Sheffield Forum

Starting my own catering business.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Business & Employment

Reply To Topic

11-01-2017, 17:05   #1
davetherave1

Total Posts: 152
Hi i have recently lost my job in a warehouse and have decided to try my hand at doing party and event catering. I have 6 years experience as a chef and a kitchen assistant and have been told im a good cook. Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to how to do this. Any and all information very welcome and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
11-01-2017, 17:45   #2
pmart4

Total Posts: 41
Sorry to hear about your job.

Your first hurdle is new business. You need to look at how you are going to advertise and then maybe get talking to event organisers.
Marketing your business with free samples/tasters to event companies is always a good shout (but you will really need to impress).

There are lots of local business support groups who offer free advice on getting started.
_______
I'm going to make the rest of my life the best of my life.
11-01-2017, 17:54   #3
Chez2

Total Posts: 4,790
What about premises to prepare food in and your hygiene certificate from the council? What about insurance, a vehicle with suitable business insurance and also public liability insurance? Are you up to date with other regs on food labelling for allergies etc?

Do you mean cold buffet catering, warm buffets or coking in your clients house for events as a private chef?

Have you thought about contacting a pub that has a kitchen but doesn't currently serve food?

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 09:42 ----------

No reply davetherave1 ?

Your profile says you have been logged in after we posted our comments.
Reply To Topic