Sheffield Forum
Your message here

I dislike (most) MEGATHREADS

Home > General > Forum News & Feedback

Topic Closed

02-07-2016, 11:35   #1
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,628
Am I the only one who dislikes (most) MEGATHREADS ?
The moderators who insist on merging threads are assuming that everyone wants to read about everything in a MEGATHREAD, and I think they`re wrong. A good example is a thread I started today about how to get an EU passport if we do actually leave the EU. That had started to get a few interesting answers until it was subsumed in the Brexit consequences thread. To be frank I haven`t got the time or interest to read all those posts in that huge thread, so, effectively that passport thread has finished.

Why, on SF, unlike most other forums, are the moderators so keen on merging threads which aren't about exactly the same thing ? Are they short of server space or something ? But do 2 smaller threads take up any more server space than one larger one ?
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Oh, and we get our free trade deal "because we`re more important than Switzerland". Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.
Aerials and Digital TV

02-07-2016, 19:10   #2
alarmingmark

Total Posts: 460
Moan moan moan moan ......

02-07-2016, 19:17   #3
horribleblob

Total Posts: 4,848
The consequences thread is about a whole gamut of issues and is getting unwieldy, whereas your thread was quite specific. I would hope that there could be space for both.

Last edited by horribleblob; 02-07-2016 at 19:26.

02-07-2016, 20:52   #4
sibon
Attraction

Total Posts: 18,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by horribleblob View Post
The consequences thread is about a whole gamut of issues and is getting unwieldy, whereas your thread was quite specific. I would hope that there could be space for both.
I agree. In the past, mega threads served a purpose because the forum was so active. These days, there are far fewer posts and threads per day, it really wouldn't hurt to allow most of the new threads to run their course.
_______
And it's pandemonium, for the humble and the mighty

03-07-2016, 00:54   #5
Ivan Spatula

Total Posts: 208
dreadful !!
you want to raise an issue or ask a question about a particular subject , lets use the new markets as an example ..... it all gets merged into the one big long thing which bores you to tears having to troll thro to find replies to what you wanted to know rather than leave your post as a stand alone thread to get whatever info you need ..... it really does stop people using the forum as much cos mods think they are god - will this post last ? ... will my post last ? will I get banned just for stating my thoughts without slagging anyone off ?.... not long since if you went away for a few hours & then came bk on ..... click "view new posts" it would be at the max (500) .... leave it a full day now & ur lucky if it gets to 200 ........ over zealous mods , take note
_______
I just can't see the point why folk want to read rubbish like this every time folk post , so therefore I am not having a signature

04-07-2016, 05:52   #6
Dude111

Total Posts: 2,498
Sometimes threads are merged because it looks sloppy having a bunch of different threads around the site (ON DIFFERENT BASES) all with the same topic!

Looks much neater combining them all into one.......

04-07-2016, 10:27   #7
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sometimes threads are merged because it looks sloppy having a bunch of different threads around the site (ON DIFFERENT BASES) all with the same topic!

Looks much neater combining them all into one.......
Having fewer threads looks neater I agree. But a Forum is not about looking neat, it`s about people reading (and possibly contributing) to a subject. If the subject is too broad and has loads of posts which people are not interested in, they won`t bother reading it. Or, and this is significant, Google might not pick it up (or rank it as highly), if the searched for term is just part of a post as opposed to a thread title.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 10:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by horribleblob View Post
That`s exactly what I think.
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Oh, and we get our free trade deal "because we`re more important than Switzerland". Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.
Aerials and Digital TV

27-07-2016, 18:06   #8
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 14,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibon View Post
because the forum was so active. These days, there are far fewer posts and threads per day
But the most-ever simultaneously-online users record was just last September.
So when was the golden age of which you lament the passing?

12-08-2016, 21:30   #9
crookedspire

Total Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
But the most-ever simultaneously-online users record was just last September.
So when was the golden age of which you lament the passing?
I think all locals forums are on wain now including this one . Facebook offers more freedom on what can be said a personal space of sorts to express option without fear of over moderation and upsetting the core political values of few . Times are changing forums like this will be history as new social media replaces them the Internet is not a static invention. Please feel free to close my account as Crookedspire is no more .

14-08-2016, 18:02   #10
PlansBuilder

Total Posts: 12
I agree... personally (though I've only recently joined I know, but I used to use the forum a lot) my heart sinks at the thought of a megathread.

I like nice non-wavering threads that stick to the topic, even if they don't last for long, not great long lumbering megathreads that might only be relevant or of interest to me every page or two.

Simple is best!
_______
Millhouses Plans and Building Services. Great builders!
Plans free if we build! Free initial visits with advice and quote. Premises on Ecclesall Road, opposite Berkely Precinct. Please come and see us or phone to arrange a visit. 01143 211787 www.plansandbuilders.org

Topic Closed