Boiler/heating Megathread Pt 2 - boiler & heating queries, no quotes

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

05-12-2012, 21:11   #41
FORE

Total Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete-Heat View Post
its the one you need. you have live, switched live, and neutral. Its just a straight swop over (isolated at the mains of course). all modern thermostats have heat anticipator built in.

andy

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 20:21 ----------

or you could install the Honeywell DT90E. a little more expensive as its digital but has the anticipator built in.

2 wire install so you would isolate the live and run the common / switched live and neutral from it.

andy
Thanks for your time Andy. Are these anticipators variable for sensitivity? the ones I was reading about on the 'net had a lever setting or similar inside.
05-12-2012, 22:52   #42
Complete-Heat

Total Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORE View Post
Thanks for your time Andy. Are these anticipators variable for sensitivity? the ones I was reading about on the 'net had a lever setting or similar inside.
Yes that's right. Dial ones have bimetallic strip that warms up quickly and so is more sensitive to temp changes. Newer digital Honeywell one has a resistor to compensate for the temp change. Even more sensitive which is why you can also put them Ito Eco mode.

Andy
05-12-2012, 23:05   #43
FORE

Quote:
Yes that's right. Dial ones have bimetallic strip that warms up quickly and so is more sensitive to temp changes. Newer digital Honeywell one has a resistor to compensate for the temp change. Even more sensitive which is why you can also put them Ito Eco mode.

Andy
So with my problem, I would be better to have a digital one - and not just for the looks?

It appears my room temp was more steady with the old 10kw boiler as it was probably working most of the time to achieve a decent temp
Not bad for a gas valve & relay, only repairs in 25+ years!!
06-12-2012, 07:51   #44
Complete-Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORE View Post
So with my problem, I would be better to have a digital one - and not just for the looks?

It appears my room temp was more steady with the old 10kw boiler as it was probably working most of the time to achieve a decent temp
Not bad for a gas valve & relay, only repairs in 25+ years!!
Either will do as difference is so small. Suppose digital ones look smarter.
Yes your old boiler would have been "cycling" to maintain the temp so using more gas. However as u said I have swooped over many,many old solid and reliable boilers. But reliable not efficient. Today there are not many reliable and efficient combos which is why us guys on here promote the best boilers to install.

Andy
12-12-2012, 13:48   #45
Lucy-Lastic

Total Posts: 2,987
Hi
We have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 that is just under 2y old and has started to fail and show a F.75 fault on really cold mornings. It does begrudgingly relight (at the moment) and the pressure is good. What could be causing this? What should I do about it - my installer suggested that I should just contact Vaillant...

Last edited by Lucy-Lastic; 12-12-2012 at 20:46.
12-12-2012, 20:49   #46
Complete-Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy-Lastic View Post
Hi
We have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 831 that is just under 2y old and has started to fail and show a F.75 fault on really cold mornings. It does begrudgingly relight (at the moment) and the pressure is good. What could be causing this? What should I do about it - my installer suggested that I should just contact Vaillant...
LOL.....installers fitting boilers that they know nothing about....bang a boiler in and walk away..

Vaillant are a fantastic boiler and were the only boiler make I used to fit. However, there is one boiler that is not as reliable as the rest....and yes its the "pro".. There is a problem with the pump used in that boiler as to save cost Vaillant used another supplier rather than sticking with Grundfoss. So the pump is the weak part and that's the problem with yours.

When it starts the firing sequence the control board monitors the pump speed. The seals in this pump can stick especially in cold weather and it struggles to start up spinning (so sends the code F75)

This code can also appear if the water pressure drops although the control board is so sensitive it will throw the code F22.

The pump needs replacing and now Vaillant have gone back to grundfoss so any replacement will give more years of fault free service

Andy
12-12-2012, 20:57   #47
Lucy-Lastic

Quote:
LOL.....installers fitting boilers that they know nothing about....bang a boiler in and walk away..

Vaillant are a fantastic boiler and were the only boiler make I used to fit. However, there is one boiler that is not as reliable as the rest....and yes its the "pro".. There is a problem with the pump used in that boiler as to save cost Vaillant used another supplier rather than sticking with Grundfoss. So the pump is the weak part and that's the problem with yours.

When it starts the firing sequence the control board monitors the pump speed. The seals in this pump can stick especially in cold weather and it struggles to start up spinning (so sends the code F75)

This code can also appear if the water pressure drops although the control board is so sensitive it will throw the code F22.

The pump needs replacing and now Vaillant have gone back to grundfoss so any replacement will give more years of fault free service

Andy
I realised it was a plus not a pro so is it still most likely to be a pump thing. It has been going ok since I kick started it again at 6pm. So do you also suggest that I call Vaillant direct?
12-12-2012, 21:16   #48
Complete-Heat

Vaillant give a standard guarantee on parts and labour for 2 years. But the boiler must have been installed by an installer who is gas safe registered and who notified the boiler. So yes call them to repair.

