Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Noises coming from new extension

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

05-01-2017, 10:57   #1
bertyboop

Total Posts: 460
Hi all. As some of you know, we had an extension done last summer. Ever since its been doing my head in because it sounds like someone is breaking in at night. I keep hearing taps and cracks loud enough to be as if someone has banged on the door or wall.
It went on for 3 hours this morning, starting at 5.35, and ended about half 8. I got sick of it after 10 minutes of it so went to check there was no one at the door downstairs.
I've had a listen and it sounds to be coming from the outside wall where the door is and near the top of the extension (roof).
It's way too loud for it to be birds on the roof, so someone please help me out!

Also, only after 6 months we have mould in the bedroom. We have the vents open all the time, and in mornings the bathroom window open to let the sun in. It's only surface mould as yet but how can we stop this?

Cheers for reading

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 11:05 ----------

Can admin put this back in general discussions please as I need this problem sorting asap
05-01-2017, 17:29   #2
geared

Total Posts: 11,806
Have you got an extraction fan in the bathroom?

The tapping knocking, could that be some excess underlay used in the roofing thats flapping about??
05-01-2017, 17:46   #3
Snooker147

Total Posts: 71
Is it a single story extension and is there any cracks anywhere on the walls ?
Does it have a bay window ?
05-01-2017, 18:26   #4
MikeDaMouse

Total Posts: 787
Is it a pitched or flat roof? if its flat and they have put Grp on it could be the edge / wall fillets creaking with expansion.
Would contact the builder that did it though, he's obviously seen the job so could shed some light. No-one can really diagnose a problem without seeing the job.
_______
05-01-2017, 19:13   #5
spider1

Total Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post

The tapping knocking, could that be some excess underlay used in the roofing thats flapping about??
Yes i would go for extractor unit or if a pitched roof wind blowing through vents in soffit and some loose root felt Cooker hood extractor vent flap outside same as bathroom common fault took mine off sick of it banging

Last edited by spider1; 05-01-2017 at 19:22.
05-01-2017, 20:45   #6
bertyboop

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post

Yes there's an extractor in there. Its even too loud to be excess underlay flapping, and sounds more like a knock. I've had a look and can't see anything on the roof.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker147 View Post
Is it a single story extension and is there any cracks anywhere on the walls ?
Does it have a bay window ?
It's a double, but the top floor is only half size of the bottom. There's no cracks as far as I can see. No bay window

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaMouse View Post
Is it a pitched or flat roof? if its flat and they have put Grp on it could be the edge / wall fillets creaking with expansion.
Would contact the builder that did it though, he's obviously seen the job so could shed some light. No-one can really diagnose a problem without seeing the job.
It's a pitched roof, and yes will contact him first thing tomorrow.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
Yes i would go for extractor unit or if a pitched roof wind blowing through vents in soffit and some loose root felt Cooker hood extractor vent flap outside same as bathroom common fault took mine off sick of it banging
It's really getting on my nerves lol, got to a point where I've recorded it on my phone to show the builders tomorrow in case it doesn't happen.
Strange thing is that it only seems to happen at night/early morning.
05-01-2017, 22:49   #7
Snooker147

Total Posts: 71
I asked about the bay window because I have a plastic framed upvc bay and when the sun gets on it or a change of tempreture it usually makes a cracking sound

Last edited by Snooker147; 06-01-2017 at 11:20.
06-01-2017, 10:34   #8
bertyboop

That happens in the other living room, it's a different sound to that.
06-01-2017, 19:51   #9
mwh7199

Total Posts: 288
Could it be timed with the switch on of the central heating system warming up the pipes - Ours certainly creak first thing!
14-01-2017, 19:18   #10
spider1

HI did you find the solution to the noise if so could you say what it was in case anyone else has similar problem // cheers
21-01-2017, 11:55   #11
stylefree

Total Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
HI did you find the solution to the noise if so could you say what it was in case anyone else has similar problem // cheers
is your problem fixed, did you contact your builder and get it sorted
27-01-2017, 18:03   #12
spider1

Thanks for your input to the forum bertyboop you realy are a charmer
31-01-2017, 15:55   #13
bertyboop

Sorry guys.. Ive lost my marbles recently..
No I never found out what it was. Builders came round and said there's no extra underlay on the roof that could be flapping. Though it's still doing it upstairs, it's has settled.
Downstairs sounds like a brick being thrown at the house. Only happens maybe 3/4 times a week.
Builders did say though that the windows in the old part of the house have been bodged but can't see that affecting the new side.
I'm putting it down to being a new build. If it's still happening in 6 months, then I'll come back on and ask for your lots opinion .

P.s spider, yes my dear, I am a charmer
31-01-2017, 16:26   #14
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertyboop View Post
Sorry guys.. Ive lost my marbles recently..
No I never found out what it was. Builders came rounloved and said there's no extra underlay on the roof that could be flapping. Though it's still doing it upstairs, it's has settled.
Downstairs sounds like a brick being thrown at the house. Only happens maybe 3/4 times a week.
Builders did say though that the windows in the old part of the house hav/ e been bodged but can't see that affecting the new side.
I'm putting it down to being a new build. If it's still happening in 6 months, then I'll come back on and ask for your lots opinion .

P.s spider, yes my dear, I am a charmer

Got to be central heating or similar// Bertyboop love charmers anglers rest tonight quiz night if youre female buy you a drink 9.30 / Spider

Last edited by spider1; 31-01-2017 at 16:28.
31-01-2017, 21:10   #15
bertyboop

Of course I'm female.. and working in a pub I go enough without spending anymore time in one.. but thanks for the offer

Silly central heating. I'll have to give it a bash haha
01-02-2017, 00:26   #16
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertyboop View Post
Of course I'm female.. and working in a pub I go enough without spending anymore time in one.. but thanks for the offer

Silly central heating. I'll have to give it a bash haha
Sure no prob have a nice quite quite night in sure you deserve it . To many people running round these days going nowhere / thank for replying .
Reply To Topic