Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Forums marked as read?

Home > General > Forum News & Feedback

Reply To Topic

21-11-2013, 01:22   #1
Allen

Total Posts: 2,555
It only happens on Sheffield forum......and I use a few.

If I don't change page for ten minutes or so, for whatever reason.....everything is marked as read.
I no longer see unread threads highlighted , and the small icon allowing me to pick up a thread from where I last read is also gone!
Why?

Things happen...someone knocks at the door, the dog needs a pee....
And returning to SF....the above has happened!

Yes...the "remember me" is ticked...and no, I never log out of the forum.

Why!!!!!!!!
09-03-2016, 02:06   #2
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
It only happens on Sheffield forum......and I use a few.

If I don't change page for ten minutes or so, for whatever reason.....everything is marked as read.
I no longer see unread threads highlighted , and the small icon allowing me to pick up a thread from where I last read is also gone!
Why?

Things happen...someone knocks at the door, the dog needs a pee....
And returning to SF....the above has happened!

Yes...the "remember me" is ticked...and no, I never log out of the forum.

Why!!!!!!!!
Does Admin not read the feedback pages?
Question asked in 2013..... And it is still happening!!!
10-03-2016, 23:16   #3
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 35,883
Apologies for missing your first thread when it was posted, but if we missed it when it was posted then we're not likely to spot it later on once it's no longer in the first few pages. For reference for anybody else posting similar queries, please alert either the Helpdesk or report your thread if you'd like to be sure that someone in the admin team has seen the thread.

Now, to answer your post. I'm sorry, but we have no reference or other reports of this occurring.

What browser are you using? Are you allowing cookies on the forum?

This doesn't happen to my account and without being able to replicate this it's hard to work out what is causing it. I'll pass it up the line to see if the site owner knows what is causing this, but also need to ask:

Is anybody else having this happen?
_______
'OK, I don't make films, but if I did they'd have a samurai.'
17-03-2016, 22:13   #4
Dude111

Total Posts: 2,439
On sites that have 'DATABASE THREAD TRACKING' enabled this does not happen because your READ STATUS is kept IN THE DATABASE... (You have to manually mark all read when your done) Otherwise your COOKIE keeps your status and YES,letting your session timeout resets your read status...

DATABASE THREAD TRACKING is useful but can be quite database heavy so alot of VBB sites have it disabled....
27-03-2016, 22:59   #5
simonj

Total Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
Apologies for missing your first thread when it was posted, but if we missed it when it was posted then we're not likely to spot it later on once it's no longer in the first few pages. For reference for anybody else posting similar queries, please alert either the Helpdesk or report your thread if you'd like to be sure that someone in the admin team has seen the thread.

Now, to answer your post. I'm sorry, but we have no reference or other reports of this occurring.

What browser are you using? Are you allowing cookies on the forum?

This doesn't happen to my account and without being able to replicate this it's hard to work out what is causing it. I'll pass it up the line to see if the site owner knows what is causing this, but also need to ask:

Is anybody else having this happen?
Yes, been happening to me since I joined (10+ years ago). Same circumstances as previously posted and on multiple browsers. There are times that something else distracts me and that's it, I'm logged out and all unread posts show as read when I log back in. On the odd occasion I do post something I have to make sure I don't take too long about it
_______
"Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me"
11-10-2016, 02:38   #6
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonj View Post
Yes, been happening to me since I joined (10+ years ago). Same circumstances as previously posted and on multiple browsers. There are times that something else distracts me and that's it, I'm logged out and all unread posts show as read when I log back in. On the odd occasion I do post something I have to make sure I don't take too long about it
It's not just me then!
It doesn't log me out, but marks "all forums read" after ten minutes without I change page.
Yes I allow cookies.....and have tried different browsers.

It happened again today!
12-10-2016, 08:23   #7
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Total Posts: 15,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
It's not just me then!
It doesn't log me out, but marks "all forums read" after ten minutes without I change page.
Yes I allow cookies.....and have tried different browsers.

It happened again today!
I have no idea what the reasons might be. All I know, is it doesn't happen to me. Sometimes I'm logged into the site 'all day' and it never happens to me
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
Reply To Topic