Sheffield Forum

Help wth a leaking patio, which is also a roof for the room below !

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

27-11-2016, 22:39   #1
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,229
Here`s a curve ball. The house we`ve bought has a small workshop under the patio and the conservatory. The problem is the roof leaks in bad rain. I think what we need is a concrete screed putting over the patio tiles. But who would we get to do that ? It`s not really a roofing job (though it is technically a leaking roof), but how many builders could put a concrete screed down with a perfect "fall" for the water to run off ?
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
30-11-2016, 14:00   #2
spider1

Total Posts: 2,756
Its what you call a bodge job . Not worth spending a lot of money on . Prob could buy a big roll of visqueen and lay it on top letting it lap a foot over edges . Were it meets the wall you will have to turn it up wall 4 inches and cut a chase out 10 mm deep and feed polythene [ visqueen ] in, The whole job is a bad design and wants an architect / surveyor to have a look at it .You will have water ./ damp/ coming through walls sooner or later when it cant get through roof ./

Last edited by spider1; 01-12-2016 at 21:23.
30-11-2016, 17:35   #3
andrejuan

Total Posts: 2,041
I think concrete would just end up cracking. Shouldn't it be done with a fine tarmac type material. I have seen it on yards and roofs many times.
_______
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up.
11-01-2017, 15:13   #4
ripon street

Total Posts: 200
I know what your problem is and I have dealt it before. If you need some advice please call 07516308170. Graham
11-01-2017, 21:15   #5
dan2802

Total Posts: 3,736
Send a message via Skype™ to dan2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
Its what you call a bodge job . Not worth spending a lot of money on . Prob could buy a big roll of visqueen and lay it on top letting it lap a foot over edges . Were it meets the wall you will have to turn it up wall 4 inches and cut a chase out 10 mm deep and feed polythene [ visqueen ] in, The whole job is a bad design and wants an architect / surveyor to have a look at it .You will have water ./ damp/ coming through walls sooner or later when it cant get through roof ./
Your obviously not up to date with modern flat roof coverings.
Shouldnt be too much of a job to fix.
Why do you feel the need to jump on every post and claim everything is a bodge job?

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Here`s a curve ball. The house we`ve bought has a small workshop under the patio and the conservatory. The problem is the roof leaks in bad rain. I think what we need is a concrete screed putting over the patio tiles. But who would we get to do that ? It`s not really a roofing job (though it is technically a leaking roof), but how many builders could put a concrete screed down with a perfect "fall" for the water to run off ?
Would need to have a look but polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.
11-01-2017, 21:53   #6
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2802 View Post
Your obviously not up to date with modern flat roof coverings.
Shouldnt be too much of a job to fix.
Why do you feel the need to jump on every post and claim everything is a bodge job?[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 20:17 ----------[/SI

Would need to have a look polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.
And you dont grasp the problem ./ Water will run of the roof run down and come through the walls . Sika rendering from the inside will not solve the problem no matter what they promise you . Only extensive work from the outside will sort this. Bad design from the outside by a bodger// Sorry i caught a nerve but its called experience to many bodgers on here This is not only a roofing problem try and grasp it

Last edited by spider1; 12-01-2017 at 01:56.
11-01-2017, 22:37   #7
dan2802

Quote:
And you dont grasp the problem ./ Water will run of the roof run down and come through the walls . Sika rendering from the inside will not solve the problem no matter what they promise you . Only extensive work from the outside will sort this. Bad design from the outside by a bodger// Sorry i caught a nerve but its called experience to many bodgers on here This is not only a roofing problem try and grasp it
Have you seen the job or are you just guessing ?
11-01-2017, 22:54   #8
spider1

Quote:
Have you seen the job or are you just guessing ?
Small workshop under the patio get it Jobs yours nobody else wants it and dont forget to give them written guarantee
Roofers -do roofs
joiners - do joinery work
Ground workers -do ground work / drains / concrete etc
Bricklayers - lay bricks
Bodgers = do all the lot and hundreds on forum
GOT IT - Stick to your trade what youre good at
If youre a small builder get the right trades in to help and do it right dont bodge

And if you get a prob you get advice from trades / Dont put a new roof on if walls are falling down See a bricklayer he has more over all knowledge of any trade

