The "I am currently reading" thread

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

24-12-2016, 19:06   #2501
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Just finished the latest Rebus by Ian Rankin. Satisfyingly gripping. If it wasn't for having to go to bed I could have easily finished it in one sitting.
No-one could accuse you of being ill-read Taxman! I imagine you wandering around Sheffield, bumping into lampposts with your nose buried in a book.
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
25-12-2016, 17:10   #2502
taxman

Total Posts: 20,353
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
No-one could accuse you of being ill-read Taxman! I imagine you wandering around Sheffield, bumping into lampposts with your nose buried in a book.
We have a week in Edinburgh every year and love recognising all the locations Rankin writes about, especially The Oxford Bar.

I can't for the life of me know why he hasn't set a murder here, the out and out scariest place in Edinburgh.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
07-01-2017, 12:24   #2503
lectrolove

Total Posts: 1,553
I've just finished The Lonely City by Olivia Laing. This is a fascinating book, unexpectedly finding herself alone in New York following a relationship breakdown Laing was inspired to explore how experiences of loneliness and isolation are manifested in art. It sounds quite dry from the description but is actually extremely readable. 10/10
07-01-2017, 12:49   #2504
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 49,929
Ive just finished Inferno by Dan Brown.

I quite enjoyed it although his books are all very similar. It has taken me over a month to read but thats not a reflection on the book, I sometimes just seem to fall out with reading

7/10
_______
They come they come, to build a wall between us.
We know they wont win.
Dont let them win.
10-01-2017, 19:40   #2505
lectrolove

Total Posts: 1,553
Following The Lonely City I'm now reading another Olivia Laing book, To The River. In this one she walks the length of the River Ouse in Sussex, wherein Virginia Woolf drowned, and muses on a wide variety of subjects. Deep and flowing. 10/10. I think Olivia Laing might be my new best friend, she's also written a book about the role of alcoholism in literature which I'm itching to get my hands on.
10-01-2017, 20:23   #2506
feargal
bitterly caustic

Total Posts: 2,617
I'm reading "The North" by Paul Morley. I can only read about 10 pages at a time, because his writing style in it is so odd. He writes in long sentences with many, many, many, many commas. Its driving me mad. I want to like the book, but its hefty... Gonna take me years at this rate.
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
13-01-2017, 17:06   #2507
metalman

Total Posts: 6,512
Just finished 'Dancing naked in the mind field' by Kary Mullis. He won the Nobel prize for Chemistry in 1993 for inventing the polymerase chain reaction, which revolutionised DNA research. But that's where the resemblance to a conventional scientist ends because Mullis is also a bit of an oddball - he took LSD in the 60s, likes surfing, believes in astrology and has some against the grain views on AIDS and global warming which often get him into trouble. Oh, and he thinks was abducted by an alien that looked like a glowing racoon.

He was also associated with the wonderful Max Gergel, whose own bizarre, scurrilous but highly entertaining memoir, titled 'Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?' can be downloaded from the link on his Wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Gergel
13-01-2017, 18:16   #2508
taxman

The Blackhouse by Peter May. Appealed to me due it's wild Isle of Lewis location. Murder and long kept secrets amongst the guga hunters. Looking forward to the other books in the series.
_______
14-01-2017, 07:20   #2509
feargal
bitterly caustic

Quote:
The Blackhouse by Peter May. Appealed to me due it's wild Isle of Lewis location. Murder and long kept secrets amongst the guga hunters. Looking forward to the other books in the series.
I really enjoyed Black house, and the next one. I found the third got a bit samey, but I did read them back to back. Perhaps I should have spaced them out a bit more, but I was going to Lewis and wanted to finish em before I went!
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
15-01-2017, 14:28   #2510
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargal View Post
I really enjoyed Black house, and the next one. I found the third got a bit samey, but I did read them back to back. Perhaps I should have spaced them out a bit more, but I was going to Lewis and wanted to finish em before I went!
I'm on the second one now, The Lewis Man. I am finding his technique of alternating chapters between present day and old memories a tad annoying.
_______
15-01-2017, 18:31   #2511
feargal
bitterly caustic

Quote:
I'm on the second one now, The Lewis Man. I am finding his technique of alternating chapters between present day and old memories a tad annoying.
Oddly, i just came back from my mums, and she's handed me Coffin Road by the same author. She found it on the charity table at sainsburys. Can't get away from the bloke!
_______
16-01-2017, 13:15   #2512
mikeG

Total Posts: 2,208
'I Let You Go'. by Clare Mackintosh. A well thought out plot which keeps you guessing.
19-01-2017, 11:14   #2513
Hallows

Total Posts: 8
Anyone read a book by Sean Mayes, detailing his time as a pianist for David Bowie on the '78 'Stage' shows across the world? It's called 'Life On Tour With Bowie'. One of those books I didn't want to end, especially knowing the author has now left us.
22-01-2017, 14:17   #2514
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargal View Post
Oddly, i just came back from my mums, and she's handed me Coffin Road by the same author. She found it on the charity table at sainsburys. Can't get away from the bloke!
Now finished The Lewis series and on the whole really enjoyed them.

Now reading The Vault, a Wexford novel by Ruth Rendell. Good but I keep getting distracted by lousy proofreading. If I can spot errors and inconsistency why couldn't the publisher? No doubt they use a machine to proofread these days which will spot spelling mistakes but not out and out errors.
_______
22-01-2017, 16:34   #2515
feargal
bitterly caustic

Quote:
Now finished The Lewis series and on the whole really enjoyed them.
Finished Coffin road... None of the back and forth in time a good read.

I feel your pain with proof reading. So many books nowadays...
_______
28-01-2017, 14:11   #2516
taxman

Julian Barnes, The Noise of Time.

Very readable, a like his style.
_______
12-02-2017, 12:53   #2517
taxman

The Whisperers by John Connolly.

Supernatural detective fiction. Whizzing through it.
_______
12-02-2017, 14:02   #2518
joinerisme

Total Posts: 22,761
Little Dribbling-Bill Bryson.

I find his writing very amusing.
12-02-2017, 14:05   #2519
petemcewan

Total Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman View Post
Just finished 'Dancing naked in the mind field' by Kary Mullis. He won the Nobel prize for Chemistry in 1993 for inventing the polymerase chain reaction, which revolutionised DNA research. But that's where the resemblance to a conventional scientist ends because Mullis is also a bit of an oddball - he took LSD in the 60s, likes surfing, believes in astrology and has some against the grain views on AIDS and global warming which often get him into trouble. Oh, and he thinks was abducted by an alien that looked like a glowing racoon.

He was also associated with the wonderful Max Gergel, whose own bizarre, scurrilous but highly entertaining memoir, titled 'Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?' can be downloaded from the link on his Wikipedia page here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Gergel
Read it along time ago. Fascinating read. He was latter -unfairly in my opinion- labelled as an HIV denialist. His PCR techniques are widely used in HIV detection.
I'm currentnly reading: "Sex, Ecology and Spirituality", by Ken Wilber.
I estimate it will take me the rest of my life to finish it. So it goes.

Last edited by petemcewan; 12-02-2017 at 14:12.
17-02-2017, 13:41   #2520
taxman

Losing Ground by Catherine Aird. Quirky detective fiction.
_______
Reply To Topic