They will also make sure that the installer properly flushed the heating pipework. The reason I say this is I think your pump is sticking on your "plus" model (which is a grundfoss pump) due to sludge. Again in cold weather it gets thick and the pump struggles to spin. If you have a magnetic filter on (magnaclean), Vaillant will swop the pump over free of charge no questions asked.
12-12-2012, 21:17   #49
AF Removals

Total Posts: 645
Got a 3 bedroom house with a baxi comibi boiler, what pressure should it run at?
The heating is on half and been on most of the day but it's still not warm. Would more pressure sort this ?
12-12-2012, 21:23   #50
ricgem2002

Total Posts: 8,324
mine is 1 and a half
12-12-2012, 21:29   #51
AF Removals

Total Posts: 645
Mines just under 1, don't want to top it up n do any damage ? Don't no too much about them
12-12-2012, 21:38   #52
Lucy-Lastic

Quote:
Vaillant give a standard guarantee on parts and labour for 2 years. But the boiler must have been installed by an installer who is gas safe registered and who notified the boiler. So yes call them to repair.

They will also make sure that the installer properly flushed the heating pipework. The reason I say this is I think your pump is sticking on your "plus" model (which is a grundfoss pump) due to sludge. Again in cold weather it gets thick and the pump struggles to spin. If you have a magnetic filter on (magnaclean), Vaillant will swop the pump over free of charge no questions asked.
Thanks everso for that. We have a magnaclean and it has been serviced last Feb :S Oh well hopefully we won't need to wait for too long for someone to come and have a look at it for us.
12-12-2012, 21:40   #53
mafya

Total Posts: 7,655
Mine is 1.1 when cold and just looked now and it is 1.7 whilst heating is on.
My boiler is a vailant combi.

Last edited by mafya; 12-12-2012 at 21:44. Reason: more info
12-12-2012, 21:51   #54
Complete-Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Removals View Post
Got a 3 bedroom house with a baxi comibi boiler, what pressure should it run at?
The heating is on half and been on most of the day but it's still not warm. Would more pressure sort this ?
boiler pressure wont really affect the heat produced at the rads. Low pressure will cause a boiler to lockout.

I always fill boilers to 1 bar when cold so they usually rise to 1.5 bar when the heating is on. First thing is to make sure the temp control on the boiler is on full. Then feel the 22mm heating pipes which leave the boiler. Is the flow pipe hot (it should be). If it is then the prob is with the pipework and rads. If its not then prob in the boiler and could be quite a few things (pump, diverter valve, thermistors, gas pressures)
13-12-2012, 19:07   #55
JBradleybz

Total Posts: 2,139
Agree with complete-heat set the pressure at 1bar no need for any more than that. Check all rad valves and boiler isoation valves are open, sounds silly but found that situation only this week.
Check for heating flow and that you have circulation from the boiler.
Cheers jon at JB Heating.
_______
www.jbheatingservices.co.uk 07930144256 gas safe 506357 fully insured and domestic gas qualified. We are Ideal approved installers.
Unvented hot water servicing, repairs and installation.
13-12-2012, 19:33   #56
speleo1

Total Posts: 3,834
epiphany,
maybe you got an old system with a hot water tank to heat up first befor you get hot water,
what boiler do you have may help
16-12-2012, 17:47   #57
Strix

Total Posts: 32,576
Posting on behalf of a friend whose boiler is on the blink with 3 young kids in the house. Hoping it's something simple. The manual is missing

Boiler ignition wont light, knob for radiator thermostat on boiler has come off. Not sure if two problems are related but has left us without heating since yesterday. Model 415 valiant ecotec

Does anybody have any idea what to check before going to the expense of a call out please?
16-12-2012, 19:11   #58
FORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend whose boiler is on the blink with 3 young kids in the house. Hoping it's something simple. The manual is missing

Boiler ignition wont light, knob for radiator thermostat on boiler has come off. Not sure if two problems are related but has left us without heating since yesterday. Model 415 valiant ecotec

Does anybody have any idea what to check before going to the expense of a call out please?
Try this for the manual (?) http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/d..._servicing.pdf

Is it just the heating? Is the water from the taps OK? Or do they have neither?
Is any code displayed?
16-12-2012, 19:22   #59
*Peaches*

Total Posts: 13,515
No hot water either, water running no problem wih emersion. It's me with the problem

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 19:22 ----------

No code displayed either
_______
Its better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and prove it beyond all doubt

www.facebook.com/singingcavystud
16-12-2012, 19:37   #60
FORE

Does the gas ignite when you turn the hot tap on?

if you're not sure, leave it running for 10 secs & have a look outside - do you see the 'steam' from the flue outlet?
Reply To Topic