Last edited by spider1; 12-01-2017 at 18:07.
12-01-2017, 20:28   #9
dan2802

Quote:
Small workshop under the patio get it Jobs yours nobody else wants it and dont forget to give them written guarantee
Roofers -do roofs
joiners - do joinery work
Ground workers -do ground work / drains / concrete etc
Bricklayers - lay bricks
Bodgers = do all the lot and hundreds on forum
GOT IT - Stick to your trade what youre good at
If youre a small builder get the right trades in to help and do it right dont bodge

And if you get a prob you get advice from trades / Dont put a new roof on if walls are falling down See a bricklayer he has more over all knowledge of any trade
Good response. Been on the sherry again?
I've been on here years, if I didn't know what I was doing i'm sure i'd have been found out by now.
12-01-2017, 21:40   #10
spider1

Quote:
Good response. Been on the sherry again?
I've been on here years, if I didn't know what I was doing i'm sure i'd have been found out by now.
Actually no bricklayers builders dont drink sherry only beer. And i was working on building sites when you were still at school and forgot more than you will ever know. My best mate used to be a roofer before he just retired with his own firm so dont tell me about roofers yes a roofer not a builder he didnt get involved with building work as it was not his game . I used to knock about with all the Marley roof tilers and used west street pubs etc . Stick to what youre good at best advice i was given ./ And oh i dont like cheeky kids :
13-01-2017, 10:42   #11
Justin Smith

Quote:
Would need to have a look but polyurethane covering may well be a good solution for you.
I have considered that, but would that look OK, bearing in mind it`s a patio ! And, would it put up with people not only walking on it but sitting on chairs on it ! ? ! There`s also one other slight complication, as if it isn`t complicated enough already..... There are (thick) glass panels in the floor, to let light through, ideally I`d like to keep those. Yes I know, I don`t want much do I !
The other chap is right in one way. There`s probably some water coming down through the walls too. Water will always find a way, unless it`s 100% excluded, preferably letting gravity do the work for you. He`s also right that it`s a multi skill job, mid way between a building job and a roofing job, that`s why it`s complicated. Having said that, I`m sure there are people about who could sort it.
_______
They`re stealing me and my family`s European citizenship, and we`re mad about it......

Aerials and Digital TV
13-01-2017, 12:26   #12
Eddie_shef

Total Posts: 608
Quote:
I have considered that, but would that look OK, bearing in mind it`s a patio ! And, would it put up with people not only walking on it but sitting on chairs on it ! ? ! There`s also one other slight complication, as if it isn`t complicated enough already..... There are (thick) glass panels in the floor, to let light through, ideally I`d like to keep those. Yes I know, I don`t want much do I !
The other chap is right in one way. There`s probably some water coming down through the walls too. Water will always find a way, unless it`s 100% excluded, preferably letting gravity do the work for you. He`s also right that it`s a multi skill job, mid way between a building job and a roofing job, that`s why it`s complicated. Having said that, I`m sure there are people about who could sort it.
Could it be the glass panels that are leaking?
13-01-2017, 14:13   #13
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_shef View Post
Could it be the glass panels that are leaking?
I don`t think so actually. Possibly unsurprising considering how much silicone has been used in fitting them !
_______

Aerials and Digital TV
13-01-2017, 14:31   #14
Eddie_shef

Total Posts: 608
Quote:
I don`t think so actually. Possibly unsurprising considering how much silicone has been used in fitting them !
Hmmm maybe resealing the patio tiles? Is it a lot of water that leaks through in a particular area or is it more of a general seepage?
14-01-2017, 11:27   #15
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_shef View Post
Hmmm maybe resealing the patio tiles? Is it a lot of water that leaks through in a particular area or is it more of a general seepage?
No it`s only a small amount.
_______

Aerials and Digital TV
14-01-2017, 13:39   #16
spider1

Same as my previous post . if you want the roof seen to get some one like dan2802 to sort it but dont expect him to take responsibility for the water running of the roof and then coming through the walls . He is prob as good as you get the as a roofer on the forum . .
i have worked on hundreds of jobs with garages / rooms with patios on top so yes it can be sorted but its now a major job as it wasnt done right in the first place / If your only want the roof area sorted and you are happy with state of walls give dan2802 seek his advice but just doing the roof properly is a big job as patio wiil prob have to come up then re-done // Sorry i cant do job myself but have retired. // If you want to go the whole hog re-build etc look in the yellow pages for a small builder Cheapest you can do is take up patio lay thick visqeen on slab sand relay slabs

Last edited by spider1; Yesterday at 13:13.
Reply To Topic