventually chased these guys down in the street and begged them to do my windows. Have had reliably clean windows ever since. The also do my gutters for me every so often as lucky enough to have a council lime tree outside house.
_______
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom too?" (Douglas Adams)

04-08-2014, 16:58   #5
tashman

Total Posts: 1
Hi All,

Just after a bit of help / advise on a few building maintenance issues:-

1. Our wooden bay window frame has started to rot and needs fixing / replacing, possibly needs the roof re-felting too - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?
2. Wooden guttering is overflowing when it rains (new last year) we need someone to come out an unblock / fix - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?
3. Attic room dormer window facia board needs replacing, possibly needs the roof re-felting too - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?
4. New back door and frame needed, looking for a hardwood stable door style door, frame and fixtures and someone to fit it - any suggestions on recommended shop / tradesmen?
5. As a result of guttering leaking, could do with external brickwork re-pointing - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?
6. Also looking to get kitchen / dining room skimmed / re-plastered in the near future - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

We live in Sheffield S8 in a typical Sheffield Terrace house with off-shot kitchen and attic conversion (if that helps at all). Ideally want to get some of this list sorted before Autumn. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

04-08-2014, 17:22   #6
Mac_Plas

Total Posts: 821
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...48135&page=113

Check here over the last few months, be careful of recommendations from users with only 1 or 2 posts.

Be prepared to wait for decent guys, horror stories are common on here 3/4 times a year from customers who have either gone for the cheapest, available quickest, handymen who are not competent or a mixture of all 3.

Hope this helps, Chris @ MAC Plastering
_______
www.MAC-Plastering.com
MAC Plastering - Plastering, Approved by 6 Render manufacturers, EWI installer /Colour Acrylic/Silicone/Mono Rendering. - Chris @ 07849946223 or 0114 437 2004 Render sample panels available. NEW Magnetic plaster available. Qualified & Insured

04-08-2014, 21:12   #7
dan2802

Total Posts: 3,798
Send a message via Skype™ to dan2802
Agree with Chris.
Avoid anyone who's new (not that means they are bad).
There are loads of us who have been here for years, the 'numpties' get found out very quickly on SF !!!
Good luck with whoever you decide to go with.

04-08-2014, 21:32   #8
ben2136

Total Posts: 16
I'm looking for someone to do a bit of minor concrete repair on an old garage and fixing a loose paving slab. Any recommendations for S35 area?

Ben

04-08-2014, 21:34   #9
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 43,468
Mod Note

Have turned this into the new 2014 Recommended Tradesmen Megathread

(original thread was here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=548135 )

Just a reminder to those posting that self-promotion and spamming/ self-advertising is not welcome.

When asking for QUOTES, the rule remains the same as before:- please place any requests for posts in the appropriate section, in Classifieds, under "Jobs"

Thanks
_______
1.5 billion Muslims on this planet...
500,000 muslims in Australia...
ONE mentally ill criminal in a cafe... Lets keep a sense of perspective here.

05-08-2014, 09:08   #10
Branch Out

Total Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Plas View Post
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...48135&page=113

Check here over the last few months, be careful of recommendations from users with only 1 or 2 posts.

Be prepared to wait for decent guys, horror stories are common on here 3/4 times a year from customers who have either gone for the cheapest, available quickest, handymen who are not competent or a mixture of all 3.

Hope this helps, Chris @ MAC Plastering

Whilst I agree with everything else you have said there, I think it is completely unfair and misleading to state people should be careful of those posts with only 1 or 2 post, or new members.

Some people join specifically to praise good workmanship so others may benefit from their good experience. Every single person on here has 1 post to start with, it just may happen to be a recommendation.

Common sense must prevail with any tradesman/contractors in your home.
Get quotes. Don't just settle on one quote.
Keep a open mind.
If its cheap there will be a reason, for example not VAT registered or have any employers liability or public liability. Nor any guarantees for your money.
Do your research and ask yourself if you would be happy to leave the potential workmen in your home unattended or with your keys as sometimes that has to happen.
_______
Since when did my wild oats become All Bran?

05-08-2014, 12:52   #11
Mac_Plas

Total Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Out View Post

Whilst I agree with everything else you have said there, I think it is completely unfair and misleading to state people should be careful of those posts with only 1 or 2 post, or new members.

