Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Mod warning idea

Home > General > Forum News & Feedback

Reply To Topic

04-05-2016, 18:10   #1
mikem8634

Total Posts: 2,855
When a mod issues a warning that certain things should be heeded in a thread, it seems that some people miss it or forget.

Would it be possible to add something to a thread as a constant reminder that it is proceeding under a mod warning. Something like altering the colour of the thread title text, or adding an icon that runs on every post, or changing all the post backgrounds to grey (the way the mod one is blue)?

That way the warning status could be imposed and lifted at mod will, but there would always be a very visual reminder to let the posters know exactly where they stand.

Just an idea.
_______
I respect your right to have an opinion but your opinion has to earn the right to my respect

Last edited by mikem8634; 04-05-2016 at 19:05.
04-05-2016, 18:54   #2
Mr Miyagi

Total Posts: 357
Sounds like a good idea. Just today i made the exact mistake you are talking about. I contributed to a thread only to find minutes later it was locked. Scrolled back a bit and found it, a great big mod warning. Although not deliberate and although I intended no malice or anything like that I fully expect to have my membership suspended or revoked. I accept this as technically I broke the rules by ignoring a mod message. An indicator of some kind would encourage people to look on the whole thread for the warning, read it and then not fall foul.
Its a good idea
04-05-2016, 19:05   #3
mikem8634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Just today i made the exact mistake you are talking about. I contributed to a thread only to find minutes later it was locked. Scrolled back a bit and found it, a great big mod warning. Although not deliberate and although I intended no malice or anything like that I fully expect to have my membership suspended or revoked. I accept this as technically I broke the rules by ignoring a mod message. An indicator of some kind would encourage people to look on the whole thread for the warning, read it and then not fall foul.
Its a good idea
That's exactly it. Glad it's not just me. The way it is now you have to check every previous page to know if there's an active mod warning and people just don't generally do that.
_______
I respect your right to have an opinion but your opinion has to earn the right to my respect
04-05-2016, 19:09   #4
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem8634 View Post
That's exactly it. Glad it's not just me. The way it is now you have to check every previous page to know if there's an active mod warning and people just don't generally do that.
If you have to check for a mod's warning before posting then that suggests to me that you are aware that what you intend posting may incur a mod's wrath.
_______
Michael Gove: I think people in this country have had enough of experts.
04-05-2016, 19:17   #5
Mr Miyagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
If you have to check for a mod's warning before posting then that suggests to me that you are aware that what you intend posting may incur a mod's wrath.
To you maybe. Not to me.
04-05-2016, 21:33   #6
mikem8634

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
I get your point, and if it's a clear rule breach then, yes, you are right. But I am getting at scenrios like the one in the current Hillsborough thread, where posts of a certain content type have been warned against. It is a thread-specific warning that isn't covered by the general posting rules.

Hope that makes sense.
_______
05-05-2016, 23:24   #7
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000

Total Posts: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem8634 View Post
When a mod issues a warning that certain things should be heeded in a thread, it seems that some people miss it or forget.

Would it be possible to add something to a thread as a constant reminder that it is proceeding under a mod warning. Something like altering the colour of the thread title text, or adding an icon that runs on every post, or changing all the post backgrounds to grey (the way the mod one is blue)?

That way the warning status could be imposed and lifted at mod will, but there would always be a very visual reminder to let the posters know exactly where they stand.

Just an idea.
Since most threads you post in end up with lots of warnings, or closed, or removed* (which may or may not be coincidence), wouldn't it just be easier for the mods to simply edit the thread title of anything that you post in...

... something like Topic> 'Mod warning idea (mike8634 has posted in this)'?

Surely that would save more time for the mods

*evidence at the ready for when you request it
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f)
Work out your IQ here: 100-n (when n = (total number of times following terms used in debate: 'rich richer, poor poorer','banker's bonuses','food banks') + 5 for using 'Divide and Conquer')
05-05-2016, 23:41   #8
mikem8634

Quote:
Originally Posted by *_ash_* View Post
Since most threads you post in end up with lots of warnings, or closed, or removed* (which may or may not be coincidence), wouldn't it just be easier for the mods to simply edit the thread title of anything that you post in...

... something like Topic> 'Mod warning idea (mike8634 has posted in this)'?

Surely that would save more time for the mods

*evidence at the ready for when you request it
Oh ha ha

If it said Topic> 'Mod warning idea (mike8634 has posted in this)' get your evidence in order? I'd be up for it.
_______

Last edited by mikem8634; 05-05-2016 at 23:58.
13-05-2016, 13:22   #9
yankie65

Total Posts: 36
What they need is some Rockers, then they
can fight it out amongst themselves.
13-05-2016, 17:07   #10
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 52,783
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
a "floating" warning when the thread is opened would be great, which stays central when you scroll the thread, maybe a lil cross to remove it, when youve read it AND its started annoying you
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
16-05-2016, 10:00   #11
Mr Miyagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
a "floating" warning when the thread is opened would be great, which stays central when you scroll the thread, maybe a lil cross to remove it, when youve read it AND its started annoying you
You should approach admin with that idea. Its a good one
17-08-2016, 16:38   #12
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,541
Personally I think it should be the contributors who are punished or warned or whatever and not the thread. I feel very strongly about it, a thread should never be locked or removed because one (or more) posters are being rude or whatever, it should the posters who are warned then temporarily banned, or even permanently it they`re serial offenders.
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.

Aerials and Digital TV
Reply To Topic