Some people join specifically to praise good workmanship so others may benefit from their good experience. Every single person on here has 1 post to start with, it just may happen to be a recommendation.
It's not really unfair or misleading, it's common sense, and with a bit of research on some of the recommendations, not just in that thread, you can work out who is giving themselves self recommendations or getting partners to do so on occasions.

I saw a few weeks ago a recommendation for a guy with a phone number ending 111 (number just an example)

A quick previous post search of the poster and it was obvious to see that she was his partner as they had posted in the for sale section with said tradesmen's phone number to contact them if you wanted to buy the item.

I have also followed a guy about 2/3 years ago after he had 2/3 recommendations from 1 or 2 post users and saw the bad work he left which I had to rectify for 3 separate customers, basically they moaned about the previous guy and the same name kept popping up.

As dan said, they are not all bad, but it's worth keeping yours wits about you when using someone who has little history, there is no regulations on the job section (something I have mentioned before) therefor anybody can sign up and anybody can pretend to be what they fancy.

Remember you cannot bad mouth tradesmen on here SF will simply remove it
_______
www.MAC-Plastering.com
MAC Plastering - Plastering, Approved by 6 Render manufacturers, EWI installer /Colour Acrylic/Silicone/Mono Rendering. - Chris @ 07849946223 or 0114 437 2004 Render sample panels available. NEW Magnetic plaster available. Qualified & Insured

Last edited by Mac_Plas; 05-08-2014 at 12:58.

05-08-2014, 13:23   #12
Emmab1102

Total Posts: 2
I have a corrugated asbestos shed roof that needs removing and disposing of. Does anyone know any good companies to contact for quotes? Don't want to remove myself. Shed is 10ft x 6.5ft. Thanks.

05-08-2014, 15:27   #13
iahmed

Total Posts: 505
Try E4 Environmental Services. Also, whoever you use, make sure you get a consignment note to show that it has been disposed at a registered tip as there are a lot of cowboys removing and flytipping.
_______
“One learned man is harder on the devil than a thousand ignorant worshippers.”

05-08-2014, 18:28   #14
laurajane7

Total Posts: 12
Would definitely recommend Jeff Smith Joinery Solutions. Very friendly guy, did a great job replacing a shelf under my kitchen sink at a decent price.
_______
Laura

06-08-2014, 12:15   #15
Zueco

Total Posts: 1
We used Whitecliffe builders for a number of jobs (including changing a bedroom into a bathroom and vice versa, new windows, replasterboarding and skimming walls), and we can recommend them highly. It's not a cheap discount company, but we thought it was certainly value for money. The project grew unexpectedly and we appreciated that they were flexible to stay on longer and complete the job. Martin and John were a pleasure to have in the house, they were friendly, always on time, and cleaned up after themselves.

06-08-2014, 13:28   #16
whitecliffes

Total Posts: 47
Hello Zueco.
Thank you for your recommendation on here.
It was a pleasure to work for you and we hope to work with you again in the future.
Whitecliffes.

06-08-2014, 13:43   #17
dongle

Total Posts: 2,975
pitty you cant un recommend tradesmen. like the ones who arrange appointments and never turn up, or ring and say not coming now i'm going on holiday instead.

06-08-2014, 15:19   #18
thecypriot1

Total Posts: 34
my new house needs rendering but i cant seem to find any tradesmen here that are as good as back home, most dont even turn up to quote and the others are very vague how hard can it be? any suggestions welcome "Yammas"!

---------- Post added 06-08-2014 at 15:25 ----------

ooops put it in the wrong section can it be moved to sheffield section thanks
"yammas"

06-08-2014, 15:26   #19
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,015
Yammas, just a tip: don't go for the cheapest guy out there without ensuring his references. We did for a simple job that we didn't think could go wrong and it needs redoing a couple of years later due to a moronic error in consistency for outdoor use (or at least that is what I have been told).

06-08-2014, 17:03   #20
suecatsitter

Total Posts: 606
take your time see work done,try and get a guarantee for work done etc

have a walkabout your neighbourhood if you see some nice on a house knock on there door ask who did it

lots of good company's out there you just have to find them,good luck
_______
Cat Sitting all areas in Sheffield
fully Insured and crb checked pet first aider
http://www.suescatsitting.co.uk/
like me on Facebook

Topic Closed